• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing with the nieces, need ski school suggestions

newskier378

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
HI everyone! I've been gone for awhile, but I'm trying to help my family plan a ski trip next winter and I'm looking for some help. It honestly just doesn't seem quite as easy to google stuff as it once was. I would love any an all suggestions for places to go. Also a bit of background (I don't know what is even going to show under my name when I post this, it's been that long). No idea why I made my user name when I did way back when, I've actually been skiing (not nonstop, haha I've lived in the south a lot of my life) for about 30 years. Lived in Colorado in college, fell in love with skiing all the more.
Who is going: A handful of intermediate to intermediate advanced adults. and the first ski trip EVER!!! for my adorable three nieces ages 4, 7, and 8.
Where we are trying to go: Utah, but open to other places. The rest of my family is trying to avoid Colorado because well they have all skied there some, I on the other hand have skied there so much I have so many memories there and I'm a sentimental person.
Mostly I'm trying to find a good budget friendly place (I've been kinda shocked by ski school prices....... some of them are more expensive for a day then what my season pass was in college)
Just as important, I'm looking for a place with a really good and welcoming kids program. I could see all of this being a little out of my nieces comfort zone , so I'm wanting to make sure they will have fun and have encouraging friendly instructors. There's only so much reviews can tell you online so I would love personal recommendation from anyone here, and advice if you think we should avoid any places as well.

newskier378

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh also for the youngest one, Is ski and play still a thing? Where kids ski part of the time, but also get to almost go to daycare the other half. (It was kinda my jam when I was her age, I might of been the queen of the dress up box back in the early nineties)

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I cant advise on budget friendly resorts, i wouldmhughly advise that they be in age appropriate separate groups if the reaort is big enough. If not one instructir could work but the focus will be on playing and safety for the young one which will restrict learning for the older two. I have taught mixed age lessons. Some are a dream, many are a nightmare even with a lovely family.

If you are not focused on eating out there are nice smaller resorts where you can maybe rent a big house and eat in? Big destination resorts during school holidays are always expensive.

Best of luck planning!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Who is going: A handful of intermediate to intermediate advanced adults. and the first ski trip EVER!!! for my adorable three nieces ages 4, 7, and 8.
Where we are trying to go: Utah, but open to other places. The rest of my family is trying to avoid Colorado because well they have all skied there some, I on the other hand have skied there so much I have so many memories there and I'm a sentimental person.
Mostly I'm trying to find a good budget friendly place (I've been kinda shocked by ski school prices....... some of them are more expensive for a day then what my season pass was in college)
Just as important, I'm looking for a place with a really good and welcoming kids program. I could see all of this being a little out of my nieces comfort zone , so I'm wanting to make sure they will have fun and have encouraging friendly instructors.
What timeframe? Winter break, spring break, or one of the holiday weekends?

My daughter started ski school at Alta during spring break at age 7. A friend's 6yo twins just did Alta Ski School last April. They and other kids I know who were staying at Alta Lodge all have had good experiences, especially when they were beginners or advanced beginners and were under age 10.

Alta Ski School is a bit unusual because no advanced reservations are required or taken. Families need to show up that morning during the registration hour. The advantage is that if a day is not going to work for a given kid, there are no worries about having to cancel a ski school reservation that was made and pre-paid weeks or months in advance to hold a spot. During spring break, it's very rare that there aren't enough instructors for the lower groups.

Ski areas that cater more to local families can be great places for a family/clan ski vacation. However, they aren't likely to have slopeside lodging. Examples that come to mind are Wolf Creek or Sunshine in CO, or Brian Head in UT, or Bridger Bowl in MT. Dollar Mountain at Sun Valley or Buttermilk at Aspen are great for never-ever or cautious beginners.

The Indy Pass locations in Idaho such as Tamarack are probably good for a family vacation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna