• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Special Olympic Skiers

skidaup

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just did our 1st Special Olympic coaching clinic for the season at Marquette Mountain. It was a blast, we had about 10 young adults out there and some did really well, we even had a blind guy. Anyone esle have this at their resorts?

Snowsong

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My resort doesn't, but a neighboring area does. I used to volunteer with my county ski program, and then ended up running the program for a few years. It was more rewarding than any lesson I've ever taught. One of my friends volunteered to help with the state competition one year. Her description totally summed it all up. " I had to help my athlete put on all their ski clothes, and then put on their boots and buckle them. My athlete was very clumsy walking in their boots and I had to help carry everything because they kept dropping stuff. I wondered what I had gotten myself into. Then we went outside and clicked into the bindings. Then my athlete skiied, and it was BEAUTIFUL." :thumbsup:

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My home mountain has an adaptive program. It's free for participants. My good friend has a daughter with CP (she can walk with braces). She typically would ski on the chair/sled type thing. Two winters ago she tried skis with the poles with ski tips (sorry, I don't know the technical name) and started skiing on her own. She was with her Dad at the time, and was so excited she called her Mom's cell phone and left a message "MOM! I did it! I skiied on my own, just like all the other kids"! When my friend got the message, she started crying. That program was amazing and so welcoming to them. This girl is a firecracker (11yo now) - she forced her mother to let her play on the town football league this fall, mom called the coach, explained the situation and they agreed she could join the team, but not play in games. Well...she got to play in a game, and the team set her up so she could run in a touchdown. The local news captured it, and she got her own special sports segment.

Anyone and everyone involved with these programs deserve major kudos!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf hosts the Special Olympics Winter Games for Maine residents every January.

While conditions are often foreboding, last year the event had perfect weather. I was there to see closing ceremonies, and it brought tears to my eyes.

From their website:
"Special Olympic Winter Games
1/25/09 - 1/27/09
Join us as more than 500 athletes from communities throughout the state enjoy the thrill of competition and camaraderie on and off the slopes. The biggest RS Fireworks display and torchlight parade of the winter season are Monday, January. 26."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga