• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Steamboat 2/24/23-3/3/23

scski

Certified Ski Diva
I am heading to Steamboat next month for the first time. My just son started working at Steamboat this year so I could not resist! I am looking for any tips, suggestions, anything good to know in advance. I am flying into HDN and taking a shuttle to my lodging on the bus line. I am leaning towards leaving my skis at home and renting there since conditions are different than what I am used to in NC. Planning to check out Strawberry Hot Springs and a scenic gondola ride on a rest day. I would love to try cross-country skiing. I read in the forum about Howelsen Hill and would like to check it out as well. I also want to take a ski lesson(s) at Steamboat. Are group lessons worth the money? I am a beginner level 3 on Steamboat's skill level scale. What are the logistics like taking a bus to Steamboat and Howelsen Hill? Are there lockers to rent at the resort so I am not hauling my equipment back and forth each day? Also any suggestions on good massage therapist there? I know I am going to need that mid-week! Any and all advice is much appreciated!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@NewEnglandSkier has years of skiing at Steamboat! I can’t comment on rentals or lockers but found Steamboat’s main phone # answered all my questions about resort managed activities and services. One phone number literally answers every question and yes, Steamboat has a well regarded ski school for all levels. Advertised cost is less than many other places I’m familiar with. Go for it!

For Strawberry it’s best to use the vendors on their site (there are 2) to handle your transportation and entrance fees. The transportation companies pick up and return at many locations so you won’t be far from a pick up/drop off point. After dark at the springs are adults only and the bathers tend to be nekked, so if you’re uneasy, book earlier. There’s a community hot springs center (not nekked) too near Howelson. Yes, Howelson is on the free shuttle route.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, yes I skied at Steamboat annually for about 15 years until more recently. For years I didn't bring skis with me and just rented demo skis each day. It is cheaper to bring your own, but renting or demoing has the advantage of not having to transport skis through the airport etc. If you rent or demo from the Resort, it is easy to swap out as many times as you want or need to. There are of course independent places you could rent from as well which have locations the base are like Christy Sports or Steamboat Ski and Bike Kare, among others.
As mentioned above for Strawberry Park Hot Springs it's best to use one of the transport vendors that do trips there. Sweet Pea Tours and the Hot Springs Shuttle both do the trip.
Of the 2 hot springs (Strawberry Park and Old Town Hot Springs), Strawberry Park has the more natural, unique feel to it. The Old Town Hot springs while located conveniently downtown (so no shuttle companies required) has a feel more like a town swimming pool.
There are day use lockers at the resort for small items but I recall them as being just day use/no overnight storage . . . .but if you rent skis from the Resort, that should include nightly storage ( I think) for your skis/poles. There also used to be a fee overnight storage area for people staying offsite who brought their own skis (not sure if they still have it).
The Steamboat bus system is easy to use and yes Howelsen is on the bus system. Get off at like 5t St downtown and walk across the river and it's right there. Or get off at 9th St and use the 10th st river crossing trail to walk over. If you don't use one of the main bus lines there is also an on demand service that you can call and have it drop you at Howelsen---more details on the Steamboat Transit website on that service. I think @marzNC has skied at Howelsen so she may be able to add more color on skiing there. My impression is it is a bit steep in general once you leave the bunny slope there.
I've had good experience with the ski school but mostly did private lessons. My first lesson there I did a group and I was just around your current level at that time. The group I took was fine but I tend to do better with solo instruction in general, so that ultimately worked better for me.
They have a whole new learning area that just opened this year and at level 3 you might be beyond it at this point but that is one of their new highlights--the new learning area that is out of the base area. I have not seen it in person, as I haven't visited since 2020.
I hope you have a fantastic trip and enjoy your time there as much as I always have! Let me know if you have any other questions, but I don't know how stale my info might be at this point.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recall storing skis and poles for a week in an overnight locker facility. Maybe this has changed?
There was a door that went into this very large locker area, and I believe it was on the first floor of a two story complex right there in the village.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am leaning towards leaving my skis at home and renting there since conditions are different than what I am used to in NC.
Waving from Raleigh . . . where have you skied in the NC mountains?

What skis do you have? As a beginner, there are advantages to having your own gear. You'll be skiing on groomers and don't really need skis that are designed for ungroomed or fresh snow that's more than a few inches. I only had one pair of skis for several years when I started skiing more regularly as my daughter was learning (ages 6-8). They worked fine in the southeast and for spring break trips out west. Of course, that meant I had to invest in a ski carrier. I opted for a hardcore and got a Sportube 2 so I could bring both my skis and my daughter's skis, if needed.

I also want to take a ski lesson(s) at Steamboat. Are group lessons worth the money? I am a beginner level 3 on Steamboat's skill level scale.
I would give Steamboat group lessons a try for Level 3. A destination resort like Steamboat should have good instructors teaching the adult beginners. Will you be skiing midweek or on a weekend?

If you decide on a private lesson, I had a semi-private lesson with the instructor who @NewEnglandSkier recommended and would second the recommendation.

As for Howelsen Hill, it has a long green trails that goes around the backside that can be fun. You can't really see them from the base. I suggest you check beforehand if the chairlift is running. If not, the other way up to the top is a poma lift. That can be a bit of a challenge for a beginner to master because it's pretty steep.

Here's my trip report for Howelsen from Feb 2018:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I was at Steamboat in January 2022 for the first time.

If you plan to take the town bus, depending on where you stay, there maybe a few minutes of walking. There was a lot of snow on the ground when I went, and with the altitude, walking in ski gear was an exercise in itself.

My condo mates rented gear at the base area and the rental place stowed them overnight. There was a place at the bottom of the escalator to the base area where you could have your own gear stored overnight for a fee. I think it would’ve worked out to about $50-$60 for the week. I was cheap so schlepped my skis back and forth everyday.

We did the Hot Springs Shuttle to Strawberry Hot Springs. Made reservations online and the shuttle picked us up from the condo. Bring large garbage bags and multiple bath towels. Stow your dry clothes in its own bag. Wear your bathing suit underneath to the Springs. There was an indoor changing area but small and uphill of the Springs. It was snowing and so cold when I went, most people ended up crowding the little hut right by the Springs and changed there afterwards. It was wet and muddy. Hence the multiple garbage bags and towels to keep your dry clothes clean and change with some semblance of modesty. If you have a bath robe, you can use that. We saw a couple old-timers walking around with bath robes from and to the changing cabin. Smart.

We skied mostly green runs, most of which, in my opinion, were glorified cat tracks. We did get clued in to a short blue run used by instructors with intermediates that we liked very much.

The bus system was good during the day, but I found it inconsistent at night. The app would say the bus is arriving in 5 minutes, then 15 minutes, then another 15. I waited 45 minutes after 6pm trying to get from in-town back to the condo. I was not amused.

scski

Certified Ski Diva
Waving from Raleigh . . . where have you skied in the NC mountains?

What skis do you have? As a beginner, there are advantages to having your own gear. You'll be skiing on groomers and don't really need skis that are designed for ungroomed or fresh snow that's more than a few inches. I only had one pair of skis for several years when I started skiing more regularly as my daughter was learning (ages 6-8). They worked fine in the southeast and for spring break trips out west. Of course, that meant I had to invest in a ski carrier. I opted for a hardcore and got a Sportube 2 so I could bring both my skis and my daughter's skis, if needed.

I would give Steamboat group lessons a try for Level 3. A destination resort like Steamboat should have good instructors teaching the adult beginners. Will you be skiing midweek or on a weekend?

If you decide on a private lesson, I had a semi-private lesson with the instructor who @NewEnglandSkier recommended and would second the recommendation.

As for Howelsen Hill, it has a long green trails that goes around the backside that can be fun. You can't really see them from the base. I suggest you check beforehand if the chairlift is running. If not, the other way up to the top is a poma lift. That can be a bit of a challenge for a beginner to master because it's pretty steep.

Here's my trip report for Howelsen from Feb 2018:
Thank for you this information, MarzNC. You were so kind to take me under your wing at SkiDiva West - Big Sky some 12 years ago! I moved from Charlotte to the NC mountains last year so now I am not too far from any NC skiing.

I have Volkl Luna skis. They have been great for conditions in NC. I would have to buy a ski carrier for the flight. After some digging I found that I can store skis overnight at the base for $100/week. It is $20/day for a day-time locker to store shoes, backpack, etc. I am weighing the less expensive route of bringing my skis with the relative ease of renting there. If I do decide to rent, would it make sense to pay more for demo skis? At my skill level I wonder if it is worth the extra cost. The rare few times I skied outside of NC I have always rented so I have not had the experience of traveling with my skis.

I am going to give group lessons a go. I will be there from Friday-Friday. Would it be better to plan for a group lesson during the week with the expectation that it would be less crowded?

Thanks for the tip on Howelsen! I read that skiing is free there on Sundays.

scski

Certified Ski Diva
I was at Steamboat in January 2022 for the first time.

If you plan to take the town bus, depending on where you stay, there maybe a few minutes of walking. There was a lot of snow on the ground when I went, and with the altitude, walking in ski gear was an exercise in itself.

My condo mates rented gear at the base area and the rental place stowed them overnight. There was a place at the bottom of the escalator to the base area where you could have your own gear stored overnight for a fee. I think it would’ve worked out to about $50-$60 for the week. I was cheap so schlepped my skis back and forth everyday.

We did the Hot Springs Shuttle to Strawberry Hot Springs. Made reservations online and the shuttle picked us up from the condo. Bring large garbage bags and multiple bath towels. Stow your dry clothes in its own bag. Wear your bathing suit underneath to the Springs. There was an indoor changing area but small and uphill of the Springs. It was snowing and so cold when I went, most people ended up crowding the little hut right by the Springs and changed there afterwards. It was wet and muddy. Hence the multiple garbage bags and towels to keep your dry clothes clean and change with some semblance of modesty. If you have a bath robe, you can use that. We saw a couple old-timers walking around with bath robes from and to the changing cabin. Smart.

We skied mostly green runs, most of which, in my opinion, were glorified cat tracks. We did get clued in to a short blue run used by instructors with intermediates that we liked very much.

The bus system was good during the day, but I found it inconsistent at night. The app would say the bus is arriving in 5 minutes, then 15 minutes, then another 15. I waited 45 minutes after 6pm trying to get from in-town back to the condo. I was not amused.
According to the AirBnB where I am staying for most of the trip, there is a "short" uphill walk to the bus stop. Thanks so much for the great tips on Strawberry Hot Springs!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank for you this information, MarzNC. You were so kind to take me under your wing at SkiDiva West - Big Sky some 12 years ago! I moved from Charlotte to the NC mountains last year so now I am not too far from any NC skiing.
Hello again! That was a great trip. I'm headed back to Big Sky and Bridger with Bill later this season. Will have another lesson with Ric. Bill and I did one with him the last time we were in Montana in 2019.

I have Volkl Luna skis. They have been great for conditions in NC. I would have to buy a ski carrier for the flight. After some digging I found that I can store skis overnight at the base for $100/week. It is $20/day for a day-time locker to store shoes, backpack, etc. I am weighing the less expensive route of bringing my skis with the relative ease of renting there. If I do decide to rent, would it make sense to pay more for demo skis? At my skill level I wonder if it is worth the extra cost. The rare few times I skied outside of NC I have always rented so I have not had the experience of traveling with my skis.
In your situation, renting skis makes the most sense. There is more than one shop that rents skis right at the base. The shop owned by the resort is probably more expensive. It's very organized as I remember. If you have time, walk around and check out the options before picking where to rent. Sometimes there is a discounted rate for renting multiple days.

As for trying out different skis, could be worth it for a day. When I first went to a demo day at Sugar, I was an intermediate. I could tell the difference on those short groomers if skis were "fun" or "too much work." A ski shop at a destination resort should have someone who can provide decent suggestions for what skis to try. The advantage of checking out skis is that then if find a deal during the off-season, you'll know what skis you like.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am going to give group lessons a go. I will be there from Friday-Friday. Would it be better to plan for a group lesson during the week with the expectation that it would be less crowded?
Yes, group lessons midweek is a good idea since there are likely to be fewer people in your class.

Might consider a group lesson on Sunday morning as a way to get started, and to cut left lines. Although usually Saturdays are busier in general. I like to have at least one day of skiing before a lesson during a trip out west.

blueskysunnyday

Angel Diva
I’ve been to Steamboat several times and had great experiences with group lessons, the bus system and the shuttles. I remember easy ski storage at the base for non-rented skis (maybe under Timber and Torch?), but they have just done a ton of renovations on the base area, so things may have changed. I bet the 800 number can help you with that info. They really do a good job of making things easy for you at Steamboat in terms of logistics.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Speaking of steamboat….any suggestions on where to stay. There are only 2 of us.
Are you a hotel person or a condo person? Looking for ski in/ski out or something a bit further out/more economical? I've only always stayed at the Sheraton (hotel person here--but the Sheraton is actually a time share/villa property now so more similar to condo), but there are lots of condo options slope side as well that I've heard good things about. Bear Claw, Torian Plum, Antlers. Lots of condo options. Another close by hotel option is the Steamboat Grand (another client of my ski instructor that I met, always stayed there and loved it).
If not looking for slope side, lots of options on the bus route as well and most have their own shuttles that take you back and forth in addition to the bus option.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Are you a hotel person or a condo person? Looking for ski in/ski out or something a bit further out/more economical? I've only always stayed at the Sheraton (hotel person here--but the Sheraton is actually a time share/villa property now so more similar to condo), but there are lots of condo options slope side as well that I've heard good things about. Bear Claw, Torian Plum, Antlers. Lots of condo options. Another close by hotel option is the Steamboat Grand (another client of my ski instructor that I met, always stayed there and loved it).
If not looking for slope side, lots of options on the bus route as well and most have their own shuttles that take you back and forth in addition to the bus option.
Perfect…thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna