• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Smith Phenom Turbo Fan Goggles!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is sooooooo much more to this story than skiing goggles.
A very long time ago(I want to say 17 years ago) my husband bought some goggles to ride dirtbike that had a fan in them. He paid 98.00 for them and I nearly had a stroke. Back then decent dirtbike goggles could be had for 20.00.
He argued that, with his glasses he was fogging up all the time and these goggles would pay for themselves in busted dirt bike parts and his busted body because he'd quite hitting the trees if he could see.
He was right!! He quit hitting trees. His injuries reduced and his bike wasn't beaten up so badly. After that, I made it a point to see to it that he had/has a functioning pair of Smith Turbo Fan Goggles before dirtbiking season starts, which he, now, uses to ski as well.

Fast forward to Stowe 2007:
I'd never experienced powder like this. I know its not a big deal to those of you who get 2 ft at a time, but 18 inches was amazing to this Michigan girl.
First of all, I made a mistake of getting moisture in my Smith Anthem goggles at the beginning of the day. I like the Anthems which have an amazing lens for flat light, they fit my face well, and I like the peripheral vision they offer, but don't fit my helmet well. The moisture was a big no no to begin with, then I fell and my goggles got more snow and moisture in them. Now, frozen and zero visibility, I left my ESA Group to go get goggles.
On my way in, my phone rang, it was my husband, asking me how much fun I was having. I told him I was on a mission to get new goggles, to which he said, "Get the turbo goggles! You will never regret it!"

I did, $180!!!:eek:
It nearly killed me to pay retail, at a ski resort, no less, but I was desperate and my husband urged me to take the leap.

I will NEVER wear a pair of goggles that don't have a fan again!!
The only down side is the change in peripheral vision from that of the anthem.
I may play around with the lens because I'm not sure this lens is the best for the flat light we get in Michigan so often, but I know the fan keeps the moisture out and made the blind woman see!!!:cool:
products_459_2_32.jpg

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I second this!

My husband wears glasses and has suffered from fogging problems for years. It's not necessarily the goggles that fog, but his glasses, underneath. Then he got a pair of the Smith Turbo Fans, and what a difference! All his fogging problems -- gone. He says he'll never go back to regular goggles again.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnowHot --

You can get more lenses for your Phenoms!

At the Smith Optics web site, here:
https://www.smithoptics.com/Phenom-Turbo-Fan_19_208.html I've taken you directly to the page for picking out lenses. You'll notice that the excellent sensor mirror lens (the one your Anthem has) is kinda expensive, darn it, but what the heck!

(maybe you want to get a second pair -- keep these as is for bright days, and get a low-light pair too? Since you've got some time now, it's not like the ESA event, you can do a bit of shopping online...

Kano

Jilly

Staff member
Many years ago friend of ours wife, bought the same goggles on a trip to Utah. Owiee had the bottom of coke bottles for lenses, so these were the answer to years of hardship. Highly recommend to those who wear glasses and get fogged!!

NannyMin

Banned
There is sooooooo much more to this story than skiing goggles.
A very long time ago(I want to say 17 years ago) my husband bought some goggles to ride dirtbike that had a fan in them. He paid 98.00 for them and I nearly had a stroke. Back then decent dirtbike goggles could be had for 20.00.
He argued that, with his glasses he was fogging up all the time and these goggles would pay for themselves in busted dirt bike parts and his busted body because he'd quite hitting the trees if he could see.
He was right!! He quit hitting trees. His injuries reduced and his bike wasn't beaten up so badly. After that, I made it a point to see to it that he had/has a functioning pair of Smith Turbo Fan Goggles before dirtbiking season starts, which he, now, uses to ski as well.

Fast forward to Stowe 2007:
I'd never experienced powder like this. I know its not a big deal to those of you who get 2 ft at a time, but 18 inches was amazing to this Michigan girl.
First of all, I made a mistake of getting moisture in my Smith Anthem goggles at the beginning of the day. I like the Anthems which have an amazing lens for flat light, they fit my face well, and I like the peripheral vision they offer, but don't fit my helmet well. The moisture was a big no no to begin with, then I fell and my goggles got more snow and moisture in them. Now, frozen and zero visibility, I left my ESA Group to go get goggles.
On my way in, my phone rang, it was my husband, asking me how much fun I was having. I told him I was on a mission to get new goggles, to which he said, "Get the turbo goggles! You will never regret it!"

I did, $180!!!:eek:
It nearly killed me to pay retail, at a ski resort, no less, but I was desperate and my husband urged me to take the leap.

I will NEVER wear a pair of goggles that don't have a fan again!!
The only down side is the change in peripheral vision from that of the anthem.
I may play around with the lens because I'm not sure this lens is the best for the flat light we get in Michigan so often, but I know the fan keeps the moisture out and made the blind woman see!!!:cool:
products_459_2_32.jpg

Sounds great. I may have to add these to the list!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga