• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snape-mania! (no spoilers)

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a Professor Snape fan, for those in the Harry Potter know, despite what he did in book 6. It's subversive. I like the HP series as much as the next adult, but honestly, I haven't read any of the books straight through from beginning to end b/c I think J.K. Rowling goes on a lot of detours. And I have the attention span of a rat. So I read until I get bored with her verbose descriptions (usually about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through), skip to the end to figure out what happened, and then go back to where I left off. It works for me. I'm not a purist, but who's keeping track?

I also tend not to buy books. And those that I do purchase are weird vintage ones, like a 1st edition of John Muir's My Summer in the Sierras. So, I was thrilled when I learned the DC Public Library was taking names for a "hold" list for the Deathly Hollows -- I was number 16 out of 23, and when I signed up, I was told to go to the library on the 21st to pick up my book.

Well....I don't know if this is a hoax, or if libraries get copies early, or if this is part of the discountbooks.com early release, but I received exciting news last night!

The item listed below that you requested is/are available for pickup from the D.C. Public Library location whose address is listed above.

Please inquire at the circulation desk with your Library Card to check out the item. After 10 days, the item will be made available for the next customer.

Thank you for using CityCat 2K, your Library's online catalog.

1 Harry Potter and the deathly hallows / by J. K. Rowling ; illustrations
by Mary Grandpre.
Rowling, J. K.
call number:FICTION ROWLING copy:23
hold pickup library:Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library

The best part is, I have today off from work, and am off to go pick up the book after I clean up from my morning run. Yahooo!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG...I am DYING!!! I've been avoiding the news, newspaper, internet, even conversations with my friends because I don't want it spoiled.

Interesting that they would have it available already. Have you called to check? I'm wondering if they sent out the notice early...or maybe since they're not open at midnight they're just going for it. I have heard that Scholastic really can't legally do much to booksellers and libraries that release early. In the past, I guess they could ban the sellers from getting the next book, but that can't happen this time. I personally think it's kind of sad that people can't wait and enjoy it at the same time. I'm just going to sit at home with my head in the sand tonight and tomorrow morning while I wait for Amazon to deliver my book!

I too am a big fan of Snape. He's is definitely one of favorite characters....and I'm holding out hope that he'll be good in the end!! :D

Jilly

Staff member
According to news report that I've seen this AM, one of the on-line retailers sent out copies early (by mistake, they say now!). I don't think Amazon was the one. But check out the CNN report about London and all the partying. JK Rowlings is going to do a reading from the book at midnight in London. None of the news reports that I've read give away anything, so read on tradygirl!!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't wait either! I guess since the books will be available tonight at midnight, that it is possible that the library could have it available tomorrow.

My sister pre-ordered a copy for me for me as a going away present. I have also strictly avoided any news stories, message board posts, etc that have any info on the book.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just kidding. Although they've received them, the library is being good and not loaning them until tomorrow. This I discovered after walking down there. Good thing the weather is bearable today! The guy whose job it is to input the receipt of books accidentally sent out our emails early.

Alas, I will have to be like all the other muggles. :smile:

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband pre-ordered a copy of the new Harry Potter for me..so I too am anxiously awaiting it...waiting to find out which side Snape is really on! I hope not to hear any advance info on the book before I can read it. The San Jose Mercury News actually mentioned the name of a key character who dies in the last book...so my husband was quizzing me because he hadn't read it......I would never tell anyone about who's going to die!!!!!!!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay. I'm on p. 691. It's been great so far; I've been out on my balcony in the shade, a nice breeze blowing by every now and then, and only 32% humidity. I'm so happy!

Off to the grocery store and then back to the book.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga