• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The view from the fire tower.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I hiked up the back of Okemo Mountain. It was a beautiful day -- clear sunny skies, not hot, humid, or windy. At the top of the mountain there's an old fire tower that was used years ago by the fire service. During the winter, you can see this tower when you off load at the top of Okemo's South Peak chair. Then it looks frozen and forbidding. But yesterday, on a picture perfect Saturday in July, it was exactly the opposite -- inviting and ready to be climbed.

From the top, you get an unmatched 360 degree view of the beautiful Green Mountains. To the north, Killington. To the south, Magic and Stratton. To the east Ascutney, Sunapee, even Mount Washington. And at your feet, the South Peak chair at Okemo. I felt like Maria von Trappe in the "Sound of Music," when the camera pans down on her singing at the top of a mountain and she's surrounded by a breath-taking, panoramic view of the Alps.

As usual, I left my camera behind (seems I never have it when I need it!), but it reminded me that in skiing, it's not just the ride down that I love so dearly, but the view from the top, as well. And with six areas spread out around me, I couldn't help but ask myself, "HOW AM I EVER GOING TO MAKE IT TIL SKI SEASON STARTS?"

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like a wonderful day! Was the hike down harder than the hike up?? How are your quads today?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, the hike up was harder than the way down. And my quads are fine, but my butt is a bit sore today. :D

Always amazes me -- no matter how much I work out, there's always something that ends up a bit sore when I do a different activity!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We went up the Healdville Trail -- six miles round trip. It's the only one I know back there. Are there others?

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have done that before-it's a long hike! You can go directly up the front of the mountain if you like.Last year we hiked up under the Northstar then cut over to Chief when the terrain got to rough.Chief is way steeper hiking up than skiing down!! T

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went mountain biking at one of my local ski resorts a few weeks ago. Though I love mountain biking, skiing is still where my juices really get going!

Ho hum, I guess I'll keep golfing and biking to try and keep my mind off the beautiful white blanket that winter promises.

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
It is a great view! When I picked up my season pass this year we ended up driving to the top by mistake. :loco:

I would like to go back and hike it sometime.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga