• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Style and Ski Demos

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This last week I hung out in the demo booth for the ski store that carrries Elans. They do a huge amount of stuff for me and I was happy to help.

They asked me to ski with people who were demoing skis and gibe them so feedback about the skis. I was really amazed at the differences that I saw with the same ski.

One woman skied five skis---the Head (Wild Thang) was too heavy for her to flex; the Volkl Tierra was too stiff; the Elan Magfire was okay--finally, she began to carve a little--but, then she put on the Volkl Aura and she became happy. I realized that she was not going to carve her turns on that ski---and that she did not finish her turns, but, really, she was so happy on that ski that it worked for her. It gave her a lot of confidance in the powder that we had last weekend. She did get it.

But, another person would come along who always carved her turns and she hated the Aura since it was too wide for her to edge easily.

It was so interesting to me---one person would take out a ski and skid every turn; then go back and be really happy with the ski----another person with the same ski would not like the feel; especially if they were into carving.

I can see that so much of enjoyment of a ski is related to technique and then matching the ski with the person and the person's needs. Not everyone needs to carve every turn---but, I can see that someone who does not carve would love a fat ski on the groomers as well as in the powder. A really tall, strong skier who can carve a fat ski might also like it. Shorties like me who don't have enough leg to torque over a fat ski might prefer a mid fat.

Everything is so subjective---so, ladies get out there and demo some skis!!! I think it is good to demo whenever you get the chance, because it will make it easier to pick a new ski if you have demoed a few and, at least, know what you like in general terms. There are so many good skis out there---but the choice for you might be totally different that the ski that I would pick.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a demo-ing question: if one ski in a particular line knocks your socks off, but you're not looking to buy that particular type (e.g. carver), how reliably could you assume that a different type of ski (e.g. all-mountain mid-fat) in the same line would work just as well for you?

For instance, I demoed a Dynastar Exclusive 10 last year, and really liked it, but it was too narrow (I wanted a mid-fat) so I bought the Exclusive Legend un-demoed. And it's worked out great so far...

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd suggest you don't assume anything, especially if you're sensitive to the nuances of a ski. Perfect example--a couple of weeks ago I skied Nordica--the Conquer and Firefox blew me away but I didn't like the Victory.

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jaydog,

While I think that Quiver Queen has a point----I have skied Elan's for a long time because I like the feel of them--they ususally have wood cores and so are damp and stable. Often, I order a ski in the fall without demoing the ski beforehand. However, I mostly order the midfat, expert level ski---and, so far, they have been similar.

It is true that one ski might be stiffer than another---giving it a different feel, but the overall type of ski is similar from one manufacturer to another. If you like K2s or Volkls, you will ususally like any ski that they make---even though some of them might be too stiff or too soft for you. I hope that makes sense.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've said it before and I'll say it again. That's why we use the Ski Score card when we demo anything.

Its not important for you/me/anyone to write a review on a piece of gear based on personal grins, but more so to recognize the properties of the equipment.
If I(reviewer) can write an objective review based on performance and properties, than you(reader/researcher) can estimate if it is a piece of gear you would consider laying down money for.

Like QQ said, never assume anything. The industry is changing at a fairly fast rate and we should expect the unexpected.

Elangirl. I skied the Wave Spice and the Speed Magic and loved them. When it came to the midfat, I preferred the Blizzard Titan Eos over the 888, but then I demoed those in completely different lengths based on what was available. I have an idea I'd like the 888 in a 168, waiting to try it when I can. :D

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My experience leads me to say "don't assume anything!" also.

Last's years demos left me incredibly surprised and delighted by skis I'd never have considered buying and disappointed by some on my "short list". I've always hated anything from Rossi and K2, but was awestruck by the Z9 and the Outlaw :noidea: . Nordica's Olympia Speed was a huge WOW :thumbsup: ! As a Volkl girl and lover of the 6*, you'd think I'd love the Allstar wouldn't you? Nope, I was totally uninspired by it :rolleyes: .

So GET OUT THERE and DEMO!!!!!!!

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never been able to demo skis before, but managed to demo some weekends ago, and I have to say it told me a lot about my skiing. I tried on a pair of racing skis from Elan, and tried to do bumps and going down a red hill. And I was shocked to discover that I couldn't make one turn without feeling I lost control of the skis. Did the same run with Salomon Origins, and it felt comfortable og safe. My old skis are Salomon X-scream. Then I did the same with the Völkl Aura. What a difference a ski make... For the first time in years, bumps was just fun and I had no problems at all. It's just an amazingly good ski for my way of skiing. The next day I tried the Aura again in a shorter length, and it just felt wrong. So the length of the ski has a lot to say.

Demoing in Norway is very different than demoing in the US, or that's what friends of mine says, who's been skiing on both sides of the Atlantic. Most of the time they only had one length of the skis. Some times I had to give them my driver licence to be able to lend them, and sometimes I could just lend the skis without giving them anything in security. So I think we norwegians are gullible people.

Anyway, demoing was fun and interesting, and I learnt a lot by doing it. :smile:

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I completely agree about the subjectivity of demos and ski reviews and preferences.

I just wish we had more demo days around here :(

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
astridhj, now you know why we talk so much about the benefits of demos! Glad you got the experience, but now you might not want to buy again without trying skis out. If that's the case, come on over to this side of the Atlantic for your research!

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Quiver Queen, I might just do that :-) You all know how much I want to go skiing on your side of the Atlantic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga