• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Great Length Debate

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I agree, the most intelligent input I received from an experienced salesman was that in general there are 3 possible lengths that will work for a person. All the other salesguys steered me toward the shorter ski and never hinted that other lengths could be considered.

abc

Banned
In all fairness, most salesmen do ask what level of skiing the skiers are (at least they asked ME). Beginers are steered into shorter length.

However, that's not the whole picture. It's when it comes to intermediate and advance skiers things gets complicated. Because even within levels, there're different style significant enough to change the equation. Mis-judgement my weight is, of course, a different matter.

For me, it's as much an education process for me as for the sales guys in the shop. At first, I didn't realize what are the factors going into deciding length. So, I didn't give intelligent enough answers when I was asked how I ski. Granted, the question probably should have been more clear. But it took a while before I came to the realization I need to volunteer specific information on what terrain (and HOW) I ski. And if need be, ask questions directly "how do you decide ski length?"!!!

I doubt this is a girls only problem though. While girls tend to get "short"-changed, guys had them all over the map! Trot over the epicski.com, there're always one or two active thread on "did I buy the wrong length ski?" or the like.

Jean M

Diva in Training
My two cents...

I recently demoed 152 Fischer V70's. I had a great time on them, but I was used to the 130's that I learned to ski on. I LOVE short quick turns and had some trouble really kicking them around. My husband does moguls and so of course I am motivated get better at them to keep up with him. I went back to the shop and the salesperson knew I was waffling between 152 and 146. He left it completely up to me which was nice. I went with the 146 as very short quick turns are priority for me. The 152's were so much more stable than the soft 130s I had, that I knew 146 would be fine for me at speed.

As has been said already, you need to decide what your priorities are and where you are willing to "compromise".

I love my 146's.
FYI: I am 5'3" 120lbs. I generally carve on blues and skid on blacks.

Again I would reiterate what has already been said regarding weight. My husband got his skis last year and found them great at speed. At the beginning of this season he was 10lbs heavier than last and found them not as stable. He gained another 10 since December and they are really starting to quake at speed. He was on a work trip , rented longer skis and found they worked better than his own that he bought when he was lighter.

Lots of variables make decisions tough. You really have to try the skis to decide.

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jean, that's interesting that you went with the 146's. Have you tried them yet? I also ordered Vision 70's, and they just arrived. I am almost the same size, 115 lb and 5'2, and about a level 6 skier, although I like to ski pretty fast. There was no chance to demo them, so I went with the 152's on the advice of others. I am currently skiing on Volkl 149's, and skied for many years on 170-180 straight skis. I'm going skiing next weekend and will get to try them then. I always wonder if you should calculate your weight fully clothed and after lunch, or sans clothes pre-breakfast. Probably about a 5 lb weight difference there.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cambridge Kate said:
I don't think you can compare across different skis. The design has everything to do with the length at which they are best for you.
Absolutely! There is no one best ski length for a person. There is only a 'better' length for a particular ski for a person and that length is truly dependant on all the factors in the beginning of this thread. That is why many of us have quivers. For example:
For really short, powerful turns on hard snow, I use my P60 SL slalom skis at 155cm.
For versatile all around skiing and hard bumps on hard to medium snow, I use my 6*, now in a 168cm, up from my original 161cm after being able to demo both on the same day.
For really soft snow, crud, slush, and pow, I use my Karmas at 177cm for power in the crud and stability in the longer turns and higher speeds used to negotiate that stuff.
For medium to hard snow at the highest speeds and biggest turns, I use my Ractiger GS at 180cm.

Obviously, my height and weight don't change with each ski, so each length is chosen based on the skis' designated speeds, turn sizes, and snow conditions. All will function in each condition, but each has their niche for optimum performance.

Ultimately, only demoing can determine what is the right size for a given ski.
Again, absolutely!

Shorter skis are a lot easier on the body.
Ummmm, not necessarily. Those shorter skis will truly punish you in crappy snow because they will want you to make way too many turns and they'll be unsteady at the speeds you really need to power through glop and slop, plus they'll sink in even the thinnest pow.

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very enlightening!

volklgirl said:
There is no one best ski length for a person. There is only a 'better' length for a particular ski for a person and that length is truly dependant on all the factors in the beginning of this thread. That is why many of us have quivers. For example:
For really short, powerful turns on hard snow, I use my P60 SL slalom skis at 155cm.
For versatile all around skiing and hard bumps on hard to medium snow, I use my 6*, now in a 168cm, up from my original 161cm after being able to demo both on the same day.
For really soft snow, crud, slush, and pow, I use my Karmas at 177cm for power in the crud and stability in the longer turns and higher speeds used to negotiate that stuff.
For medium to hard snow at the highest speeds and biggest turns, I use my Ractiger GS at 180cm.

Obviously, my height and weight don't change with each ski, so each length is chosen based on the skis' designated speeds, turn sizes, and snow conditions. All will function in each condition, but each has their niche for optimum performance. QUOTE]

You've summed up the dilemma for those of us who can only afford one ski. I'm hoping my Fischer Visions 70s will do it all! That goal may be attainable given my intermediate level.

I'm curious---do you sometimes take 2 or more skis with you, for changing conditions?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnowGlider said:
You've summed up the dilemma for those of us who can only afford one ski. I'm hoping my Fischer Visions 70s will do it all! That goal may be attainable given my intermediate level.
A good all-mountain ski in an appropriate length for you will usually work well enough in most conditions. Some will do better at ice, others are better in slop, but all should do well on runs with groomed snow.

SnowGlider said:
I'm curious---do you sometimes take 2 or more skis with you, for changing conditions?
:o Today I had all of the above plus my blades in the car. I actually used the SLs for the hard morning snow and the Karmas for the ankle deep mashed potatoes we got in the afternoon. I was having waaaay too much fun on the Karmas to give them up just to go race.:D

altagirl

Staff member
SnowGlider said:

More often than not, I take two pairs. I know I've taken three pairs on several occasions. And I think once I took four... We try to limit it to a number that will fit in the racks once we have one pair out to ski on so we're not leaving skis unlocked in the bed of the truck.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's probably not fair for me to answer this, because we keep all our skis in the patrol room, but I definitely take advantage of having quick access to whatever ski I think will work best. There are definitely days I start on one ski and switch to another as the conditions change throughout the day. :o

However, as volklgirl said, an all-mountain ski in the appropriate length will serve you well in pretty much all conditions. It was only a few years ago that I had only one ski, and it was a carving ski. I used it in all conditions, including when I was in Utah and had 8 days of powder. And when we go out West for a trip even now, we each only bring one pair, the midfats. Sometimes we'll take the opportunity to demo skis if we really feel we'd rather be on a different width ski.

I admit, it is nice to be spoiled by having some choices though. :smile:

Thatsagirl

snowsprite

Diva in Training
It is good to have choice. I tend toward skis that are 159-163 in length. But this weekend I skiied, for the first time, a ski in a 150 that was very very fat at the waist. This proved optimum in the trees where tight areas would normally trip up my longer skis.

The way I see it, I can never have too many shoes...or too many skis.
:cool:
Sprite

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I almost always take two sets of skis on trips. I will leave my fat skis at home only if it's a short trip and the forecast shows no chance of new snow or warm weather. If there were such a thing as a triple ski bag and I could keep it under 50 pounds (I fly), I might be tempted to pack a third pair just for going fast on groomers. But then I guess I'd need a ski valet to follow me around and switch things out, so maybe not.

abc

Banned
I just came back from a trip when I only used my own ski ONCE!

I only own one ski, and planned to own only one. That was, before this trip. It snowed every single day! There's powder EVERYWHERE, except on the runs they groomed (why they groom the powder is beyond me, but that's a side trek).

I think I might reconsidered my one ski quiver. The midfat I rented still wasn't fat enough for the foot deep powder. Yeah, they work a lot better than my east coast ice ski. But I wish I had something in the 80mm+ width range. Would have made for a less streneous day(S). And I'm talking about 5 consecative days of powder, for a girl who's never seen real powder (the fluffy kind) before! It was hard work.

But seriously though, one can only take at most two pairs for a fly away trip. So, it'll have to be optimize which TWO to take. It's a bit of guess work. I'm incline to have one narrow, soft one for skiing the hard, bumpy snow near home, and one mid-to-fatty one for away trips. Depending on the forecast, I may or may not even bother to bring the real narrow one if there's lots of snow and the forecast is favorable.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna