• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Length Sizing Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know we've talked about ski length in the past, but I found a few things on line that I thought were of interest. Any comments?

Selecting the correct size of ski
The size of the ski you need is dependent on a combination of factors.
Weight: Your weight is more important than your height as it is this that makes the ski flex or ‘bend’. Heavier skiers need bigger (or stiffer) skis so that there is more stability and surface area, lighter skiers should think about smaller sizes as they may have less power to flex the ski.

Ability/Aggressiveness: The longer the ski the more edge there is for extra grip, and the more base for stability. Cautious skiers should think about down sizing as they do not need the stability at speed but would benefit from extra manoeuvrability of a smaller ski.

Intended Use: The end use has an important influence on the size. The following recommendations are assuming height and weight are roughly in proportion (again be honest!).
Piste Use - chin height to eye level, for easy carving and responsiveness.
All Mountain - nose level to forehead, though the Metrons, and to some extent the Scramblers, can be skied shorter than this.
Freeride - eye height to top of head height is a good size for extra floatation where you’ll need a few more cm’s.
Freestyle - ski it nose level for the maximum ease of spinning and rail tricks but go bigger for all mountain versatility.
Backcountry - go as big as you can handle for maximum floatation (and lift queue kudos).

I found this, too:

WOMEN’S SIZING GUIDELINES

100-130 lbs
Intermediate: 138-150
Adv/Expert: 150-160
Expert: 155-165

130-160 lbs
Intermediate: 145-155
Adv/Expert: 155-163
Expert: 158-170

160 +
Intermediate: 155-160
Adv/Expert: 160-168
Expert: 162-175

Fine tune the size as follows:

Select in the shorter area of this range if you are……
Skiing at a moderate rather than an agressive pace.
On the lighter or shorter end of the scale.
If you prefer quicker turns vs. longer radius turns
Choosing a fairly stiff ski
Select in the longer area of this range if you are….
An aggressive, faster or more skilled skier.
Heavier in weight or taller
Selecting something for substantial off trail use
Choosing a softer ski.

Anyone have any further thoughts on this?

sleddog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that's a good guideline for skis. I think rather than going longer though when one's skills advance, possibly going with a more torsionally rigid ski will be more advantageous. What you gain in width of a ski also compensates for going longer when looking for a powder or off piste ski.

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that's a pretty good starting point. I'm in the 130-160lb range, Adv/Expert and I ski a 160 carving ski and a 165 powder/off-piste ski, and am pretty happy with that sizing.

Remember also that different manufacturers measure their skis differently, and always demo the ski first if possible. I was skiing with a woman friend who had demo'd the K2 Phat Luv in a 153, and really liked it. Said that she'd found a great deal on some leftover skis, but they were 160s so she didn't want to get them because she thought they'd be too long. We are about the same skill level and height, although she weighs a few pounds less than I do. We stood up her demo 153 Phat Luvs next to my 165 Salomon Pocket Rockets, and the difference was probably only a few centimeters, not the 12 centimeters as indicated by the ski size. She ended up buying the leftover 160's after that real life comparison. :D

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know, it's weird -- one company's 160 may not be the same as another company's 160. Don't know what the reason is; could it be that the length measurement is just the length of usable edge? Anyway, I think what you have to do is use the manufacturer's length as a rough guide and demo, demo, demo before you buy. I also think it's a good idea to try the same ski in a couple different lengths, since that can effect performance dramatically.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Manufacturer's lengths

Here's the scoop on why skis listed as the same length regularly aren't:

Some manufacturers measure running length (the distance between where the tip contacts the snow and where the tail contacts, aka contact length).
Some manufacturers measure from tip to tail in a straight line (the effective length of the ski).
Some manufacturers measure from tip to tail along the curve of the base (the actual total length on the ski).

Unfortunately, I don't recall which manufacturers use which methods, so I can't tell you which tend to run longer and which run shorter. Sorry :( .

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ski length

Hi to all I am new to this board. I hope I can answer some of your questions about ski length. The basics mentioned so far are some what true. Here are some ski basics not mentioned. Skis are now made with a turn radius. This is the side cut of the ski. Simply put skis made with a turn radius of 13 meters or less are made to do slalom turns. Skis with a 15 meter radius or greater are made to do GS turns. A 14 meter radius will tend to go both ways depending upon it's stiffness. The reason the 2 pairs of 160s were not the same is because they more than likely they did not have the same turn radius. You can have a pair of 160s with a 15 meter radius side cut or a 13 meter radius side cut. They may be the same length but they will not ski the same. You also need to add to this the stiffness of the ski. The stiffness plays a big role in the responsivness of the ski. Stiff vs soft skis. The weight of the skier is important along with the type of skiing you do and what kind of snow you ski on. Stiff skis are harder to turn than soft skis. Stiff skis are good on hard snow, or as I call it good eastern hard pack! Softer skis are better suited for soft snow. Soft skis are also better for smaller and or less aggressive skiers. The width of the ski is another role player. Wider skis are better for powder and narrow skis are better for ice. Now that I have confussed everyone let me try to make some sense of this. This is my demo experience. I am a rossi girl. I like them because they are stiffer for the eastern hard pack I ski on. K2, Salomon, and Head skis tend to be softer. Atomic, Volkl, Rossignol, and Dynastar tend to be stiff. I know there are other brands, these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Length alone should not be how you buy skis today. When you have the chance I recommend you demo before you buy. If any one has any questions let me know. I ski on 2 pairs of Rossi's, a 153cm w/ a 13 meter radius, and a 160cm w/ a 15 meter radius. They are the same model and don't ski the same. I take my 160s when I go west. I prefer the GS turn over the slalom turn on the long runs out west. I hope this helps.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kris,
I've been finding the same thing unless the ski itself is a heavy beast like the metron.

My shortest ski is "THE SKI" in 162 but its a bump specific ski that I won't likely be carrying any speed. Everything else I have is in the 170 ish range, and I love the stability that is leant with the length.

One thing that continues to surprise me are the women who are on lold 170 ish skis and are now getting shorter skis, being recommended stuff in the 146-153 range. ARGH!
Wouldn't it be a drastic change?
How much could you see an improvement in your skiing if you take that jump from old technology to new technology and drop 20-25 cm in length? I think it would put you into culture shock.
160-170 lengths for me thank you very much!

NW Ski Gal

Diva in Training
I think that there are also a couple of other factors, like how does the ski itself respond. I find that if I ski a shorter ski, that there is greater maneuvrability, but sometimes you sacrifice fore/aft balance in heavier snow, so it all depends on how you ski and how you ski the ski you are on. I am struggling with this issue, however, because I just picked up a pair of 160 K2 Lotta Luvs from a ski swap, and broke the cardinal rule of try before you buy.

I skiied the old t9 spires to death (I loved them so much I didn't want to ski anything else), but noticed that what was listed as 158 on those seems to be a full 10 centimaters shorter than the new skis I just bought. I hope that aren't too beefy for me, there's some great new technology in these that might be helpful. I'm also ready to go back to more of a mid fat. Anyone have thoughts or experiences on this, in this ski?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm closing this to additional posts. If you have any comments or questions, please start another thread.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna