• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Telemark?

daniwrites

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Everyone,

I was watching some telemark videos last night and I grew more curious about this style of skiing.

I just wanted to hear from those who telemark ski what they like about it, and if it was easier or harder to learn/master than alpine skiing?

Not sure if I will attempt any time soon but I am interested in learning more.

Thanks!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I loved teleing when I did it. I would say it's harder to learn simply due to the vulnerability, which is a huge part of the fun. Essentially the difference in traditional tele over alpine is the extension of two skis into one, hence the term tele, like a telescope slides apart. Which is where the vulnerability comes in as you are on one edge essentially, but only really by the toes of each boot. In order to get the skis to operate as one unit fluidly you really have to go alot faster than you do learning to alpine. The cool thing is when you do arc a big tele turn, your body is at such a cool angle with the mountain and it's just truly an exhilerating feeling. If you apply yourself and commit it's not terribly difficult to learn, but it's so easy to go back to the alpine skis or the parallel turn when the going gets tough. So you just really have to commit to it. I guess the best advice to offer is don't turn and then pull the uphill foot back and flex. Essentially you drive,almost like walk, the uphill ski down and around the lower foot and that knee flexes during the pass as you pull it back to create one ski. That is where most people get tied up in the learning process they turn and then flex.

daniwrites

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Gloria! The turns are what amazed me in the first place. It truly does look exilerating. I think I should work on my alpine skills first and then possibly giving tele a try.

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tele is a blast, but yes it is very hard to learn. For years and years you'll still be a beginner! I'm learning, but slowly - due to my knee rehab, I haven't been doing much tele this year. I'm sure it will be back to square one next year.

For people used to heavy alpine gear, the light tele set up will be an incredible feeling. Tele also keeps your feet warmer because you can flex your toes in the boots.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For people used to heavy alpine gear, the light tele set up will be an incredible feeling. Tele also keeps your feet warmer because you can flex your toes in the boots.

Amen to that. When my daughter was learning to ski, I thought that would be the perfect time to learn. I really liked not only the lightness of the equipment, but it's incredibly easier on your body when taking little kids up the rope-tow. For some reason it's just lots easier on your back. When I used to go back and forth between the equipment I would occasionally step down onto my uphill alpine ski like it was a tele ski. Always kind of an interesting feeling. Do you ever notice yourself doing this?

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I would disagree with hard to learn. Hard to perfect is more like it, and this is where a few good lessons will really help. The right tele set up is important - I learned on leathers w/metal edge mountaineering skis ( dating myself here) and couldn't believe the difference a set of T2's made.

Much alpine technique will transfer over, esp. edge to edge transfer, dynamic motion (rise/fall) during the turn, pole plants, etc. Most strong alpine skiers that I know take to tele immediately, but do need to really focus on centering weight on BOTH feet. There's real tendency to put all the weight on the forward leg and drag the rear ski like a rudder. Also common is to stand on both knees and bend them just a little but not really drive with the big toe/little toe - this is called the "fake a mark" turn.

The hardest thing for me is getting aggressive in anything that less than perfect conditions. I've got pretty good basic technique, but I start to flail when it gets challenging. I guess you could call me a fair weather tele skier. Crud or ice, forget it.

Funny the comment about lighter gear. Yes, it is lighter than alpine, but right now I am wishing for heavier tele skis that I can really drive into the crud we get around here.

gg

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Amen to that. When my daughter was learning to ski, I thought that would be the perfect time to learn. I really liked not only the lightness of the equipment, but it's incredibly easier on your body when taking little kids up the rope-tow.

I've run into a handful of women skiers on the east coast who have told me they picked up tele when they had kids....to keep skiing on the flatter trails interesting. It made a lot of sense to me. It's one of those things that I'd love to learn, but I get out to the slopes so infrequently, it's tough for me to hang up the alpine boots and say, "Hey, let me try this new technique that I'm sure to suck at on one of my 15 ski days." :smile: So, for me, I'll pick up tele if I ever get more ski days in or have kids.

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, that is a great idea! Teach a non-skier friend how to alpine while you're learning tele. It really does suck to be stuck on the green slopes all day teaching someone to ski if you don't have a way to challenge yourself.

IttyBittyBetty

Certified Ski Diva
Tele Skiing

I learned to tele a little more than 2 years ago. I had been a good alpine skier and then a very good snow boarder when I started dating a guy who had never skied (but is a great athlete). We decided to both learn tele at the same time so we'd be closer in skill level.

We took lessons, which I would highly recommend. We also bought new equipment; shaped skis (mine are actually alpine skis) and solid plastic boots. Finally, we committed to only doing tele at least for the first year. I'm now into my third season and I haven't been on alpine skis or a snow board since I started telemark skiing.

As another skidiva said, it's not too difficult to learn the basics of how to tele, especially if you take some lessons. I was reasonably proficient on the blue runs by the second day. Now, perfecting the art of tele so that it's smooth, graceful, effortless.... that will take me years, even with 40+ days a year on the slopes. But that's one of the things I like about tele skiing. There's always something to work on to get better.

Tele skiing is rhythmic and swoopy. I find myself singing out loud when I tele ski (and I don't wear an iPod). More and more, I have those beautiful moments of grace when my turns are effortless and I'm skiing through powder that's up to my chest ('cause you're down so low). I highly recommend learning IF you will be able to make a commitment to spend many days on your tele skis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga