• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skipping work/school to ski?

I have skipped out on a prior engagement...

• 0 times - I'm a good diva

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 1-5 times in a season

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • 6-10 times in a season

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 10 or more time - bad diva!

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK... admittedly I was a very bad girl on Monday and "called in" to work so I could go skiing. After reading a couple threads, specifically "taking your kids out of school to ski" and "what is your day job," I began to wonder when you busy diva's get all your skiing done :D Have you ever skipped work to do so? Also, maybe you haven't jipped work/school, but you made up some lame excuse to someone or something so you could go skiing? Let's hear some stories! :cool: Hopefully, this post is in the right forum, I won't be offended if it gets moved. ~ G

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well seeing as I'm an independent contractor my schedule is "up to me" technically, however I do have a responsibility to accomplish a certain amount of stuff. So I've had a few occassions of "working remotely" where I skiied the day and then had 'net access in my room so I could make up my work later in the day! :smile:

However there was a nice comic posted over on epic I'll have to try and find again :smile:

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is a little difficult to call in sick to snowski when you live in the flat lands. But I do take several 'mental health' days in the summer for water skiing.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, I said none, but I just remembered I had a 'doctor's appointment' once this year to go skiing for a half day, so I guess I'm not as good as I thought...

:smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Well I'm in a family business. So, I can take time off to ski, or work. Between my father and I we work it out. He wants to go sledding, I want to go skiing. Since the better skiing is hours away its usually Monday or Friday with the weekend thrown in. Come summer I'm always here!! I had a friend who's kid was in grade 5. They go skiing twice a winter as part of a school trip. Weill I don't have kids, but I can be a responsible adult!! So, I have had to call in on my way with school trips that I volunteer to go. Nothing like having a ski instructor go with the kids. As of yet I haven't had to teach, just keep the kids off the black diamonds!!

Well, since I work for myself, I can't truly say that I "call in sick," but I only tell certain clients what I'm doing on those mid-week ski days. The other clients I tell that "I'm out of the office all day." Last year I took my 12 year old to Stratton on a Wednesday and this year I'm taking her to Smuggler's Notch at the end of the month on a Thursday and a Friday. She's a snowboarder and it's only her second season, so I only take her to larger resorts on weekdays because it's safer and on weekends we ski at a local hill that's uncrowded. My 10 year old hasn't missed school yet to ski (her second season too), but I'm sure that day will come!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm retired so I ski when I want. I used to take personal leave during Christmas and Easter breaks to fly west.

Once I was stranded at Sugarloaf, Michigan due to bad weather and I called in sick and told them "I was under the weather"!

Kathi

abc

Banned
Looking at the vote result, most divas don't skip work/school. I guess I'm the minority then.

I go skiing whenever work allows. There're days work is so busy and critical it would be un-professional to call in sick even if I'm actually sick. But, there're times when work is a bit slower, or can be down the next day. I won't hesitate to take the day off to enjoy the powder.

Today is the exception, I'm sitting here due to weather closure of the airport. But I really shouldn't have been here at all in the first place. I should have gone skiing the last week!

I had to really, really reason with myself that I made the right decision NOT to go skiing all of last week, because of the new DST. That's one of the decision I made, work was more important last week. So I stayed. But say, if there's powder come Sunday, I wouldn't hesitate to extend my holiday at all. And my boss would have understood, too.

[EDIT] I see, the vote was on "prior engagement". That I don't think I break too many, if at all. I simply don't make any engagements in the skiing season! ;-)

SkiMonster

Certified Ski Diva
I can't get away with skipping school to ski because 1) I just can't get away with it/miss for things like job interviews or conflicts between classes enough already 2) I don't have a car here anymore; I take the train into the city for school, so we sold my car to save money, and my husband has the car with him working upstate all week.

I have, however, 'skipped' many a prior engagement with research or reading on the weekends, or just last wweek over my spring break, to ski instead; and when I was in grad school which was cheaper, more laid back, i had a car, and was getting an assistantship, I was not the best about always filling my seat after the man first taught me to ski :o When i was working in between grad school & law school I worked through a temp agency but only at one place, and they needed to have me around, so i could just say i'm not available x, x, and x days and they went along with it - that was the best!

I was a MUCH better student in the fall; and i have a feeling i will be more on top of things once the season ends too :o
I believe in working hard & being responsible; but i also believe in still trying to enjoy my life :p and the occasional long day or consequence afterwards is worth it!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Priorities

the life of a Ski Diva is difficult, as we cannot predict the weather. I refuse to declare my ski days ahead of schedule for vacation days-----I want FLEXIBILITY to get first tracks on those ever-elusive (and rare this year) powder days. My staff and board know that skiing is my 'thang' and I will go when I can as often as I can. Last Thursday, I did my mountain host gig but had to lead a national conference call---which I took in my jeep in the parking lot!!!

Be open to your boss and colleagues or whoever you need to bring on board. Invite them to go skiing with you. Make the case---I don't golf, but frankly, the guys make time to get their 18 holes in on business time. So take a stand Divas---it's up to you to make a case that it makes you 'all that you can be'.

I have found that my Board, my staff, my family accept my passion, as long as I am not too flaky. And I make it up in the other 3 seasons.

I am close to my skiing (12 mi), so when time permits, and the weather cooperates, I sneak my first tracks or 1/2 day runs and go to work later---in my ski garb (or work like mad in the am and ski in the pm/eventides). I don't have to go all day---part of a day is a gift. I think the challenge for the working Ski Divas is to integrate skiing into their work/family lives. It enriches us and those around us.

Leading a conference call after 5 first track powder runs makes me happier and more positive. The same conference call without my "play time" makes me bored and negative.

snowsprite

Diva in Training
I've done it, but very sporadically...and only if it does not hurt the people I work with! (i.e., no deadlines being compromised, nobody is unduly burdened, etc)

Sprite

I closed my office for tomorrow and my message says "I am out of the office all day." I'm goin . . . SKIING! Leaving at 6:30 so better hit the hay.:p

altagirl

Staff member
snowsprite said:
I've done it, but very sporadically...and only if it does not hurt the people I work with! (i.e., no deadlines being compromised, nobody is unduly burdened, etc)

Sprite

That's pretty much my theory. I skip out on work to ski on a somewhat regular basis, BUT, I make up for it later. I often go to work early, get things done, go skiing for a few hours and then work later in the evening. I wouldn't actually call in sick, but I don't tell many people what I'm doing either...

I figure as long as my work is getting done and I'm not missing important appointments, it's not a big deal.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
snowsprite said:

Sprite

altagirl said:
That's pretty much my theory. I skip out on work to ski on a somewhat regular basis, BUT, I make up for it later. I often go to work early, get things done, go skiing for a few hours and then work later in the evening. I wouldn't actually call in sick, but I don't tell many people what I'm doing either...

I figure as long as my work is getting done and I'm not missing important appointments, it's not a big deal.

The concept of owning your own business and being able to do what you want is wrong on so many levels. I have given up more ski days than those I've taken because "stuff comes up at work".

When we get a ton of snow, I get to start work at 2 AM, plow snow and then get done at noon to ski. That is usually some of the best skiing!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna