• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tipping Mountain Hosts?

NannyMin

Banned
Today a friend and I skied Big Sky (good times! :smile: ) and since we both were rather unfamiliar with the mountain we took a mountain tour. It was a one hour tour that ended up turning into a three hour tour (great now I'm going to be humming the theme song from Gilligan's Island all evening :laugh: ). We had a great time with two mountain hosts Marty Pavelich (evidently a very famous hockey player that played for the Red Wings) and Klaus. They even lead us back to the YC access gate since we had quite the adventure finding our way from YC to Big Sky.

My question is if it is appropriate to tip mountain hosts? I wasn't sure...and I didn't want to offend them they were such sweet old guys. If I should have I will drop off a tip tomorrow.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never been in this situation, but I'm sort of leaning towards yes based on the duration of time you spent with them, if you thought their service was worthy of it. I wouldn't mind being corrected on this, though. That's so cool you skated, I mean, skied with Pavelich.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a volunteer mountain host, I love showing guests around the mountain. I speak only for myself when I say I will not accept tips---I DO suggest my tour guests buy me lunch or a beer apres ski if they insist on doing something for me---that way I get to know them, which is the most fun of all---it's a kick for me.

And the best way of saying thank you for the Host services is to write management an email with your feedback about how the hosts influenced your experience with the resort, etc. Because most resort management types are not aware of the value of the Hosts to the resort.

That said---do what feels right. I am so pleased the Hosts help make your experience a good one. That's cool.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Massive generalisation coming here... and I am sure I will get shouted down. I would think that most mountain hosts, who live in resort towns, and don't have to work during the week so they are free to volunteer their time, don't rely on tips to make ends meet (unlike a lot of ski instructors).

I only know one, a yellow jacket at Beaver Creek, and he certainly fits that category, he could buy and sell me. Although I've never asked him about the tip issue, I think he would certainly not accept it. I think a genuine thank you, and the fact that you enjoyed the mountain would be enough for him. His wife doesn't even ski due to a bad back, so doesn't even need the free pass, but she still does her time handing out cookies and cider because she just loves to get out and talk to people.

You would probably get a feel for it after skiing and talking with someone, to gauge their circumstances, but I don't think offering would offend anyone.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, most mountain hosts I know volunteer for the love of the sport/resort/people. It's a nice gig---but hosts donate their time, their skills, their energy---for reasons not related to money.

NannyMin

Banned
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I ended up calling Big Sky and asking what their policy was and found out they discourage tipping. Then thinking about a conversation we had with the hosts, I remembered that they both had mentioned wanting to ski at the Yellowstone Club. So, I made arrangements for them to be allowed in to ski for a day and to have a nice lunch.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I ended up calling Big Sky and asking what their policy was and found out they discourage tipping. Then thinking about a conversation we had with the hosts, I remembered that they both had mentioned wanting to ski at the Yellowstone Club. So, I made arrangements for them to be allowed in to ski for a day and to have a nice lunch.

What a nice and thoughtful thing to do! :thumbsup:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That is an awesome idea. You are creative and kind!

Oh, and I know who Marty Pavelich is! A great part of Red Wings History!!! Go Wings!!!

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know Big Sky pretty well--may I give you a mountain tour, too?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga