• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spruce Mt, Jay, ME 2/6/08

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
DH and I are on a mission to ski a few of the lesser-known, small family ski areas in Maine this winter. One is practically in our backyard, a whole 2 miles from his workplace. We hit it up last night, after a wet, heavy 6" snowfall. Local and regional businesses are sponsoring free skiing nights all over the state to promote the smaller ski areas.

Here's the info, from the SkiMaine website:
"Spruce Mountain Ski Area is a unique mountain in central Maine, located on the banks of the Androscoggin River. It is mostly run by volunteers and is reasonably priced for the family. There are 11 trails and snowmaking covers 50% of them. A Pisten Bully groomer with blade and power tiller attachments keeps the snow surfaces in great shape. It's a blast from the past as you rise 300 vertical feet to the summit of the mountain via three rope tow lifts. Where else can you ski up the mountain as well as down? Enjoy a wonderful night of skiing under the lights, or take a jaunt around the cross-country ski trails. Spruce Mountain opened in 1960 and continues to be a community focal point for outdoor, winter recreation."

Fun time, but oh my, when was the last time I had to do major rope tows???? And we aren't talking the light-duty beginner types here - we're talking faster than HSQ, take-the-palms-off-your-gloves types! Amazing to watch the kids doing this, especially the snowboarders, without missing a beat.

Lovely evening, and the place still uses mercury lighting (white) versus sodium, so there is actually visibility through goggles. Quite a workout, because there is NO sitting down until break with 100% surface lifts! Nice to see these little places having a good winter and some crowds.

Below: rope tow workout!

47b8dc26b3127cceb48886528e1b00000026108EcOWblm0Zw

Jilly

Staff member
OMG - I haven't seen one of those for years. And I bet it was a lot of fun. Need new mitts yet??? On the side of your jacket??

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
OMG - I haven't seen one of those for years. And I bet it was a lot of fun. Need new mitts yet??? On the side of your jacket??
Jacket appears to be okay. I remember having "scars." We wore our old cowhide rope tow mit protectors, they fit over gloves, and I was wearing beat-up old work gloves anyway (wasn't remotely cold out). And these are the gnarly/hemp-ish, scratchy FAST ropes also. :eek: Good upper body workout!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Looks like a good time. I love the little affordable places that let families get out there and plant the seeds of ski addiction.

Jilly

Staff member
I remember leather patches on the sides of jacket. We had 3 rope-tows, so there were left and rights. I have 2 jackets and one pair of ski pants. One jacket had the patches and was only worn at Oak Hills. The other jacket was for when we went somewhere else. There was some kind of contraption that went around your waist and had a clamp like attachment that clamped onto the rope. Problem was getting it unclamped at the top. Parents would let me have one. Patches were cheaper when Mom sewed. Went through mitts though!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga