• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sticking with it....

For all of you intermediate skiers like me, and perhaps advanced skiers too, have you ever had one of those days that started poorly and you stuck with it and wound up having a fantastic day? That was me yesterday....

I skied Stowe in deep powder conditions mid-December, learned a LOT, but except for 1 day up there, haven't really had a chance to just move down longer groomed runs to work on my form, stance, and speed this season as I've primarily been at a smaller local resort with my kids, stopping frequently to wait for or watch them, and practicing skiing switch on green runs when I've had my twin tips. Anyway, yesterday DH and I went to Stratton for the day.

When we got on the lifts at 9 am, it was cloudy and CROWDED. DH was grumpy as he wasn't feeling well, and the upper half of the mountain was covered with thick fog, pea soup. We headed over to the Sun Bowl, usually my favorite area, and thank G-d we know the resort because visibility was awful. Black Bear, usually a great blue warm up run, was super crowded, skied off, with terrible visibility. Next we headed over to a black run on the upper mountain, North American. Snow was much better but still a little too busy for my taste (I'm spoiled as I primarly ski mid-week and weekends at a smaller, uncrowded hill) and still with very poor visibility. The combination of not being able to see and skiers and riders whizzing by made me pretty jittery. And then the equipment issues started to happen.

Last year I purchased Volkl Attiva AC3s, and concluded they were too long and traded them down to a 156. Finished the season with them and had some great days. This year, my skiing style is really changing as I'm finally moving toward a more advanced (translation: correct) form and carving more efficiently. I think last year I was primarily skidding my turns on the AC3s. This season, I've been skiing on Volkl Attiva AC2s, Solomon Mynx, and Solomon Scarlets, all softer, easier to flex skis. Yesterday I couldn't get those AC3s to flex or cooperate and my right ski would occasionally just start to move left-right-left-right in the middle of a turn! Also, my new boots are now broken in (yesterday was day 10) and felt loose on the right, so I buckled them tight and my foot was killing me!

After that black run, we ended up at the base lodge and I decided to switch skis for my AC2s, which I brought with me "just in case" (good planning as it turned out). This would have involved me getting my bag from bag check, changing boots, taking the shuttle to parking lot 1, and doing that all in reverse. DH was in a better mood by then (maybe feeling a bit guilty for being grumpy?) and offered to switch my skis for me (snowboard boots are easier to walk in). I gratefully accepted, went inside, and had a cup of tea, and took my time adjusting my boots so they were properly fit.

Fast forward. Next few runs was MUCH better, ok, maybe I should sell the AC3s as I seem to need a more flexible ski these days and I don't really need 2 sets of carvers. The AC2s held an edge very well on the icy areas and my speed was plenty fast on them on longer GS turns and flatter, long runs when I skied them correctly. The ability to ski them side by side (think "expensive demo") was the ultimate decision maker about which ski was right for me.

DH ended for the day after that run, as he was feeling tired from his cold, and we went inside for lunch. I then headed back out with the intention of doing a few runs, and had the best 2 hours of skiing so far this season! I went back to the Sun Bowl and skied the lower half (Sunriser Supertrail where they hold the US Open). It's a very long (for the lower mountain), wide blue trail with steeper spots, much more varied terrain than most Stratton trails, some bumps, not much ice or bramble, and lots of deep soft snow. I must have done that 7-8 times, skiing from top to bottom with maybe 1 brief stop and then right on the Sun Bowl Express Quad to do it again. It was great! I could feel my increased comfort level with the variety of terrain from the Stowe experience, and I really worked on moving forward, hands out front, carving clean turns, etc. Then the sun came out in full force, and I had fun skiing in sunny areas and glancing at my shadow to see if I was forward enough.

I ended the day by hopping on the Shooting Star Express Quad, and then skiing down some other trails on the Snow Bowl side, finding some bumps (and realizing that I could navigate them JUST FINE) and enjoying the sweet spot of my AC2s as I GS'd my way down to the main base area. As I skied up to the Gondola I lifted my poles in the air with a big GRIN on my face :D ! Came home and posted my AC3s for sale on this forum. They are a fabulous ski, but not for me at this phase in my skiing.

So happy that I stuck with it. Skiing is such a metaphor for life. Conditions change, equipment needs adjusting, and checking one's ego at the door is always useful. Sorry for the long post, but Sheena's posts about powder skiing inspired me!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Good for you! Sounds like you have found the right ski for your comfort zone - which, as we all know, isn't an easy journey. As for the start-bad-end-well day, we've all had these. Some days I don't even feel like taking on the task and end up like you did - way happy.

I took an icky spill in late November that really had me hurting. I still feel "pretzel-y" (should see chiropractor...) and not 100%. Some days I really feel the residuals from this Big Crash. Thought I'd stick to cruisers yesterday, then saw the conditions on the blacks and just went WTH, I'm going for it. For some of us, getting on more challenging terrain actually improves our form, no laziness allowed, have at it. I had a good day after I blew off my aches and pains and really SKIED.

Happy for your positive ski day and finding the right ski!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So happy that I stuck with it. Skiing is such a metaphor for life. Conditions change, equipment needs adjusting, and checking one's ego at the door is always useful. Sorry for the long post, but Sheena's posts about powder skiing inspired me!
Inspired to be an inspiration!
:thumbsup:

I have an awesome Ski Day story from this weekend too!

I had not been on my Blizzard Mag Sl's much and really hadn't had the chance to ski them, like they were meant to be skied.
Saturday We (DH, +3 friends) hit the hill for first chair. Firm groomers called for the SL's!
I did a few runs doing some drills that Kneale Brownson taught me, as well as one that Robin Barnes taught me, so I took it easy and "did the drills". DH picked on me a bit about keeping up and how they had to wait for me at the lift to which I said...."no you don't. Go ahead!"

By the 4th run of the day, I decided to open it up!
Within 2 runs, I caught up with Da Boyz!
My husband with his old school stance, on his Volkl RaceTiger GS 180 cm, and lil o' me on my Teensy weensy (men never like to hear the term teensy weensy) Blizzard Sl's 155 cm. I smoked him!!!
Every lap, lap after lap. He had to straight line to keep up with me and only passed me when he was totally out of control!
The more you turn (clean turns)on those SL's the faster you go!!!
His buddies proceeded to be entertained by the FACT that DH was chasing his tail to chase my tail!
Gawd that was FUN!!!:yahoo:
Gives a whole new meaning to the term : Smoke 'em if you got 'em!!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For all of you intermediate skiers like me, and perhaps advanced skiers too, have you ever had one of those days that started poorly and you stuck with it and wound up having a fantastic day? That was me yesterday........

Oh, completely. Just Saturday. Had little to do with skiing, but it was just one of those days that started so slow. First I dropped the kids and husband at the kids' weekly program, then went back to put on my boots and meet him up on the mountain. No big deal, right?

Well, my cousin showed up to park at our place, which is fine, but of course we had to chat for a while. And then my dog ran out of the condo, which she never does, and we couldn't get her back. Finally we did, and I finished getting dressed ... Got on the little kiddie lift by the condo to get to the mountain, skied halfway to the main lift and realized I didn't have my pass because I had changed jackets and left it on the other one. (They never check passes on the beginner lift.)

I turn around and skate back as far as I can, but eventually have to take off my skis and hike the rest of the way. Then when I get to the base of the stairs, I slip and fall on the icy concrete.

At that point, it has been an HOUR since I thought I would be skiing, and I am drenched in sweat because I had put on an insulated (ie, nonbreathable) coat in anticipation of the coming storm. I hike back to the lift, and, after all that, they don't even bother to scan my pass!!! Then the wind hit, and I was all sweaty inside, and started to get cold.

I thought maybe all this was a sign that I should just go back to bed.

But I persevered, and ended up having a spectacular day. A little new snow, and we managed to stay out of the wind most of the time.

Shorter skis, better technique, you smoke 'em SnowHot! It's not about length, it's about technique anyway. :eyebrows:

Pinto, good for you sticking with it. Nothing worse than being overdressed when skiing! Glad you had a good day out.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can definitely relate, Ski Now. It's a crapshoot as to whether a day will turn around and be fantastic or just get more miserable, so usually I try to give it a good bit of extra time but if it doesn't turn around after a while I try to cut it out and get back out there after some down time.

It seems like those times when a day turns around it ends up being one of the best. I wholeheartedly agree with this statement:
Skiing is such a metaphor for life. Conditions change, equipment needs adjusting, and checking one's ego at the door is always useful.

Sounds like a really crappy day, Pinto! Glad it turned around.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga