• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski/walk system (Tecnica/Dolomite)

TsuKata

Certified Ski Diva
Does anyone else have Tecnica or Dolomite boots with the ski/walk system?

I'm having trouble figuring out how I'm supposed to be using it. I kind of assumed I knew how it worked when I left the store, but now, after having been in the boots for awhile, I'm wondering if I'm not doing things right.

On the switch on the back of the boot, there's a side labeled "Ski Walk Walk Ski" and a side with no labeling. To me, whether that switch is flipped up or down, I can't tell the difference *unless* I've adjusted the boots in one position and then I go to change it. Then, I notice a difference, but it doesn't seem to be consistent. That is, I can't tell if the "walk" mode is with the switch up or down.

I did some reading on the Tecnica site (the Dolomite site had no info), and it almost implies that I don't even need to flip the switch...that the boot just "knows" if I'm in a ski or if I'm walking without a ski if it's in Ski/Walk system mode. That theory makes the label more logical...I can't figure out why, since the switch flips between a blank side and a label side, they didn't just write "Ski" on one side and "Walk" on the other if that was the intended use. On the other hand, my DH, who has much more ski experience than I, insists that there must be a ski position and a walk position.

So, here are my questions:
1) Do I flip the switch to go from walking mode to skiing mode (which is how my rental boots worked in the past and what I and my DH assumed was the case) or do I just leave the switch in the labelled "ski walk walk ski" mode and it auto-changes?
1a) If I am supposed to flip the switch to go back and forth, which side is the walking mode side?
2) When I adjust the boot for the first time, what position should the switch be in? That is, assuming there is a ski-position, should I adjust the boots while in ski-position for tightness/grip and then change it to walk position?

Jilly

Staff member
This sounds like the system I had on a pair of Lange Anthea's years ago. They would go into ski mode as soon as I flexed forward. But they didn't go into walk mode unless I unbuckled the 3rd buckle. From your explaination and the website, I don't know how it knows your walking and not just pushing back on the boot top. I'm going to check some of the europeon websites and see if there is anything more there.

Jilly

Staff member
Mine did, so somebody lost it out of the box on you. Give me some time here.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go ask your boot dood to explain it again!

My old Salomons have some kind of ski/walk thing. Not as sophisticated a deal as yours sounds to be. I set 'em to ski and left 'em that way, all the time!

Kano

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No idea. Give Rick a call, he should be able to explain over the phone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga