• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Ski advice: K2 v. Volkl v. Dynastar

Lorie

Diva in Training
Hello:

I am new to this forum and struggling mightly with deciding on what skis to buy/demo to ski here in the East. I'm 47, 5'2'' and about 105 lbs. I have been skiing since the late 1980s with a break for about 5 or 6 years in the late 1990s. The last pair of skis I bought in the early 90s were atomic 9.18 and recently decided to try out new skis, primarily b/c my 8 year old child is starting to go into trees and areas where I can't follow him with my long almost straight skis! We mainly ski grooms of blue and some blacks.

At someone's advice I tried the Dynastar Exclusive Active but they seem to chatter a lot at high speeds, but they were good on some bumps which I normally don't and can't do (but will need to do if I want to keep up w/ my child!). I also tried the Volkl Tierra, which I liked a lot on the grooms, but have been told not so good on bumps or trees and require constant attention. Thought about the K2 one luvs or burnin luvs, as well as the Volkl Sol at the advice of a few friends.

Bottom line, I need a good all around ski that will let me carve on the grooms (and go fast when I want to!), but also lets me follow my child into the trees! We ski mainly in the East, so not too much powder which I assume would require a whole different ski!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!:smile:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is there any possiblity of a demo? I honestly think you cannot find skis on recommendations. I was almost SURE that the Lotta Luv's were for me until I tried them and hated them. Found them very "slidy" and just not very responsive. Now, I turned around and tried the Fuego and LOVED them. I found them very responsive in the bumps but they are narrow so trees might not be great. I did like the Luna in the trees and the bumps but did find some wandering at higher speeds :smile:

Good luck.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Burnin Luvs are great in bumps as they have enough flex in tip and tail. I've been able to take mine through crud and piles of man-made powder and they zipped right through it. They turn very easily and are easy to manage - they don't require a lot of energy to ski, but will ski fast when pressed.

Lorie

Diva in Training
Thanks to both of you for the advice! I will plan to demo in March at Brettonwoods and will be sure to put the Burnin Luvs on my list!:smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga