• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

SkiDiva Food Pantry......

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the SkiDiva who spends her grocery money on Gear!

That's right, I have been inspired by this thread to propose a food pantry for those dedicated SkiDivas who know that they can put another bean in the pot or get one more meal out of a potato, but this great deal on ski gear NEEDS to be purchased now.

I'll start with a can of baked beans and some tomato soup.

If you have extra non parishable foods, then donate. If you've spent your grocery money on ski gear then, apply by posting your story about the gear you HAD to get while your cupboards were left bare.

:laugh:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Next paycheck I'll gladly donate a case or two of Ramen Noodles. :D<tummy grumbles>

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Next paycheck I'll gladly donate a case or two of Ramen Noodles. :D<tummy grumbles>
Oh no dear, you're the one with the story submitted for application.
You've obviously put your priorities in the right order and we're here to have your back :thumbsup:

Oh, and here's a pie in your face. :caked: Maybe you can lick some of it for nourishment, while you wait for your food basket :laugh:

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Oh believe me, I knew it was my story before even clicking the link!! This hungry Diva and family appreciates the help. You gals may be the only ones to speak to me for the next week! Family went on strike!

However, when positive cash flow arrives again I will be certain to donate for the next Diva in need.
I'm sure I'm not the ONLY one who puts herself in this predicament.

Come on Ladies, 'fes up!! :laugh:

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'm eternally in need of the food pantry. I don't even want to think about how much gear has entered this house over the last month between DH and me. :redface: Instead of lacking food, though, DH has to go without new tires for a bit longer. I think we need to hold off on snow in SNE until then, ok? :wink:

Jilly

Staff member
I'll add some spagetti and canned sauce. Also good is some cream of mushroom soup. You can add that to anything!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
No kitchen is complete without a bag of pretzels -- my absolute favorite snack. In fact, I just had a carton of my favs shipped up from Pennsylvania because you can't get them in VT: Utz Super Darks. I'll contribute a bag -- but only one. The rest are mine all mine! :D

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay, so far we have
Spaghetti sauce and spahgetti
Mushroom soup
Tomato Soup
Manwich and Hamburger helper
Creamed corn
Diced Tomatoes
Baked beans
And a bag of pretzels

We have two legitimate applicants:
Severine(I've seen your purchases, girl!! You make this gear whore proud)
SnowFlakeADK(Can't leave the family without full tummies, can we)

Next!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
not funny, sorry.

Hi Ladies, I personally don't find this humorous at all. There are a lot of people out there who are just trying to pay their heating bill and buy groceries, WITHOUT even thinking about buying ski gear, and sometimes they have to choose between eating or staying warm.

I help caretake my sister in law, who was an avid skier until she had a stroke at 42. Now she is disabled, living independently,and living on SS disability in a low income apartment. and I take her to the food bank once a month as her $80 in food stamps doesn't go too far. We have to get her a heating relief grant every winter otherwise her whole income which is less than $1000 a month goes to rent and heat,much less groceries.

She can't afford the adaptive skiing program our city offers as they don't do "scholarships" for low income people. I do take her up the mountain a few times a season, where she sits at the window seat and watches the skiers come down the mountain.

gg

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Geargrrl, my apologies if this has offended you in any way. You're right in that skiing requires a considerable amount of expense, and that some people can't afford even the most basic necessities, let alone lift tickets and ski gear. I think we all recognize that; this was just a way of laughing about the way some of us buy things. We certainly appreciate the reminder that many of us are in the fortunate position of being able to afford both skiing and ski gear, even if it means cutting back on a few things. No harm intended.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Geargrrl, I am sorry if I've offended you, however, we are not heartless, nor do we ignore the real people who have needs while we satisfy our wants.

A list of charities posted elsewhere on this site:
JDRF
Kelly Brush Foundation
Susan G Komen
Nurturing Minds in Tanzania
American Cancer Society
The Fat Tire classic, which supports the national sports center for disabled.
(among others)
All joking aside, we are a charitable group of women, but we are also a community of women who laugh about our passion for skiing.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
thanks sd- I realize it's all in good fun for our particular obsession. I don't feel attacked or anything. This one just hits a little too close to home for me.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thanks sd- I realize it's all in good fun for our particular obsession. I don't feel attacked or anything. This one just hits a little too close to home for me.
Lets turn this around.
Geargrrl, can you help us help your sister or the food bank she uses?
After all, embracing SkiDivas and those they love is what we're all about.

I'd be happy to contribute, or perhaps adopt someone like her for assistance during the harsh months. After all, what's harsh to them is the season we live for.

Help us help her!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Well ladies I've been thinking, and just to play along I can get my head around this a lot easier if I frame it as what other piece of a passion would I have to sacrifice for ski gear and for me it would be bike gear or ski gear, which to choose (that would be very tough for me!!!)
:smile:

Anyway -for the other, Second Harvest is the parent for our local food bank. Just fill up the bag for the next neighborhood food drive. I always see it as an opportunity to both count my blessings and really clean out the cupboards.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Geargrrl, I'll definitely be donating the next time I see a drive or when I'll be down by our local food bank. Thanks for the reminder.

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Geargrrl,

Let me say that I'm sorry about your SILs situation and the unfairness of it. I believe you understand that myself and the other Divas are not indifferent to the hardships of others, and this thread, I'm sure, was certainly not intended to make light of that. I believe that this is truely a genuine group of women who give of themselves regularly...on the forum, to charities, to their communities.
I personally have, in the past, had my own financial hardships and have been reliant upon social services to provide food, heat and shelter, for my family. I know that this is a rough road to travel. No offense to you, your family or anyone else meant.

SnoHot is right on....lets turn it around....please let us know if there is anything that can be done to assist your sister, the food bank or any other organization. I know that the next time I donate it will be with thoughts of families like yours that is on my mind.

This unfortunately does not help your sister, but a few weeks ago I signed up to volunteer w/ our local Hole in the Wall Camp for their adaptive ski program for children w/ chronic or life threatening illnesses. I am glad to help in any way possible make the unthinkable a reality for some of these kids. This camp provides year round camp activities for these special young people. As a Respiratory Therapist, I have the honor to volunteer time during their summer camp for ventilator dependent children. Great place!

For anyone interested here are a couple of links:

https://www.holeinthewallcamps.org/

https://www.doublehranch.org/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga