• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Mag's Resort Rankings Are Out.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I grew up in Colo. 1960-68 before coming to CA. Steamboat is a beautiful place. Uncle had a huge cattle ranch there & it was a 1 road town. Mountain valleys & river are beautiful all seasons. I think it is the snow amount & quality that must be the attraction. I've driven haysleds w/teams of horses on it to feed the cattle all winter. Because of it's orientation in the Rockies the snow is usually phenominal & reliable. It stays cold enough w/blue skys & surrounding mountains to keep the snow gorgeous! I haven't been back for 30 years so I'm sure it has become totally developed as a resort, but can't have lost it's ranching roots entirely. And, the mountains really don't change.

NannyMin

Banned
You know there's a reason for my asking!

There's a quiet invitation in Epic for an informal gathering in Steamboat in mid-Dec. Since it's low season (not the best to get good snow, on the other hand), I might give it a try if I can find someone to carpool/room with.

(Part of the reason I've been going to Europe and avoiding the US is I don't have to pay double for room in Europe. They have a wonderful concept call "single room" at 50-60% of a double rate. -- and over there the generally lower lift ticket price pretty much off-set the slightly higher airfair -- so I, a singleton, actually come out ahead).

If you do end up going to Steamboat and want to take any lessons, Deb Armstrong their new Alpine Technical Director is going to be doing some specialty clinics and some women's clinics. Deb is an incredible instructor and is a lot of fun to be around.

What's the appeal of Steamboat? Anyone's been there?

I've never tried it because it's not that close to the airport. And once you're there, you're THERE. There's no other resort nearby. So you ski THERE. And that's a little disturbing...

Don't get me wrong, I would stay a week in a few single resort that I know well, Vail, Alta/Snowbird, Heavenly. But Steamboat isn't nearly as large as any of them. A week there...

So, what's so special about Steamboat?

Ahhhhhhh....Steamboat! :love:

If you don't feel the love, you probably never will. Steamboat is a very special place.......you just have to "feel" it. Then you'll know...

I haven't been to Colorado but I was guessing that it something to do with the size of the mountains and snow quality, maybe also the services offerred, quality of the ski school, etc. As mentioned, I don't know from personal experience...but have read things along those lines.

Coloradans are very sweet people, too!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't doubt it NVG!!. I'm tentatively planning a trip to....guess where...Steamboat Springs this winter...and perhaps more than that too. Will keep you all posted. Hopefully, it will all come together!!!

lozz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah for Austria. Excellent hospitality and skiing is good and the views wow. I love alpine countries. I hope there is much more snow in Austria and europe this year than we had last year. We have thought about banff and canada, but it is a long flight from Netherlands and well banff is not the cheapest place! (not that I am looking for cheap) Maybe?::snow:

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So where in the US would you recommend as one of the best places for someone coming across the Atlantic for the first time? I have never been to any of the big resorts in the Alps and can amuse myself all day on the same slope if it is interesting and long enough, much prefer a few good really long runs to loads of short ones. I am getting more confident on runs but still not at black run level (European). Meanwhile some of the other people I ski with like it a bit steeper and scarier than me and to go in the park a bit as well. We all love powder although I have really only skied it once but definitely prefer ungroomed and fresh snow. Will ski in any conditions (I live and ski in Scotland :cool: ) and don't bother about apres, we like somewhere nice to eat then a few drinks in the chalet, its all about the skiing!
Thinking about venturing across the pond this year or next give me your opinions :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
Obviously I'm not their target audience, but what's funny to me is that it's almost like a list of places I want to go to mountain bike in summer, but have no desire to go to in winter.

1. Deer Valley, UT (we usually have summer season passes there, and will go in the winter if someone gives me free tickets, but I wouldn't buy a ticket. It's nice but not my scene at all.)
2. Vail, CO (used to have a good DH course, don't know if there's still any good riding, but I have no desire to ever ski there.)
3. Whistler/Blackcomb, B.C. (MECCA for biking we have vowed to go for 2 weeks minimum every year, skiing looks good, but I'll save my $$$ for summer trips. We have friends who go for 2-3 MONTHS in summer..... seething with jealousy.)
4. Aspen, CO (skiing looks good - scene does not. We've been there in summer. I'm not particularly interested to go back.)
5. Snowmass, CO (we've been there for MTB races, I'd never go in winter.)
6. Park City, UT (I've lived here 7 years and still never skied there and don't plan to, but they have great XC mountain biking.)
7. Breckenridge, CO (might be worth a trip - mostly because we have friends there with sleds, so it would be backcountry, not resort skiing.)
8. Beaver Creek, CO (no real interest in going there - the only thing I know about it is they have great grooming. Bleh.)
9. Steamboat, CO (heard there's great dirt bike trails there - we've been meaning to go. Winter probably wouldn't be bad either.)
10. Sun Valley, Idaho (THIS - I would definitely go skiing there if the snow was good. I've heard powder days are epic with a loooonnng consistent fall lines. I have been mountain biking there and that's pretty good too.)

altagirl

Staff member
So where in the US would you recommend as one of the best places for someone coming across the Atlantic for the first time? I have never been to any of the big resorts in the Alps and can amuse myself all day on the same slope if it is interesting and long enough, much prefer a few good really long runs to loads of short ones. I am getting more confident on runs but still not at black run level (European). Meanwhile some of the other people I ski with like it a bit steeper and scarier than me and to go in the park a bit as well. We all love powder although I have really only skied it once but definitely prefer ungroomed and fresh snow. Will ski in any conditions (I live and ski in Scotland :cool: ) and don't bother about apres, we like somewhere nice to eat then a few drinks in the chalet, its all about the skiing!
Thinking about venturing across the pond this year or next give me your opinions :smile:

So do you want something more tranquil or is it more that the apres scene is just irrelevant?

Looking for ski in/ski out? Scenery? Convenience to the airport? Lack of crowds? What's most important?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have no fear

Glad we're not listed. It's nice not being as commercialized as those places.

BUT, I fear it's coming. :Cry:
Given the variety of criteria they use ( we did a study in Rec Mgmt back in college re the viability of a certain unnamed peak as a viable ski area ) Your secret will remain safe. Mainly because one of the criteria is ease of travel and both Kalispell Regional and Missoula Regional are fogged in too many days out of the year to make a statistical list like this. Even with the fog machines there are still problems.

abc

Banned
I have never been to any of the big resorts in the Alps and can amuse myself all day on the same slope if it is interesting and long enough, much prefer a few good really long runs to loads of short ones.
Do you mean you never ski the "big" resorts in the Alps? Or have you not been to ANY resorts in the Alps?

As a general rule, the runs stateside is not as long as the ones in the BIG resort of Europe. We simply don't have the vertical. Most resorts in Colorado and Utah are 2000-3000' (roughly 1000 metre), while many resorts in the Alps have 1500-2000 METRE vertical!!!

On the other hand, the "runs" this side of the pond are more "interesting", in my view anyway. Because we ski EVERYWHERE around the mountain. There's no restriction to go off-piste. And you'll see people all over the mountain, through the trees, jumping off rocks and what not. So since you like the un-groomed, you'll find loads.

And if you get lucky, you might hit powder jackpot!

More specifically, Vail is great, albeit expensive. Steamboat should also be great too, although I've never been. Deer Valley I'm told is good, both skiing and apres. Again expensive. I've only skied there once and I found it a bit tame, though you might actually like it.

You probably want to stay away from Alta and Snowbird until you get a bit more comfortable with blacks.

Probably the more reasonable price and skiing would be around Summit county. Breckenridge, Keystone and Copper are quite intermediate friendly. Even A-basin isn't too difficult to handle for the most part. Great snow up there!

Drinks are cheap. Food is cheap too. But generally also cheap in quality, unfortunately. About the level of hotel food in the Alpine resorts. Unless you go to Vail or Deer Valley, then the reverse is true.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never been to anywhere in the Alps. I've only been skiing for 3 years and have been to Bulgaria, Slovenia and Slovakia. These have been great, very cheap so I've been able to have private lessons. I just love to ski so don't particularly feel the need to travel that many people go to the alps for. However I like trying new places and have a bit more money now than in previous years. I'm going to Zermatt at New year (surprise for my boyfriends 30th) and have been thinking about coming to the US, particulalry as its such good value for us with the exchange rate right now.

I don't mind if its quiet or busy at night, as long as theres somewhere nice to eat. I like quiet slopes and hate lift queues, but who doesn't :smile: If I was coming it would be for 2 weeks so distance from airport isn't too big a factor but would prefer to be able to arrange transfers rather than have to hire a car

altagirl

Staff member
I've never been to anywhere in the Alps. I've only been skiing for 3 years and have been to Bulgaria, Slovenia and Slovakia. These have been great, very cheap so I've been able to have private lessons. I just love to ski so don't particularly feel the need to travel that many people go to the alps for. However I like trying new places and have a bit more money now than in previous years. I'm going to Zermatt at New year (surprise for my boyfriends 30th) and have been thinking about coming to the US, particulalry as its such good value for us with the exchange rate right now.

I don't mind if its quiet or busy at night, as long as theres somewhere nice to eat. I like quiet slopes and hate lift queues, but who doesn't :smile: If I was coming it would be for 2 weeks so distance from airport isn't too big a factor but would prefer to be able to arrange transfers rather than have to hire a car

Solitude might be nice for you in Utah. Fairly quiet, nice lodging, and a good range of terrain, easy transport from the airport. You'd probably like skiing at Snowbasin and Powder Mountain too, but I don't think there's much of anything in the way of lodging at the resort. (I could be wrong, but I haven't noticed any. We just go there on day trips.)

For something off the beaten path - Brianhead might even work. It's in southern UT, nestled in the red rocks, near Cedar Breaks and Zion National Park. It's a small resort with more intermediate terrain than expert stuff, but the scenery is amazing in snow. I'd get a rental car, personally, so you can take some time on the drive to check out the scenic spots. It's really breathtaking scenery - especially with the red rocks covered in snow. And the resort is a quiet little place, nice condos and such right at the resort that aren't very expensive, and there are a handful of restaurants (a nice steakhouse and bar, pizza place, cafe, etc.)

I'm not sure if you want something more well known and "Disneyland" destination resort type of place with a bustling main street full of expensive shops and restaurants - that would definitely NOT be Brianhead. But if you maybe want to try something most people have never heard of, but quiet, beautiful and with a nice friendly (very) small-town atmosphere, that would be my recommendation.

If you want something equivalent to Zermatt, you're probably looking at Vail, etc.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, will stick all these in the memory bank for future trips :smile: its always nice to hear from people who live in the country you want to visit. I like smaller off the beaten track places, Zermatt is more for the whole experience and the snow reliability due to the glacier plus its one of the few places I've heard skiers say they would be happy to be and not be able to ski cause of the stunning scenery. The last holiday I went to in Slovakia only had 33km of pistes and a large freeride unpisted area at the top which I understood as being similar to inbounds but off piste in the US. I'm slightly worried I'm going to get lost in the 300km of zermatt :smile:

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Given the variety of criteria they use ( we did a study in Rec Mgmt back in college re the viability of a certain unnamed peak as a viable ski area ) Your secret will remain safe. Mainly because one of the criteria is ease of travel and both Kalispell Regional and Missoula Regional are fogged in too many days out of the year to make a statistical list like this. Even with the fog machines there are still problems.
Actually, we missed being listed AT ALL in some of the magazines, but we are listed suddenly at #20 (above Alta????) in SKI. But for our Scottish friend, the lack of lines, the proximity to the airport (many of the lodges and inns run shuttles if you make arrangements), the friendliness of the locals to tourons from other countries (as opposed to Texas for instance, sorry but they drive me nuts) the great number of intermediate cruising runs, and the great food in a great little town that is not that commercialized make our resort one to consider (Whitefish Mountain Resort). Our prices are really reasonable ($56 lift tickets if you purchased a day at a time, better if you purchase in blocks -- it can be pulled down to around $46 a day then) compared to Deer Valley, Vail, etc. YA just have to be prepared for fog and be thrilled when the gloomy view from town turns into a wonderful "inversion" day.

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I were flying over the Atlantic, I'd have to think about what part of the U.S. I'd want to head to. East coast , the West ( Colorado, Wyoming,Utah,Idaho, Montana) , or the West coast, Oregon, Washington, California - Lake Tahoe & Mammoth, (June Mountain if it gets any snow this year). All are very different, the mountain ranges, snow/ice conditions, and the atmosphere of the towns or resorts. What month(s) are you thinking of coming ?

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's the appeal of Steamboat? Anyone's been there?

I've never tried it because it's not that close to the airport. And once you're there, you're THERE. There's no other resort nearby. So you ski THERE. And that's a little disturbing...

Don't get me wrong, I would stay a week in a few single resort that I know well, Vail, Alta/Snowbird, Heavenly. But Steamboat isn't nearly as large as any of them. A week there...

So, what's so special about Steamboat?

Don't know about special for skiing, but the surrounding mountain meadows & ranches are/were beautiful. The snow spectacular. Spent lots of time there all times of the year, but never skied there. I'd go ski there now that I'm skiing again.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, we missed being listed AT ALL in some of the magazines, but we are listed suddenly at #20 (above Alta????) in SKI. But for our Scottish friend, the lack of lines, the proximity to the airport (many of the lodges and inns run shuttles if you make arrangements), the friendliness of the locals to tourons from other countries (as opposed to Texas for instance, sorry but they drive me nuts) the great number of intermediate cruising runs, and the great food in a great little town that is not that commercialized make our resort one to consider (Whitefish Mountain Resort). Our prices are really reasonable ($56 lift tickets if you purchased a day at a time, better if you purchase in blocks -- it can be pulled down to around $46 a day then) compared to Deer Valley, Vail, etc. YA just have to be prepared for fog and be thrilled when the gloomy view from town turns into a wonderful "inversion" day.
I should be more surprised but I am not. Big has alot to offer the mainstream skier and it's good for us considerring tourism is what floats our boat ( especially good after summers like we just had we need the out of state $$$ ) I haven't been there since 93 when the gentrification first started. Other than what I hear from my friends who grew up there and can't even recognize the place, town or base area anymore, or know who the hell anyone is even. I think it is funny that they consider it non-commercialized, I remember people complaning in the 80's that downtown Whitefish was "too commercialized". Overall it's good for the resort, they seem to have been struggling, or so they say on the news, with these past several bad snow years. This has probably helped the airport situation considerably though. What the luck, can you imagine if we got a normal winter and a bunch of people got stuck doing the greyhound from Great Falls routine when their plane can't land. ugghhh.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna