• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Solomon Scarlet '07

I did a lot of research last season to find a twin tip powder ski that I could use to learn how to ski powder and mixed conditions. I settled on the Solomon Scarlet but was unable to find one to demo or even see in a shop here in the East. I purchased a pair in late April on sale (internet sale from Al's Ski Barn in Maine).

I had a chance to take them out on their virgin runs on Friday 12/14 at Stowe, and then used them all day on Sunday 12/16 at Stowe. Here's my review:

Skier type: I'm 5' 7" tall, 145 lbs., 48 years old, strong intermediate skier with virtually no powder experience.

Ski stats: 154 length, 130-94-123, 12.8 turn radius, mounted 70% freeride and 30% park with Solomon Z10 bindings which are sleek, light, and easy to step in and out of. Although the length is short for me, the next size was 164 with a 94 waist, and I thought that would be too much ski for me to learn with. I was very pleased with the length and found the skis easy to carry around and to ski with. Loved the short turning radius.

Conditions: Some shallow untracked powder (4 - 6"), and lots of deep powder in piles and bumps.

Review: This ski sailed through the powder with ease. I can't wait to use them on untracked powder again. They also gave me great options in the mixed snow -- giving me a choice of riding the varied terrain on top or cutting right through it, with equal skill at either task. They are fast and stable. On flatter areas, they zipped forward without much effort, and with a moment or two of hesitation, went on edge easily. As my powder skills progress, I will probably find them to be short, but for now they are a perfect learning ski for me and gave me the confidence, stability, and tools to tackle new terrain. I highly recommend this ski for anyone who is new to powder and it's a decent all mountain ski as well. I haven't had a chance to ski switch with them yet or try them in the park, but I think they'll be fun for that stuff too, making them even more versatile. The reviews that I read said that the tips can wash out on hard steeps, so I wouldn't try them in that setting, but I am looking forward to bringing them to Big Sky in February and who knows? Maybe we'll have a few more powder days here in the Northeast this season!

Final note: I much prefer the graphic on the '07 ski to the '08 ski.

FABULOUS review!!!! Wow! I need to analyze my One Luvs more than just telling everyone how much I LUV them! :D

Thanks NVG!

I just noticed that there's a typo in the stats. I believe that the 154 length are 92 wide.... and I see that the ski was not made any shorter than 164 this season....

:bump:

I've just spent two more days skiing on my Scarlets out here at Big Sky, Montana. Conditions include groomed runs, groomed runs with an inch or two of fresh powder (first tracks this morning!), intermediate and very steep bumps sans ice, crud, and a little powder. These Scarlets rock. One of the reasons that I bought them short is to use them in the bumps and trees out here (this length has a turning radius of under 12m) and they met my expectations perfectly! Who would have thought that a 92 waist would turn so easy and not hang me up, but the flex in the ski, the ability to slide backwards easily on the twin tips, and the short length made it possible for me (in a private lesson) to do a VERY steep and VERY long bump run and still want to keep on skiing! They hold a nice edge on these non-icy Western groomers too and aren't hard to get on edge, and if my form is correct, they don't chatter either. In deep pow, I would find the length short for sure, but for the purposes that I've been using them for, they are great and I highly recommend this ski for an intermediate skier who wants a wider ski that they can flex and that makes nice short radius turns in the bumps and trees.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great review, Ski Now. I'll keep my eyes out for these if/when I get to that point in my skiing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna