• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Ski Diva is the Boot Oracle

greekpeakskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok. I have a different sort of boot question. I have always bought my kids boots at the ski swap. On my own feet, I have a custom fitting and a great pair of Nordica Scarlets.

I am not ready to invest in that for a 12 year old who is on the edge of hating skiing and won't even do her school ski club this year.

It's sort of a miracle she skis at all -- she has a learning disability on the autism sprectrum. This has various implications for skiing -- she is uncomfortable with wide open places where she has to make decisions and the clothes, boots, equipment issue has been exhausting.

So, she has grown out of her boots and quit skiing two days this week because of cold feet. I need to know of the most comfortable, warmest boots that you can possibly think of. She doesn't think about form but skis awkwardly over the whole mountain, sometimes in a snow plow (but has been into tree skiing this year on narrow paths that I won't touch).

Skiing has been absolutely fabulous for her in so many ways and I don't want to lose the development because of the feet issue. It's like normal cold feet, discomfort issues but majorly amplified because of the LD.

She has always worn kids boots but at 5' and 110 pounds, size 8 foot, is ready to move, into a woman's boot, no? I'd want to be able to find them used on ebay or something, and they have to be mega, mega comfortable.

Oracle of a thousand women skier's voices? What future do you see?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
If you wanted to invest some bucks, I'd say boot heaters (like Hotronics) might do the trick. Failing that, have you tried those adhesive toe warmers and/or boot gloves? Both of them might help. Also, if her boots are too small, they may be cutting off her circulation, which would make her feet cold. So keep that in mind.

She's definitely ready for women's boots. I can't see any other option, given her size. I just finished shopping for boots, and of the ones I stuck my foot in, it seemed to me that the Head Dream series seemed to have the fluffiest liner. Someone else might know better, though.

greekpeakskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She can't stand the adhesive heaters. Her sister just puts those in her boots and skis. But the LD stuff has clothese issues involved so feet warmers are out (I thought about trying to spring for the hotronics but have failed with every possible configuration of the adhesive ones, don't want to spring for the bucks).

On a side note, ski diva. In my research group last week, someone outlined their new critical study (a book read by other academics) and it included Finn. I yelped. She said, "you know the book? I said, uh, no, I've skied with the author's wife."

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Keep your eye out for merchants/deals like this:

https://www.untracked.com/p424c3b40-04_tecnica_entryx_5_ladies_ski_boots.html

Al's Ski Barn carries a lot of new/old stock, at good prices.
The $10 Fed Ex return label option is a good one, should things not work out.

I sent this particular link to Tecnica, as I'm familiar with the line back to 01, have had 4 different pairs since. They are warm - with limits (such as 0+-). Toe (chemical) heaters are an option worth considering.

Tons of luck. Hope it works out, let us know.

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I see that your daughter is learning disabled. Have you checked into any possible ski services for the disabled in your area? Here in Park City, we have the National Abilities Center, with it's world-class ski program for people with any kind of disability.

As for the ski boots, we all know that if your boots aren't comfy, you won't be a happy skier. I would take your daughter to several boot stores and try on as many boots as you can. When she finds something she likes, go e-shopping to see if you can find a good price on them. Check the boot company's website to see what, if any changes were made in that boot from year to year. You might be able to find that boot at a reasonable price. With this method, you won't be buying blindly, but with a little knowlege of what you're getting.

PowDiva85

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
it sounds like it would be best if she tried some things on to make sure shes getting a good fit. At a size 8 she can definitely wear a womens boot but it will be cheaper if she stays in a junior boot and at 5' the womens cuffs may be too tall and cut circulation off in the back of the calf causing cold feet and cramping. The tecnica agent is a nice, inexpensive junior boot that has a good fit for many. make sure she has a decent amount of toe room that she can wiggle her toes into to keep circulation going.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I'm going to agree with Powdiva on this one! At 5 foot she really doesn't have the tibular length for an adult boot. I know many smaller adult women (two examiners w/PSIA) that wear a junior boot to acomodate their leg length. All junior boots are not created equal even though quite a few manufactures will go up to a 26.00 in a shell size. Some of them will be very low thru the instep and difficult for her to slip into,that could prove a problem in this situation. I would look for a model that falls just below a Jr. Race for a little better fit. I'm even wondering about a Dalbello CX-3 it is a fairly simple 3 buckle design a little less complicated getting in and out of hence maybe eliminating some of the frustration in getting ready. Normally I am very keen on performance but in this case I think you are more concerned with keeping her on the hill with minimal fuss and maximum comfort. If you are going to go with an adult boot I would look for the lowest possible cuff and flex. She still has a childs muscle mass. Her foot should slow down radically in growth once she has started her menstral cycles so that could effect the amount of money that you want to spend on her boot. I'm not sure what to tell you on the boot heaters, the only problem for her with the electronic heaters would be the battery packs and the expense.
On a side note, Where have you been? Haven't seen you on here in a long time! Did you decide to teach this year? Or maybe I just haven't been around on the forums enough this year.Lol!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For warmth you might try Boot Gloves with a toe warmer outside the boot but under the boot warmer I've now heard 2 Divas (Pinto and Katy Perrey) who swear by this method.

I've actually coached a girl with similar clothing and texture issues and can appreciate how frustrating it can be. I hope you and she are able to come to a point where skiing truly is a release and enjoyable for both of you.

greekpeakskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know that you guys are doing a great job w/ this oracle reputation. i'm going to try the boot gloves and toe warmer first. she can get her boots on and off which (in keeping with the greek theme) has been tantamount to sysyphus).

i have't been on the boards much this year --- i injured my knees skiing in utah last april and so have had an edge of fear in my skiing that has tempered my skiing. no operation, but i had to do pt and stop running for six months (discovered sculling which was a glorious summer sport).

i'm really quite distressed about how my ability took a dive when i became tenuous about injury. i'm going up for a lesson tomorrow morning to try to recoup.

and i'll order boot warmers today.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know what boots are warmest. I do know that Salomon has a much thicker liner than other junior boots though. I personally would not put her in a women's boot because it is going to be too difficult for a girl at this age to flex. One thing I have found with the junior boots is many brands have a very short instep, most girls have higher insteps, I would make sure that the boot has enough volume in this area. ( For example take a look at a Rossignol jr boot, very low instep as you can see from looking at it. )

greekpeakskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SCORE! it worked. we put the boot gloves on today and she skied happily for 4 hours. she said her feet were warm and happy. thanks, gals/women/ladies/ski divas/equipment wonks/ski addicts/boot oracles.

when it gets really cold, we'll put the chemical heat thing between the boot and the cover.

but you suggestion was perfect because it didn't mess with the clothing configuration we had worked out as comfortable. no worrying about different kinds of boots and whether they'd fit and/or keep her warm.

and i would have never thought of it if i hadn't trecked to the cave of the boot oracles, cast the sticks, and asked. thanks, folks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga