• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summit County Ski Trip Recommendations

ski-gypsy

Diva in Training
Hi everyone,
Hubby and I are going to Summit County Feb 1, 2010 trip. We rented a small condo for 6 weeks and I'm looking for some "insider advice/info" for best places to ski (special runs??), places to avoid, good locals restaurants/pubs, ski shops, etc..... I know we'll be doing a lot of exploring on our own, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.:dance:

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Ski-Gypsy, let me be the first to welcome you to Summit County!
I live here full time, so I know a few things... First off, where is your condo, Breck, Frisco, Dillon, Copper? Because I buy the Epic Pass, I only ski Vail resort mountains. My fave is Keystone, longer runs, wide variety of terrain, less hubbub in the village and a really great ski & ride school. My favorite ski tune shop is there too. It just recently moved to the main village, but the staff and equipment is the same. It's on the right as you walk in the village, just past a store called Goulch (sp?). If your renting skis, Christy Sports is a good bet. They also operate a company called Ski Butler that will come to you anywhere in the county. As for restaurants, sorry my opinion isn't high in that area, except for the "Steak & Rib" in Breckenridge. The S&R is owned by some great people and the food is always good. There is a cable station, channel 8, called Resort Sports Network (RSN), that has a morning show from 7am to 9am that will give you updated snow and county info. There is also a RSN show called Dining on the Divide for restaurant ideas. The local paper "Summit Daily News" is online and has lots of local info. If you have other questions just ask.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Summit Daily News is required reading. Has info on events, sales, dining coupons, etc.

Try "Snake River Saloon" just outside of Keystone. There should be some kind of discount coupon in the SDN.

For Mexican, Fiesta Jalisco is wonderful. There are 3 or 4 of them and all are excellent.

For great almost-NY pizza, try Jersey Boys. They are on the road from I-70 to Keystone, make a right turn where the sign is for the PO etc., then your first left. They also have a happy hour with discount pizza and beer. Eat a slice for me.

On a busy day at Keystone, head straight for the Outback; it's generally not crowded. Great tree skiing when there's enough snow and fresh powder. Keystone also does a $5 snowcat ride from the top of the Outback chair. I believe that Copper has free snowcat skiing.

Have a great time. :yahoo:

ski-gypsy

Diva in Training
Thanks for the comments! Wahineski2: We've got a condo in dillon, in the general area of the Dillon Brewery. We bought the Colorado Pass, I think it gives us 10 days at Vail/Beaver Creek.

Skibum4ever: My husband noticed the "outback" at Keystone and the $5 buck cat rides. We're looking forward to the tree skiing, and we'll be checking out Copper too!

We hope it starts snowing sooon.....so there'll be a decent base by the time we get there.

Thanks for the info, if you think of any other help/info, please don't hesitate to pass it along.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check chaneel 22 for road conditions, ie, if it's a snowy day and you're thinking of going to Vail or Beaver Creek, cameras show road conditions on I-70.

Radio station Crystal 93 gives snow reports around 7:10 am. Also lots of info on what's going on in the county.

Also can't help with restaurants but City Market is nearby and Safeway is in Frisco.

From what I hear it's been snowing all day, at least at Copper and Loveland. Snow conditions aren't bad on groomed runs, but they still could use more snow to open the off-piste areas.

I also have the Colorado Pass but mostly ski Copper. We have friends who are checking in a condo tomorrow in Dillon and will be here for 2 mos. so I'm sure I'll get to Keystone, they love it but it's my least fav of the Summit resorts.

Like Wahineski2 said, if you have questions, just ask.

ski-gypsy

Diva in Training
Thanks Little Lightning!

Once we're up there I'm sure I'll have a few questions or few experiences to share. It'll be interesting which areas turn out to be my favorite. "Pray for Snow"

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally I don't like Keystone very much. Actually, I don't like the Vail Resorts options in Summit County much. Mostly logistics issues for both because of parking and such but you may be saved those issues if you use the Summit Stage. I ski mostly Copper followed by Vail. And I do enjoy Arapahoe Basin. Copper does have a free snowcat but to get to the real goods in the area you'll still need to hike. And, actually you can get to good stuff at Keystone with a short hike as well.

I'm biased but my favorite ski shop is Podium Sports in Frisco (right below the Backcountry Brewery). I like supporting local shops anyhow, especially when it comes to sports shops as I believe they are better educated and more in touch with the local needs.

Additional restaurants to check out would be Food Hedz in Frisco (Katy took me there this week and I had a simple soup and salad but the soup was fantastic and she had an amazing looking marlin special) and Red Mountain Grill. Of course, everyone knows I'll recommend a trip over to Edwards in the Vail Valley for Dish. I've taken several Divas there and they've all enjoyed it as well.

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, we are also taking an extended trip to Summit County. We are leaving Jan 8th for a month in Frisco. Can't wait, I am starting to bounce off the walls!
We have the Epic pass and will mostly be skiing Breck & Keystone, with a trip to Vail/BC a couple times a week.
Any other recomendations for restaurants?
Best places to XC ski (on off days).
Also where is the best place for new boots & boot fitting? My husband needs new boots and has a difficult time finding boots that fit due to his long, skinny, flat foot.

Thanks,
Greeley

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Ski-Gypsy, I forgot to mention the Fat Tuesday celebration at Keystone, 2/16/2010. It's great fun, parade that I may be in, kids activities. I thought I'd mention it because you won't be here for the Breckenridge Ullr Fest this week. Ullr Fest (Ullr Norse god of Winter) is the silliest local festival ever.
I also forgot to mention the Arapaho Cafe in Dillon for good breakfasts. Raspberry french toast, my fave :drool:

EmilieW

Certified Ski Diva
I just wanted to say that I'm super jealous of you! I LIVE in Colorado and don't get to ski as much as you will :smile: Have a great time!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey, we are also taking an extended trip to Summit County. We are leaving Jan 8th for a month in Frisco. Can't wait, I am starting to bounce off the walls!
We have the Epic pass and will mostly be skiing Breck & Keystone, with a trip to Vail/BC a couple times a week.
Any other recomendations for restaurants?
Best places to XC ski (on off days).
Also where is the best place for new boots & boot fitting? My husband needs new boots and has a difficult time finding boots that fit due to his long, skinny, flat foot.

Thanks,
Greeley

Found out last week that VR ski passes are good at the Keystone Nordic center. Frisco and Breck also have Nordic centers. You can also XC ski or snowshoe up Boreas Pass. These aren't the only places check at visitor center or locals for more places.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Found out last week that VR ski passes are good at the Keystone Nordic center. Frisco and Breck also have Nordic centers. You can also XC ski or snowshoe up Boreas Pass. These aren't the only places check at visitor center or locals for more places.
Woah! That's cool news. Might have to finally give it a try one of these days!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga