• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski divas who also rock climb, outdoor or indoor?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
We bought our house from a former pro snowboarder (which is to say - he’s a lot more athletic than we are.) He and his daughters are both really into climbing. They put a very short, but very steep bouldering wall up above the garage, but only left a small number of holds so there’s basically only one route that I can do.

Anyway, for Christmas, Santa brought a bunch of climbing holds... woohoo! I plan to spend more time on the bouldering wall now, especially on the days I can’t make it out to ski or ride.

angelaskis

Certified Ski Diva
We bought our house from a former pro snowboarder (which is to say - he’s a lot more athletic than we are.) He and his daughters are both really into climbing. They put a very short, but very steep bouldering wall up above the garage, but only left a small number of holds so there’s basically only one route that I can do.

Anyway, for Christmas, Santa brought a bunch of climbing holds... woohoo! I plan to spend more time on the bouldering wall now, especially on the days I can’t make it out to ski or ride.

Woooahh that is awesome :smile: Sure beats heading to the crowded climbing gym.

I started climbing a year or two ago, more so now that I'm dating a trad climber (aka free outdoor climbing guide, woo-hoo). I was definitely more inclined to top rope since I'm tend more towards endurance than power / technique, but have been enjoying bouldering more lately. You just get more climbs in and it can be either a social time or meditative alone time. Highly recommend getting climbing outside when the snow disappears -- it's so much fun!

bunnyslopelover

Certified Ski Diva
I do orienteering for fitness. I also recently took up dancing. Due to my lifelong fear of heights I do not do climbing. But I love land and water sports like swimming, cycling and horseback riding too.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:frown: It's always climbing season! LOL. But I live about 7 miles away from my gym. And hours and hours away from skiing.

Isnt that the truth! TBH I could probably climb outdoors year round here, if I wait for moderate days or drive to crags that are farther south. But I do enjoy my 3x a week gym days in the winter. Sometimes it goes down to 2x a week if I replace one day with skiing but unless I'm taking a ski trip I like to come in regularly bc otherwise I miss my gym buds and projects. I've also found that being super consistent with getting to the gym has really improved my climbing (inside and out!). In the past few weeks I started consistently finishing v4s at my gym and got my first 12a clean (TR, but still), which isnt too shabby for pushing 40.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Whoaaa @Kimmyt - that’s awesome! In my best climbing shape in my early 20s I think my personal best was a 10a TR. sounds like consistency and hard work is paying off!

asherz515

Certified Ski Diva
I started climbing after my acl surgery. I wanted something else besides skiing. I know divide my time from skiing and climbing and some days do both. I mostly Top rope and have gotten into lead climbing. Which is way more fun. Bouldering scares me I don't want to tweak my knee.

woobata

Diva in Training
indoor and outdoor climber here as well.
definitely agree that the ratings vary by the setters. Also for indoor climbing finding a gym that has a setter that sets routes with interesting flows matter.
bouldering and sport/top rope have slightly different techniques as well. i have watched boulderers (?)
at the indoor gym rocking v5/v6 and struggle on a 5.10b at the same gym. Whereas i can climb up to 5.11d, but can't do a v5.

over the years, it seems like meetups have thrived at the gyms with more people getting exposed to climbing. i only mentioned meetup since to me, the forums for climbing are not too kind to noobs.

i'm in the LA area too, are you going to Sender or Stronghold?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna