• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in Chile

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I cannot begin to tell you how incredibly frustrating it is not to be able to ski...especially when you live in a resort town. I went to Mountain Village yesterday for the first time since my accident...I almost wanted to cry. Ugh...

So, to help me make it through the rest of the season without losing my mind, I want to plan a ski trip to Chile (or Argentina) for late this summer. Thing is, I know nothing about conditions or resorts down there.

I can use FF miles to get there, so can afford a nice place.

Anyone have any insight?

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey T!

I taught ski fitness at Portillo this past August. I'm running off to work at Copper, but I will write a long post tonight!

abc

Banned
There's a place call Ski Arpa (or something like that). It's all cat skiing (they take you up by cat, just doing laps) for dirt cheap.

I'm not free this summer (already blew all my vacation time come April). But had in mind maybe 2009 or 2010.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've not skied Portillo but have skied El Colorado in Chile when I lived there for a year. It's been a long time ago now so I don't really remember much about the snow conditions but they weren't bad that's for sure. One thing, all skiing there is above tree line which feels a little weird. Portillo would avoid the nasty road of many switchbacks that takes you to El Colorado, La Parva or Valle Nevado.

Jilly

Staff member
One of the ski club in Toronto runs at trip to Portillo every summer. Not cheap, but you're talking FF points to get there so. Talk to travel agent you trust too. I know that the next few Ski mags will start with the down under trips, so keep an eye out. I'd go too if it was me!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Cerro Catedral, Bariloche, Argentina

My son works at a ski and snowboard camp at this resort, July-Sept. Last season, Argentina had better snow than Chile (to which he made a side trip). PM for details. Seems like an incredibly nice resort.
47b7ce36b3127ccebdacb756281c00000026108EcOWblm0Zw

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Valle Nevado, Chile----my fantasy

:eyebrows: As a 'season pass' holder at Brighton, I have a week ski pass exchange at Brighton's 'sister' resort in Chile!

https://www.chileanski.com/eng/valle_nevado/

I must admit it is a fantasy---but I've always wanted to ski in July!!

And I've heard wonderful things from those that ski in Chile. What an adventure. It's on my bucket list.:eyebrows:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:eyebrows: As a 'season pass' holder at Brighton, I have a week ski pass exchange at Brighton's 'sister' resort in Chile!

https://www.chileanski.com/eng/valle_nevado/

I must admit it is a fantasy---but I've always wanted to ski in July!!

And I've heard wonderful things from those that ski in Chile. What an adventure. It's on my bucket list.:eyebrows:

Same here: all Boyne-owned resorts are being offered this deal. Sounds nice....

Jilly

Staff member
Now that's a perk. None of this 25-50% off lift. I would be booking a trip for August!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Now that's a perk. None of this 25-50% off lift. I would be booking a trip for August!!
QUITE a few Sugarloaf/Sunday River passholders are considering this. Exchange rate is favorable in Chile as well, so accommodations are reasonably inexpensive. It's the airfare....:rolleyes:
Overall, a week down there can be done for probably less than a high-season week at a pricier resort in CO.

snowgem

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG I have wanted to ski in Chile for soooo long! Then, was told about Pategonia and the Argentinian ski areas. My so's mom even gave me a Bariloche headband (She's originally from Uruguay). I drool over the tours offered on powderquest.com for both Chile and Argentina! And, If not a tour, I could do a time-share exchange for staying there. Anyway, it is great to just read all the comments about skiing in SA. Someday....maybe for my 70th?! :wink:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga