• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in April - Bottom half wear?

queen_sheba

Diva in Training
Hey there,

Skiing in April in a t-shirt will be be cool! :ski2:

However - what do you wear on your bottom half? lol - unlined better I suppose? :p

thanks for any advice

sarah
x

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hmm, I'm honestly not familiar with the kind of weather that will be present there in April. I'd probably just do a base layer (to help with wicking etc) and an un-insulated pant. Of course, that's what I do for most anything around here on the bottom. Sorry I can't help more.

queen_sheba

Diva in Training
hi - that's what i suspected. like a top i might wear to the gym or something? would i wear something under the insultated pant though - surely it would be a bit sticky if it's just the waterproof layer?

sarah

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's what I mean for the base layer. Some sort of wicking layer, my favorite is from REI but there are so many options and I don't know what you can get in Scotland. But, keep in mind that most places can end up with a blizzard in April as well so be prepared with more layers, especially for up top.

queen_sheba

Diva in Training
what you can get in Scotland/ebay! lol. i try not to buy off the high street as too expensive.

there's a nice top in snow + rock though, long sleeve white but very, very thin. quite nice maybe with a top underneath,

i've heard of people wearing tights or long johns perhaps underneath the unlined salopettes?

thanks for your advice though!
sarahx

altagirl

Staff member
On really warm days (talking 60+ degrees) I've worn just my unlined arc'teryx ski pants and underwear (i.e. bare legs). The pants don't feel sticky or anything. It has to be really warm though.

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We get a lot of warm weather, in fact this week has been around 56F +. I got some silk underwear through Sierra Trading Post for about $15 last year and found that they were the most comfortable thing to wear under my uninsulated ski pants during the warm days. I tried the bare legs thing once and found it too uncomfortable. A wicking super light weight underlayer and a breathable waterproof pant on top should work.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I normally wear the least warm pair of ski pants (but they are insulated) AND wicking long johns. With the wind and clouds I've really never been that hot. I might go jacketless, just in a turtleneck, but the idea of BARE NYLON or whatever is the inside layer of my ski pants freaks me out for some reason.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Caveat/warning, warning! Don't do what I did! On a very warm day at Alta one year, I had on but a thin long sleeved shirt, and I went down. The shirt sleeve hit the snow, but it pushed up to my elbow. You DO NOT want to know what the snow did to my arm. Talk about ROAD RASH....it was a pretty major abrasion, not unlike what someone would get from a motorcycle spill. I very, very highly do NOT recommend exposed limbs while skiing, no matter what the temp (was about 60-65 when I did my spill). It was not fun. The day, in retrospect, was amazing, but I wound up bandaged from wrist to elbow for 10 days afterward...:(

altagirl

Staff member
Caveat/warning, warning! Don't do what I did! On a very warm day at Alta one year, I had on but a thin long sleeved shirt, and I went down. The shirt sleeve hit the snow, but it pushed up to my elbow. You DO NOT want to know what the snow did to my arm. Talk about ROAD RASH....it was a pretty major abrasion, not unlike what someone would get from a motorcycle spill. I very, very highly do NOT recommend exposed limbs while skiing, no matter what the temp (was about 60-65 when I did my spill). It was not fun. The day, in retrospect, was amazing, but I wound up bandaged from wrist to elbow for 10 days afterward...:(

I've done that. I was skiing in a spaghetti strap tank top (it was THAT warm), hit a big jump and landed almost upside down - like on my back across my shoulder blades and slid down the hill. You get some SWEET ice burn doing that...

Though honestly - if I get one of those days again, I'd take the risk, and just - you know - not hit big kickers. It's too nice skiing and basking in the sun at the same time to pass up, and I really don't fall much doing normal stuff...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I don't know what the heck caused my fall - we were only traveling from one lift to another. Bam. Totally caught off-guard. Got rudimentary bandaging up at Patrol but after day was done, had to shower-blast the bits of gauze bandaging that had gotten into the wound :eek: - it was really ugly. I distinctly recall (this was like 12 years ago or so) that I darn near resorted to pain-killers - a deep, huge abrasion like that can hurt like heck. I never short-sleeved it again, not while skiing. So I sweat. Same way w/helmet - don't care how warm it is: it stays on.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga