• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Thinking of going to Alta--need help!

dvmvail

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Divas!

My kids and I are headed to Vail (from Idaho) for spring break to see our friends. I usually stay in Salt Lake to break up the trip for the kiddos. A friend wanted me to go to Alta this weekend (we didn't go) but after looking at it, it looks so beautiful I really want to go!

But since I'm traveling solo with kids I always like to be as prepared as possible so I'm looking to you guys for help as I know there are quite a few Alta skiiers here.

First, it sounds like its only about 30 miles fromSLC...whats the road like? and do they keep it well plowed (as it looks like alta gets hit with snow just about every day lately) I'll probably be driving in later at night.
How about weather at the end of March? Typical spring weather?
I'm thinking of staying at the peruvian lodge...wtih the giant heated pool and all meals included, seems perfect for kids and staying on a budget.

Now the mountain, I'm a total beginner, working on my parallel turns. I get nervous on steeper blues. Skied Sun Valley a few weeks ago and their idea of greens are blues here at Bogus Basin. I thought I'd take a lesson at alta..since I could use it and then I won't be intimidated to get on the hill. There are those two lifts (sorry can't remember the names) that service that lower part of the mountian and seem to have only green runs. Will I enjoy myself on that portion or are the green runs at alta still pretty steep?

Since my kids are awesome skiers I thought I'd put them in all day ski school.

Any other tips, tricks or things to know about the area?
THANKS a Million!!!!

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey DVM,

I'll try to answer some of your questions ....

Yes. Alta is approx. 30 miles from SLC, and that's Downtown SLC. So depending on which way you come into the valley (Via I-80 or I-15), it could be significantly less.

The roads into Little Cottonwood Canyon ARE kept clear very well. But, like you said, if you do drive in later at night and we happen to be in the middle of a storm, it could be tricky. The majority of the canyon is a two lane 40 mph windy road with a passing lane for uphill traffic about 3/4 of the way up. Also, if you drive the canyon at night -- watch out for wildlife. There's been MULTIPLE moose sightings near the canyon road this year.

March can actually be a very snowy month for us, but so far, it's been nothing but bluebird days. So there's about a 50/50 chance for spring skiing or powder skiing.

The Peruvian is an AWESOME lodge. And the pool and hot tub have an amazing view of the entire mountain, and especially High Rustler. It's my favorite pool to "poach."

As a beginner, you will LOVE the Sunnyside lift. It is at the other end of the mountain from the Peruvian, so you'll have to take the shuttle from the peruvian or ride the surface tow over to the Albion Basin area. But the greens off of Sunnyside/Albion range anywhere from lovely rolling greens to slightly steeper greens, to some nice blues to some steeper blues.

And the kids ski school is great at Alta (as is the Adults). Either way, I think it will be worth your while to spend a day or two there!

dvmvail

Certified Ski Diva
Hey guys thanks SO much!! That is just what I needed to hear. I'm making my reservations today! I can't wait!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga