• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Should you exercise when you're in pain?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
An interesting article in the NY Times refutes the popular theory that you should not exercise if you have certain types of pain.

According to the researchers, forceful stretching of tendons elicits the production of molecules that are involved in inflammation. But small repeated stretching of tendons that are already inflamed leads to the production of molecules that heal inflammation. That suggests moderate exercise can actually speed healing.

Here's the whole article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/fashion/11FITNESS.html?pagewanted=1

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hm, I dunno. I might be weird, but I always stretch out and try to work (though not overwork) sore or strained muscles. It's always been my recovery plan, and so far so good. I feel alot worse if I just sit on it.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It depends on what type of pain... I know that personally I can tell the difference between the type of pain for me that indicates a serious injury, and therefore one that I shouldn't mess around with, and an injury that is just a tweaked or sore muscle and that I will be able to work through.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in agreement with this article. When I tore my ACL/MCL last year I expected my ortho to say "rest" but in his opinion the best thing I could do was to ride my bicycle on my indoor trainer. I rode almost everyday for 30 min. to 1 hr. By the end of 6 weeks the MCL was feeling pretty good, I was strong enough to ride outside and was thinking maybe I could ski and I was ready for the ACL surgery.

Nine days after ACL surgery I was back on the bike and riding outdoors 4 weeks after surgery. The first rides outdoors were pretty slow and easy but at least I was back on the bike.

If I had not had my trainer to ride, and a Dr. and physical therapist encouraging me to exercise my knee, I would have been one very frustrated and depressed person.

I'm convinced my recovery was easier because I was allowed to ride my bike and keep myself moving.

Kathi

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga