• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski selection advice for an Amazon snow warrior

Buffy the slope slayer

Diva in Training
Hello ski sisters!

I am so happy to have found this site! I have been trolling this ski forum for a while and have received some great advice (un-beknownst to you, but greatly appreciated :smile: ). I am in the market for new skis and haven't been able to pinpoint any previous posts that matched my specific needs, so I thought I would make the leap of commitment and register.

Here's some info. about me that might help in narrowing down some choices: I am a 38 year old skier who has been skiing since I was 6 years old. I am 5'8" tall and weigh 145 lbs (those stats are what usually cause me difficulty when searching this forum) I guess they just grow 'em taller in the midwest.....must be all the dairy:noidea:.

As stated above, I am from the midwest and despite the fact that everybody else in my family has skied the promiseland of powder, I alas, have been limited to ski on the crud and hard packed ice of the Wisconsin hills. I dream of going to the "snow ball" someday, but for right now, I am still the Cinderella of the slopes.:Cry:....okay - pity party's over (but I'll still keep the lid off the gallon of ice cream).

Anyway, despite my less-than-stellar snow conditions, I do consider myself an aggressive, advanced skier (level 7- 8) who likes to carve it up with the big boys. In fact, I've been told that I "ski like a guy". I am also on the ski patrol of a local hill (that way when I injure myself on an ice patch, I can bandage myself up and get back out there ). I need a pair of skis that can perform well under any condition since we ski under every condition.

I do have the advantage of some nice discounts through NPS during our area's "pro night" and my brother does work at a local ski shop, so I'm not as concerned about price. Ski patrol also gets discounted lift tickets to the big resorts out West, so hope is still alive that I will get out there in the near future. I am currently skiing on 6 year old Dynastars (don't know the model) - length is 167. Any advice on make, model and ski length (ski shop dude suggested I go to 160's) would be greatly appreciated.

Much ski love to you all!:love:

Volkl Fuego. They bite ice and carve steady and fast, all shaped turns. I am 1" shorter than you, same weight and the 161s are great for me. You could consider the 168s, but then they might be a bit stiff in the bumps. With ski patrol duties, I would think that the 161s would give you the most versatility.

Disclaimer: I :love: Volkls. However, the Fuegos sound perfect for your needs despite my bias.

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is there ANY chance you can demo. I cannot tell you how important it was for me. I was sure the K2s (Lotta Luvs) were the ski for me until I demo'd them and HATED them. :mad: I demo'd 3 different Vokls and LOVED them all. The guy in the demo tent did tell me that the Tierras would hold up better on ice and the Fuegos were even better (less flex back and forth). Thankfully the conditions were similar to that here in Michigan (probably same ice/crud you get).

I am really hoping to get better at bumps so I went with a shorter ski and they still felt very stable. I did end up with the Fuego and got it in a 154 (I'm 5'9" and 210 pounds). They were plenty stable, agile, and wonderful. :D The Tierras would have been wonderful had I not gone into the bumps with them and I also would recommend a try on the NOrdica Victory (they were SWEET!).

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oooooohhhh....that ALMOST sounded like "price is no object"!

In that case, get the Volkl Fuego for your hard and harder snow days in WI and the Volkl Aura for those occasional soft and deep days and the trips out west. Done and done!

Or.....you can demo a bunch of stuff first (and then buy the Fuego and Aura :laugh:)

Another choice for mostly groomer days: Nordica Firefox, Head Xenon

1-ski quiver choices: Nordica Conquer, Victory, or Helldiver, any of the Head Monsters, Volkl Aurora or Tierra

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Loved your post, wanted to say howdy from a former Wisconsinite! (moved away 8 years ago)

Well, you've pretty much narrowed your ski needs down to around, oh, 50 or so skis :eek: --- I'm keying in on the "perform well under any condition" - which kind of directs me more to an all-mountain type of ski, i.e. somewhat wider at the waist, 75-80. Have you skied a wider waist ski? Sounds to me, given that you're on Ski Patrol, that you might really appreciate this. I recall that there can be considerable "glop" in your region come warmer temps. The advantage to the wider waist is charging through this stuff w/o hang-up.

SO many good choices out there, but it ultimately is such a personal one---hope you can demo somewhere/somehow and find the right match. But I thought I'd throw the all-mountain category into the mix here.

Buffy the slope slayer

Diva in Training
Thank You!

Thank you so much for all your great replies to my inquiry. Here's the follow-up on my quest:

I research my purchases to exhaustion (some say obsession). Google becomes my best friend when trying to find out information on product reviews and great deals. I have been burned too many times in the past with impulse purchases so my motto is, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, I'm going to haggle you out of any hopes of a profit margin.":eyebrows:

I know that the best research I could do for ski selection is to demo, but that option was unfortunately a rare privledge in this area. However, through your advice and a little divine intervention, I think I came up with the next best thing - Find the ski that I want for such an incredible great deal that I won't be too put out if it ends up being a disappointing performer. Yes, Volklgirl, money was an option. LOL! I do appreciate your enthusiasm at the thought of unlimited funds. That would be awesome!:thumbsup:

So, I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a pair of 161 Volkl Fuego demo skis from evogear. With free shipping and an extra 20% taken off at check-out with their last weekend's sale, my total price for these much coveted skis is.....wait for it...........promise you won't hate me.........

$266.32! Can I do the happy ski dance now?:yahoo::yahoo:
I will let you know how I like them/love them once I get them. However, at that price, even if I'm lukewarm to them, I can grow to love them.:love:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
$266.32! Can I do the happy ski dance now?:yahoo::yahoo:
:eek::thumbsup:
Ya done good! Man, what a bargain!!
You're right, at that price, what's not to like.
And----given your location, there's nothing not to like! :smile:
Perfect for where you are!
Follow-up report requested!

Buffy the slope slayer

Diva in Training
Thanks for sharing my ski-joy celebration MaineSkiLady! Always nice to hear from a fellow Badger Babe.:smile: Speaking of which, do you think a foam cheese head would make for a good ski helmet? Couldn't hurt to try right?:becky:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:dance:Nice deal!!!!:dance:

With all the money you saved, you just need to add a teeny bit more to pick up the Aura too :wink: :laugh:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Thanks for sharing my ski-joy celebration MaineSkiLady! Always nice to hear from a fellow Badger Babe.:smile: Speaking of which, do you think a foam cheese head would make for a good ski helmet? Couldn't hurt to try right?:becky:
:ROTF:
Had one --- sold it at a garage sale before we moved out here. Dumb move. If I had a nickel for every person here who has asked me if I had one......

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you serious????? :doh: I'm usually one to overthink EVERY purchase too. My only problem was that once I found the Fuegos I couldn't even stomach the thought of riding my old skis down the mountain one more time so I bought them at the top and rode the new ones down. :laugh: Let me just say, you got a HECK of an awesome deal! I'm completely :jealous:
I can't wait to hear how you LOVE them! :clap:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga