• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: types of skis

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am sure there has been discussion regarding this.

I have a pair of TOpaz Salamon skis, I am an intermediate skier.

But my question is this is there a good page on line that helps one figure out the right ski for them. I like the skis most times . they do well on groomed but I skied on icier conditions yesturday nad found even tohugh just tuned they were chattering alot and it seemed they we bouncing alto with when going form ice to mounds os snow.

Almost as though they are not flexible enough or not edging as easy.

Yes it could have been me the skier but kinda just wonder if the ski doe not match me in some way right on varied conditions.

We have a fair amount of ice in this area and just want to know if this is the right a ski for me on these less than desirable conditions if possible.

Would not know what ski to even consider. yet know this is the time to look if I am to look as sales are around.

So just wonder if there is a link or suggested websites to look for easy to follow information to help me.

Jilly

Staff member
This is a good place to start. https://www.skipressworld.com/ca/ski-finder.html

When you enter the info, don't sell yourself short either.

Also I've always found that Salomon's are not that great on ice. DH is a fan of Salomon. But now that he has a pair of Rossi's he's changed his mind. And when was your last tune or at least edge sharp. You need skates sometimes for the "eastern hardpack" we get. The Topaz also may be too soft for ice. I will say that I was surprised with the Diamond on ice. And chattering could be length too. There are so many variables.

Michelle

Certified Ski Diva
I live in Australia and it's pretty icy here too (not at the moment obviously)..

I tried the Topaz during my demos and found the same problem. It's an easy ski but doesn't do well on ice.

I ended up buying a pair of Dynastar Exclusive Fluid Limited. They were fantastic and they also made me a HEAPS better skiier!!!

Keep us posted with your thoughts and what you end up getting.

Jcb2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for your thoughts and feedback I am still not sure what to do given the level of skier I am and conditions etc so am torn I could get volkl tierra but seem to be unsure as on now in part the cost of it. But know I need ot find a ski for me that works and not alot of demo chances here. So I have a had tow shops tell me the Tierra would be good for me but it is a bit high in cost for me. Thus sitting on it. thoguh would like something for next week. oh well.

Michelle

Certified Ski Diva
Wow... i was contemplating the Tierra as well! It does have great reviews and feedback. I didn't end up getting it because I didn't like the way it looked.. Very lame, I know.

I tried the Volkl Fuego and love it. Pretty intense though.

If your thinking the Tierra but worried about the cost, try some stores in Australia. We have a lot of sales at the moment and your exchange rate isn't bad. We have:
- Larry adler
- Inski
- Paul reader

I found that getting a ski that is more advanced than me has definately helped. This of course depends on what you want from your skiing.

Miranda

Certified Ski Diva
I found that getting a ski that is more advanced than me has definately helped. This of course depends on what you want from your skiing.

ok, I was wondering what others think about this because I just got a new pair of skis that most reviewers consider an advanced ski, but I am currently somewhere between intermediate and advanced. When I demo'd them, I definitely had moments where I felt like they were skiing me, :redface: but overall felt like it would be a ski I could grow and muscle into. Do other divas have similar experiences with new skis?

Tami

Certified Ski Diva
Who is in charge?

I have been demoing like a crazy woman this year trying to find new skis. This past weekend I rode K2 Free Luv and Misbehaved and Volkl Tierra. The Misbehaved were way to short but my husband talked me into trying them, and I ended up on my face more than wax down! I don't know if the short was the cause or because they are wider than I am used to and couldn't quite adjust or maybe they took charge. Nevertheless - skiing on ones face is not the way to go down the mountain :nono:. I liked the Tierra's; although, I must admit I only took three or four runs on them as I was out of time. I would like to spend more time on them before puling out my card.

However, the best part of the entire day was in addition to demoing skis I was in yet another pair of demo boots and it looks like I finally found some that aren't crippling and almost comfy out of the box - Technica Attiva M10. The boot fitter said once I can find a pair (they don't have them in stock) he will make a couple more adjustments in addition to the foot beds he has already made and maybe (fingers crossed) I will be able to ski a few more times this year and into the future without excruciating pain within 3 hours of putting the boots on my feet. The pain reliever business will be getting less business from me...

The best part of all - my husband will be keeping up with me instead of waiting all of the time :dance:

meganh

Diva in Training
I'm tossing up whether to buy or to keep demoing this season. I have K2 Phat Luvs (now Gotback) which are pretty good for where I normally ski (a New Zealand club field which we don't groom at all except the old-fashioned way by skiiing on it). These are 103mm underfoot so a bit sluggish on the groomed and not so pretty when it gets hard.

I was in Canada in January (during the pre-games warm spell - the fatties weren't really the tool for the job with the conditions we had) and demoed a pair of K2 Lotta Luvs for a few days. These were much turnier and I liked them, then I tried a couple of runs on a demo day then about 2 hours of frenzied going-for-it at Norquay on Nordica Victory's and LOVED those for going hard on groomers and bumps. The Nordicas would be worth a try if you can find some.

Unfortunately the distributors here didn't bring in the Victory :Cry:so there are none in the country, new or used, so I'm looking wistfully at online stores and ebay and wondering if its worth shipping (dang, why didn't I just buy them and bring them back?)

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Meganh,

I'm in Christchurch too, and have a pair of Nordica Victories, which I now alternate with newer, fat skis. I was also in Canada at the start of the year, and like you, had plenty of "hardpack" to contend with (luckily I'm used to it...). The Nordicas were certainly the right tool for the job (yep, I lugged them over there) due to the lack of real powder we had there. An instructor I had in Revelstoke also owned them and loved them. I bought them online about 3 years ago from the US (porterstahoe.com, from memory). However, I'm pretty sure that model was imported, at least last year, and vaguely recall seeing a pair at Snowride Sports, after I'd bought mine. Who knows, you may have already bought some, or something else, as we have had a whole season come and go since you posted on this. I wonder what you ended up with?

Witchery

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of Rossignol SC 80's and have skiied them in very icey conditions, groomers and crud. They were great in all conditions. I skiied them on icey double blacks at Beaver Creek this year and they never once lost edge!! They are even good in powder, but when it gets deep (and i'm talking quite deep) i'd still prefer a powder specific ski.

beckt

Certified Ski Diva
I am wondering something similar..... I have been skiing on Volkl Fuegos for the past couple of winters thinking that I would be able to grow into them skill wise .... I am wondering if that was an error in judgement and I should have gotten something more suited for an intermediate skier - as I don't think I will ever be able to ski to the skill that the fuegos want to be skied at. Don't get me wrong they are great skis - but I think they ski me instead of me skiing them. Any advice? Yeah, I know demo demo demo!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna