• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Take an instructor training course before taking an instructor training course???

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I'm taking an ITC at Mountain A Dec 6-7. I'm really hoping that after the course I get offered a part-time gig at Mountain A. I'd really like to work there, they have a great atmosphere and some of the best terrain for teaching beginners.

I just saw that Mountain B is having their ITC this weekend, Nov 29-30. They charge $85 for the weekend, including lift tickets, so it's a pretty good deal and you get lots of instruction/personal coaching. They do have a second weekend for potential employees as it's 'invite only.'

I'm thinking of taking the ITC at Mountain B this weekend to get ready for and increase my chances of perhaps getting hired at Mountain A. Does that sound like a good plan? I am over thinking this? I don't really have $85 buck to spend to take it at Mountain B, but if it increases my chances of getting a job at Mountain B (and therefore getting a season pass) it could potentially save me a lot of money later this winter. Would it look bad if I got invited back to Mountain B's second weekend and turned them down to take the course at Mountain A?

Please, any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks Divas!!!

abc

Banned
I was going to say "take it" until I got tto the point when you wrote "I don't really have $85... " part!

If your main objective is to save money, I don't see the point of spending it when it probably don't add that much to your chances...

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that $85 for a weekend of coaching and skiing is a bargain. By knowing what to expect, you might be more relaxed in your second class, increasing your chances to be hired where you really want to be. I say go for it.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can swing the $85 in any way, I'd definitely say go for it! Taking an ITC years ago taught me more about my skiing, and skiing in general, than any other instruction I got or paid for before that. Plus it will give you the confidence and experience to help you with your actual hiring clinic and that combination is priceless!

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Thanks for the feedback ladies! I did ultimately decide it was worth the investment. It was a very enlightening day. I did learn A TON already but I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about my chances of getting the instructor gig this season [emoji20]

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I was pessimistic because I was definitely the weakest skier in my group. I fell three times on the first day. I haven't fallen since.... well its been quite a while. And we went on this really awkward, bumped up black diamond I've never been on before and bumps are my kryptonite. :fear:The injury to the ego was the worst though...

The kids in my group have all been skiing since they were 3 or 4 years old. And here I am, skiing only three years, maybe 8 days a season, having taken 3 or 4 lessons in my whole, short ski career. I really didn't think I have a strong enough skill set to make the cut. So I was feeling pretty dejected after yesterday.

However, today went MUCH better and apparently I ski well enough to teach beginners, so I GOT THE JOB!:yahoo:
:jumphappy:

I just finished filling out my employment packet :thumbsup:

NOW the conundrum... This weekend at Mountain B was focused on our personal ski development. Next weekend we will learn how to actually teach beginners to ski. But next weekend is also the ITC at Mountain A. Given how this weekend went, I'm assuming that if I can get a job at Mountain B, I will be given one at Mountain A also, which is the one that I was originally aiming for. However, there is the chance that I don't get it, whereas, I definitely have the job at Mountain B.

Mountain B is a much bigger, more commercial mountain. It also has more challenging, varied terrain. I think I would get way more teaching experience there just because they have a greater volume of visits and my sense is that they have more, higher-certified instructors. I think it would be an excellent mountain to develop teaching skills as well as ski skills. The downside, to me personally at least, is that it gets A LOT of traffic. Weekends and holidays can be very crowded and downright dangerous. Though I will probably be spending most of those types of days sequestered in their 'learning zone' with never-evers and real beginners.

Mountain A is a little smaller, more family-oriented mountain. Terrain is nice, but a bit limited in comparison. Its a more 'locals' kind of place (its not a resort as there is no where to stay on-mountain). I think it would be a 'comfortable' mountain to learn to teach at. Nothing wrong with that, but one thing I've learned- you don't learn much staying 'comfortable.'

So now I don't know what to do about next weekend!!! But there are worse problems to have. I will probably end up going to Mountain B because I have an appointment with their boot fitter next Sunday. :becky: After reading the uncomfortable boots thread and the feed back I got this weekend, I have a strong suspicion that I need a bit of a heel shim...

abc

Banned
First, congratulation.

I would stick with Mountain B. Just tell Mountain A you got a job at a different mountain that's why you back out. That way, if you end up not liking it there, you can always ask if mountain A will take you half way through the season. A lot of mountains do take on new staff because of drop outs and injuries of existing staff.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Climbingbetty, I remember skiing with you at Whiteface! You have come so far! Congratulations!

Thank you! Yes! I have come a long way. That was my first season. I still remember some of the drills I learned during my lesson at Whiteface. I even discussed one of them today. :-)

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Climbing Betty, I will clue you in on a bit of a secret, and please do not in any way think that this diminishes your accomplishment. Well done!

Most smallish mountains are desperate for instructors. The only reason not to hire people is if you get the "they're an odd duck" vibe. Most ski schools know that they can teach folks how to teach and ski. But, they can't teach the characteristics that make someone kind, friendly, trustworthy, dedicated, etc.

Have a great season! You will never regret deciding to teach. Think about joining PSIA at some point. The materials and professional gear discounts are worth the dues.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Climbing Betty, I will clue you in on a bit of a secret, and please do not in any way think that this diminishes your accomplishment. Well done!

Most smallish mountains are desperate for instructors. The only reason not to hire people is if you get the "they're an odd duck" vibe. Most ski schools know that they can teach folks how to teach and ski. But, they can't teach the characteristics that make someone kind, friendly, trustworthy, dedicated, etc.

Have a great season! You will never regret deciding to teach. Think about joining PSIA at some point. The materials and professional gear discounts are worth the dues.

No worries- I did figure that out when everyone in the course this weekend was given a job. Apparently it was the first time *everyone* was given a job, most years there is apparently one or two 'odd ducks' as you say.

At the end of last season I attended an info session at Mountain A about instructing and that was the impression I got- that as long as you could ski intermediate train competently (I can) and had a friendly personality, you'd pretty much have the job. So all summer long I planned on simply getting the job. Then, about the beginning of October, the one girl 'friend' I sometimes ski with told me about a mutual acquaintance of ours, someone who is a WAY better skier than I am, who applied at Mountain A and got turned down. Until that moment, I never doubted that I would get the job, because I had that same impression- they were pretty desperate for instructors, my availability was well-matched to their needs, etc. Anyhow, that little conversation totally shook my confidence. And when I struggled to keep up with the rest of my group on the first day, I REALLY started to doubt myself.

I did later come to find out from a different friend that Mr. Superstar Skier is a d*ck and that's probably why he didn't get the gig!

Anyway, yes, I definitely plan to get involved with the PSIA. I have to have 25 documented teaching/training hours before I can join as registered member. 50 documented teaching/training hours to take Level 1 exam. My goal is to prepare to take & pass Level 1 at the end of this season. I've already been combing the PSIA- East's website for info and study guides :becky:. I'm game to ride this train as far as I can. I really love skiing and I will come back to teach as many seasons as they will have me. It fits well with my schedule/real job. I don't need to make money as an instructor, but if I can SAVE money on passes and gear, that works well for me. And I like the fact that I can work on improving my own skiing while teaching others. Since I'm still largely 'new' and self-taught, I feel like now is a great time within my own ski development to learn the 'proper' way to ski and to keep skiing for a long time. I've got big goals and aspirations and this is an opportunity that is definitely going to help me get there!

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyway, yes, I definitely plan to get involved with the PSIA. I have to have 25 documented teaching/training hours before I can join as registered member.

Do you? I just signed up online and became a PSIA member - pin and everything! - with no requirements except cold, hard cash. Full access to the classes and documents.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
To become a Registered member of PSIA-E/AASI (Eastern Division), the requirements are:
  1. Be an active employee of a snowsports school that conducts a regular program of instructor education and training and/or be a member of a PSIA-E/AASI recognized snowsports school.
  2. Complete 25 hours of combined in-house training and actual on hill teaching, as attested to by the snowsports school director. The training should include areas of skill and knowledge addressed in the American Teaching System.
  3. Be 16 years of age or older, at time of application.
  4. Complete a New Member Application and pay dues to the Association.
The primary goal of PSIA-E/AASI is to provide the tools and events to allow our members to continually improve their snowsports instruction skills.

@bounceswoosh That's cut and pasted from the website. Maybe your regional division has different criteria???

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To become a Registered member of PSIA-E/AASI (Eastern Division), the requirements are:
  1. Be an active employee of a snowsports school that conducts a regular program of instructor education and training and/or be a member of a PSIA-E/AASI recognized snowsports school.
  2. Complete 25 hours of combined in-house training and actual on hill teaching, as attested to by the snowsports school director. The training should include areas of skill and knowledge addressed in the American Teaching System.
  3. Be 16 years of age or older, at time of application.
  4. Complete a New Member Application and pay dues to the Association.
The primary goal of PSIA-E/AASI is to provide the tools and events to allow our members to continually improve their snowsports instruction skills.

@bounceswoosh That's cut and pasted from the website. Maybe your regional division has different criteria???

I guess so! Or maybe "registered" means a different level ...

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Do you? I just signed up online and became a PSIA member - pin and everything! - with no requirements except cold, hard cash. Full access to the classes and documents.

So after all of that- I called the division office the other day, asked what documentation I need to provide of my 25 hours to apply for membership and she was just like, "none, we just sort of take you on your word that you've done that. We will ask for documentation of your 50 hours before taking your level 1 exam though."

Anyway, so my membership went through yesterday. I'm like a kid in the candy store now!!! Wish I would have waited to make a few purchases though... C'est la vie, I suppose.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna