• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Utah suggestions?

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all! Hubs has asked to go to Utah. Not sure why, since he doesn't ski, but hey I am going to run with it! Knowing there are so many resorts to close to each other. How would you go about planning a trip that balances skiing and non-skiing activities? Stay in Park City and drive to the resorts? Pick a resort to stay at? If so, which? Alta? Deer Valley? Thanks for the advice!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Park City is the best bet when traveling to SLC with a non-skier. No car needed in general once settled in because there is a good bus system. In fact, trying to drive around Park City and having to park is a bit of a pain so locals take the bus in their ski boots. Assorted options for ski in/out lodging for Park City or Deer Valley if the budget can handle the cost.

Deer Valley is on the other side of Park City. Easy to ski at both during the same trip. Note that DV is on Ikon and Park City is on Epic. Definitely better to have lift access covered with one or the other, or both, sooner rather than later. If not doing another trip on Ikon or Epic, consider the Epic Day Pass for 1-7 days. Ikon offers a multi-day pass for 2-4 days.

The Olympic museum in Park City is great fun and worth half a day or more.

A family who we met at Alta Lodge (everyone skied) when my daughter was a tween used to combine a few days of sightseeing with a spring break ski trip. I know they went to Moab one time. Would rent a car for the entire trip.

Staying at Snowbird or Alta isn't the best idea with a non-skier. Staying in SLC with a car can work out well if willing to drive 40-60 minutes for skiing. The Ikon resorts are Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton, and Deer Valley.

Where has the family been for a ski trip out west before? What kind of terrain do the skiers in the family like? What month are you considering?

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
Park City is the best bet when traveling to SLC with a non-skier. No car needed in general once settled in because there is a good bus system. In fact, trying to drive around Park City and having to park is a bit of a pain so locals take the bus in their ski boots. Assorted options for ski in/out lodging for Park City or Deer Valley if the budget can handle the cost.

Deer Valley is on the other side of Park City. Easy to ski at both during the same trip. Note that DV is on Ikon and Park City is on Epic. Definitely better to have lift access covered with one or the other, or both, sooner rather than later. If not doing another trip on Ikon or Epic, consider the Epic Day Pass for 1-7 days. Ikon offers a multi-day pass for 2-4 days.

The Olympic museum in Park City is great fun and worth half a day or more.

A family who we met at Alta Lodge (everyone skied) when my daughter was a tween used to combine a few days of sightseeing with a spring break ski trip. I know they went to Moab one time. Would rent a car for the entire trip.

Staying at Snowbird or Alta isn't the best idea with a non-skier. Staying in SLC with a car can work out well if willing to drive 40-60 minutes for skiing. The Ikon resorts are Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton, and Deer Valley.

Where has the family been for a ski trip out west before? What kind of terrain do the skiers in the family like? What month are you considering?
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. We haven't been to Utah yet as a family. Last year we hit Mount Snow - kids first big mountain. I'm an expert, kids are beginners just about to bridge to intermediate. I prioritize their terrain needs and ski school. Normally we ski local in the dc metro area as a family. My experience out west is pre-family with the latest being Keystone over 15 years ago.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Second MarzNC’s recommendation for Park City and/or Deer Valley for your family trip. Both have great ski school options and ample varied terrain, as well as fun options in town that don’t involve skiing. Shuttle to/from SLC to make things even easier. If you ski DV and want to hire a private guide, I can recommend someone who is great with kids.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you so much! This is very helpful. We haven't been to Utah yet as a family. Last year we hit Mount Snow - kids first big mountain. I'm an expert, kids are beginners just about to bridge to intermediate. I prioritize their terrain needs and ski school. Normally we ski local in the dc metro area as a family. My experience out west is pre-family with the latest being Keystone over 15 years ago.
You're welcome!

For lessons for the kids, Alta would be great based on my daughter's experience. Also that of the kids of my friends in the past 15 years. Solitude is family-friendly for travelers so I expect their kid lessons are also good. Brighton caters more to local families. School buses pull up every afternoon midweek.

I have no doubt that Park City and Deer Valley are also good for families with kids who are learning fast.

I was an intermediate who hadn't skied much as a working adult when I started my daughter in ski school at Massanutten at age 4. Between Mnut ski school and Alta ski school during spring break trips when she was a tween, she was an advanced skier by age 11 and clearly better than I was. Took several years of lessons at Massanutten, Alta, and other destination resorts out west for me to get to her level. My husband is a non-skier with no interest in traveling on a ski trip, so I ski with friends. Of course, helps to be retired. :smile:

HMSCster

Certified Ski Diva
You're welcome!

For lessons for the kids, Alta would be great based on my daughter's experience. Also that of the kids of my friends in the past 15 years. Solitude is family-friendly for travelers so I expect their kid lessons are also good. Brighton caters more to local families. School buses pull up every afternoon midweek.

I have no doubt that Park City and Deer Valley are also good for families with kids who are learning fast.

I was an intermediate who hadn't skied much as a working adult when I started my daughter in ski school at Massanutten at age 4. Between Mnut ski school and Alta ski school during spring break trips when she was a tween, she was an advanced skier by age 11 and clearly better than I was. Took several years of lessons at Massanutten, Alta, and other destination resorts out west for me to get to her level. My husband is a non-skier with no interest in traveling on a ski trip, so I ski with friends. Of course, helps to be retired. :smile:
Oh, I have questions about Massanutten too! I'm thinking a big trip out west (trying to decide between X-mas and spring break) and doing a smaller trip to Mnut. In your experience, should I shoot for one timeframe over the other for each? Our spring break is end of March which is putting us at the edge for some resorts near me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh, I have questions about Massanutten too! I'm thinking a big trip out west (trying to decide between X-mas and spring break) and doing a smaller trip to Mnut. In your experience, should I shoot for one timeframe over the other for each? Our spring break is end of March which is putting us at the edge for some resorts near me.
Do the spring break trip out west. While there are limited resorts in late March and April, will be a MUCH better family experience than during the Christmas holiday week. Combination of more daylight, more open terrain, and far less people. For SLC resorts, Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton will be open until late April per usual. Park City and Deer Valley are lower and get less natural snow, but they have more snowmaking coverage so there is plenty of open terrain in early April. All the Utah resorts that close before mid-April because the number of guests doesn't justify the expense of keeping staff on payroll, not because there isn't enough snow left.

Can only count on skiing in VA and WV until the first weekend of March. Even northern PA hills can be close to the end by then if Mother Nature doesn't cooperate after Pres. Day with enough snowmaking opportunities.

You are a bit late when it comes to booking lodging over Christmas week. I used to take my daughter to Mnut the week before Christmas, even if that meant missing a few days of school when she was younger. My niece who lived in DC would come join us for a few days.

marzNC

Angel Diva
doing a smaller trip to Mnut.
Look for a PM. I'll be at Massanutten a few times in January and February. Will be with friends with kids over the weekends.

By the way, you almost have enough posts to see the Meet On The Hill (MOTH) threads that are hidden in Divas Only. Just a few more and they should show up in a day or so.

Beckster

Certified Ski Diva
Staying at Alta is probably boring as all get out for someone who doesn't ski, assuming the non-skier is going. Years ago, the Alta shuttle driver told me a hilarious story about how he was driving up a couple of gals who thought they were on their way to a ski vacation with an amazing nightlife.
That is so very spot on. Snowbird/Alta would be worth a day trip from your vacation hub in Park City. But Snowbird and Alta’s beginner slopes are mostly near the base which may limit your options of places to meet up throughout the day. Park City & Deer Valley‘s beginner slopes may be found dispersed throughout the entire resort. And hubby/daddy could even make his way to mid-mountain via gondola, bus or car for lunch.
I 2nd what others said about staying in Park City. It is actually a small city offering loads of non-skiing activities. Plus it’s only 40 minutes to drive back down to do stuff in Salt Lake City.

marzNC

Angel Diva
That is so very spot on. Snowbird/Alta would be worth a day trip from your vacation hub in Park City. But Snowbird and Alta’s beginner slopes are mostly near the base which may limit your options of places to meet up throughout the day. Park City & Deer Valley‘s beginner slopes may be found dispersed throughout the entire resort. And hubby/daddy could even make his way to mid-mountain via gondola, bus or car for lunch.
I 2nd what others said about staying in Park City. It is actually a small city offering loads of non-skiing activities. Plus it’s only 40 minutes to drive back down to do stuff in Salt Lake City.
Good point about the gondolas at Park City and Deer Valley for a non-skier.

When driving up the Little Cottonwood Canyon road for a day trip, I can't think of a reason to take beginners to Snowbird instead of Alta. Especially in late season. The long greens off Sunnyside can be quite fun all morning and into the early afternoon even if air temperatures are in the 40s. If it's been warm (high over 50 at the base), it takes a long time for the frontside of Snowbird to soften enough to be fun even for intermediates.

I've introduced beginners and intermediates of all ages to Snowbird and Alta in the last 15 years. They always like Alta better. I liked Alta much better than Snowbird as an adventurous intermediate when I was working and only skiing during a ski vacation week out west every 2-3 years. Alta remains my favorite destination resort in the Rockies after having the chance to enjoy multiple ski trips in the Rockies with friends in recent years as a happily retired ski nut.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna