• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snow is now falling in UT

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just looked on the websites of Alta and Snowbird, and it is beginning to look like the snow gods are starting to answer the call.

Even though I do not live there, I am excited because it means winter is coming!!! I hope there is someplace close out east (I am fromDC) that will open the weekend before Thanksgiving - even if I have to drive 8 hours. I want to celebrate my two year anniversary skiing:ski2:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
You'll probably find skiing in the east before Thanksgiving, though it might be limited and conditions might not be all that great. There's usually a race to see which area will open first. Historically, it's been Killington, but last year Mount Snow beat them to it. My home mountain, Okemo, typically opens mid-November. Let's hope it does this year, too. :snow:

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll probably find skiing in the east before Thanksgiving, though it might be limited and conditions might not be all that great. There's usually a race to see which area will open first. Historically, it's been Killington, but last year Mount Snow beat them to it. My home mountain, Okemo, typically opens mid-November. Let's hope it does this year, too. :snow:

How is Killington and Okemo, My husband and I would be looking for a very quick getaway - Basically, drive Friday ski all day Sat, leave Sunday - it would be more for fun not for hard core skiing. I just want to ski, and unfortunately I have to work the weekend of Thanksgiving, Sat night and SUnday night. S It would have to be the weekend before, unless, when Sheena comes to visit we can do a whirlwind ski vaca but I think it might be too much since Sheena would alos hav to visit with our family and her husbands family.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Either one is a good destination; ask two different people, and you'll get two different preferences. I prefer Okemo , first because it's five minutes away from my door, and second, I just like the vibe better. Killington is bigger and has tougher terrain. Okemo has a reputation as being more of a cruiser's mountain, and is noted for its snowmaking (a must in the fickle east) and for taking very good care of the trails. Killington was a victim of neglect for a number of years, thanks to the financial problems of the now defunct American Ski Company. They've changed ownership, so hopefully they're working on making things better.

Early season, it's anyone's guess, but Okemo makes a LOT of snow, so they might be better.

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with SD, but a good thing about Killington is that it's so big, it would be easy to get inexpensive housing (especially EARLY season), either right on the mountain or at a lodge just down the road.

Sherry

Diva in Training
Snow in UT

I was hiking this weekend at 9000 and there was not a breath of snow. Alta is further up the canyon so maybe they have snow. We had a dusting early this morning, but is was gone before my coffee was.

It is definitely time to start thinking about snow. It was 30 degrees.:clap:

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah - we were biking at 10,600' this weekend around Moab and even the tops of the mountains way above us didn't have a dusting.

We got hailed on for a few minutes... but that doesn't really count. :smile:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
it won't last. October gets pretty warm. But the peak dust does get one excited for the season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna