• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing after Rain?

daniwrites

Certified Ski Diva
So it is raining in NYC and PA and I was to go skiing
tomorrow. Forecast calls for the rain to stop late this evening --
what can I expect the conditions to be like tomorrow afternoon?

Would it be worth it to ski? I've never skied after a rainstorm
before so curious if anyone has any insight.

Jilly

Staff member
Depends on the temperature after the rain. Also check with the ski area you were going to go to. They may have loss a lot of snow and not be open. If is cools down after the rain and freezes, expect ice or if they groom late - little ball bearing like balls of ice/snow. Depending on the size of the balls they are either - beaver balls or death cookies. Please check with the area before you drive to find out they're closed. Been there, done that!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm with Jilly in that it depends, and that you should check to see how much of the hill is open if they're open. The ice can really suck, and does happen with colder temperatures after the rain but I've also encountered great spring conditions after rain. It's all about the temperature. Personally, I don't mind slush, and if there's enough base it can sometimes just be soft and not actually slushy, but tons of fun to ski.

abc

Banned
Overnight, it'll freeze.

So tomorrow morning, it'll be slick as boiler plates, or bunch of death cookies, or both.

Depending on where you're going and what the day time temperature will be THERE, it may thaw just enough by mid-day to be skiable.

Depends on the temps overnight. We're taking our 3 kids skiing and riding at our local hill tomorrow. It's raining now after icing this afternoon, but temps are rising through the night and already above freezing, and it's supposed to stop later this evening. Tomorrow will be early 40s. I expect softer, slushy snow which should be good earlier in the day but get mushy and cementy as the day goes on, so we're planning to get out there by 9 am and leave after lunch.

Check your hourly forecast on accuweather.com and that will help you make your decision. Hopefully my predictions will be right!

daniwrites

Certified Ski Diva
I think it may be alright. It's supposed to stop
raining in a couple of hours and tomorrow afternoon temps
call for the 40s so hopefully conditions won't be too bad.

Ski Now -- sounds exactly the same where you are
than what is going on in PA so maybe we will all have
a decent day of skiing. Have fun out there
and thanks again for all your feedback divas! =P

Well, I experienced a new kind of New England snow today: crusty corduroy! It wasn't the kind of sheer ice I've skied on before, nor was it death cookies or pebbles, but yuk! We had a wind hold until 10 am, and then after lunch the snow softened up considerably. Still, it was great fun to be out with 3 of our kids, especially our son who is visiting from Cincinnati for the weekend and loved his new board....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sugarloaf was on wind hold ALL DAY today (Sat) :eek: - I was hoping to go tomorrow, but it will be a mob scene due to the frustrated Saturday people. Conditions tend to be variable after an event like this. Usually, if the snow sets up (which it has in many places), resorts will try to groom out as much as possible. Still will make for some challenging conditions. We just can't seem to get into a cold/snow pattern around New England since after New Year's!! :mad:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hopefully you guys will get recompensated with fantastic late season conditions. With the December that you guys had, if March and April bring dumps, it could make up for January/February?

Though ideally it'd be January/February and March/April dumps.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Last season, we didn't get any major snowstorms until Feb 14 (over 2 feet here in Maine). Then we got hit with major storms on every holiday and minor holiday (including "Patriots' Day," celebrated only in MA and ME - no, it is not Super Bowl-related :smile: ). Easter was phenomenal, April 8, that's when the snow really started coming. The higher elevation resorts in Maine registered 95" of new snowfall in April.

However, I would not mind having more of it in Jan-Feb, as you said. Nothing significant in sight as of yet, except another R*** event next Wed :mad2:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Here's how it went down in Maine this past weekend: 6+-" of snow followed by sleet at both Sunday River and Sugarloaf. Very high winds on Saturday at both resorts - Sugarloaf shut it for good by 11:00 a.m., resort closed 100% (wow, rare). Sunday River only ran 3 lifts at base (South Ridge) until after 12, when they were able to get some summit lifts going (although not White Heat/Aurora/Jordan).

Sleet had the net effect of actually preserving the 6" of new snow under a breakable crust, which was skiable (though tough). Once this crust was either skied off or groomed away, the conditions, at least at Sunday River, were excellent - and the crowds were light (as hoped and expected) because of Super Bowl.

Next nasty event is due Tues-Wed. We just can't seem to get out of this pattern out here this winter! :mad:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't forget to factor in elevation. It's amazing how many people in this area assume that if it's raining in town, it must be raining in them thar hills. When actually, it's dumping. It sure helps keep the lift lines to a minimum though, and what a treat to drive on wet instead of slick roads.

Jilly

Staff member
That doesn't happen often here in the east. If its raining on the bottom, its usually raining on the top too. But I have seen it rain on the bottom, ice pellets in the middle and stormin on top at Tremblant.
But Whistler yah, I'd go if it was raining in Vancouver or even Pemberton!

daniwrites

Certified Ski Diva
So this weekend went much better than expected.
Went to Blue Mountain in PA -- conditions were pretty good (For PA) and after 3:30--there was absolutely no lines at the lifts.... Glad I still went....Off to Stratton this weekend...The drive Friday might be tough...and hopefully it won't be too windy on Sat...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga