• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Season pass decision time - Mt. Snow or Stratton?

vermonter

Diva in Training
Looking for advice about where to purchase a season pass. I just moved down to Pownal, VT. Last year I lived in N Benn, had a season pass at Stratton, and got a little bored but would be willing to do it again if compelled. I'm looking for something close to home, otherwise I'd probably NOT be purchasing a pass at EITHER of these places! :smile: Here are the considerations so far:

Stratton:
+I have good friends who have season passes there - would be nice to see them
+Slightly easier drive, I think, than to Mt. Snow - more miles to Stratton, but less treacherous in bad weather?
+Speedy gondola can be nice on cold days
-Had a season pass there last year - boredom?
-Nickname "Flatten" says it all
-Not very much sun exposure on the main face

Mt. Snow:
+new and different since I had a pass @ Stratton last year
-slightly more difficult drive (shorter, but steep Rte 9 heading up to Wilmington can be scary in bad weather, I think?)

I am an advanced skiier, enthusiastic about all terrain (bumps, steep and fast, anything in between). Can anyone add any advice for Stratton or Mt. Snow? I haven't skiied Mt. Snow in over 10 years, so I really can't remember the terrain and crowds situation.

I'm open to other areas close by (Bromley, Jiminy Peak) - basically just looking for advice re: where the best investment in a season pass would be. Finding challenging terrain and good snow are my two most important considerations, followed closely by the fact that I have friends who will be skiing at Stratton. I'm less concerned about crowds, since I'll have a season pass and will be satisfied with skiing just in the morning before the lines get bad. But I am interested in knowing if there's a real difference in attitude among the skiers at Mt Snow vs Stratton. My sense is that they're both close enough to NY to be bothersome.

Thanks for any advice you can give, Divas!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know either mountain, but isn't the Stratton pass good at Okemo and Sunapee? That would sway me in that direction. I have no idea about Mt. Snow though.

abc

Banned
I think Mt Snow has the edge terrain-wise. There's more variety there. At least it "feels" that way. Not all the trail feel like the next one as the case in Stratton.

Though come to think of it, I haven't skied Stratton for quite a few years now. Didn't they openned up some trees? So my comparison might be out of date.

I don't recall rt 9 being that difficult. But I'm not a storm chaser so never had to drive it in the middle of the storm.

My sense is that they're both close enough to NY to be bothersome.
Bang on!

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In the recent past, I've had passes to each although they were passes that allowed me to ski elsewhere so the boredom with one resort never got to me. For variety, you may want to checkout the SOS pass (Stratton/Okemo/Sunapee) or the Mt Snow/Crotched pass.

Some random thoughts about the mtns:
  • IMO Stratton and Mt Snow suffer the same bad congestion issues on Saturdays. Knowledge of the mountain can help keep you away from the worst of it.
  • The crowds and the attitudes are similar too. Not much you can do about that.
  • Both do a good job with grooming, but I would give an edge to Mt Snow. Since both are southern VT they suffer some bad freeze/thaw cycles. In my experience, Mt Snow recovers more quickly.
  • I think Mt Snow's season tends to be a couple weeks longer.
  • Stratton has more high speed lifts and the gondola
  • Parking situation is a bit better at Mt Snow, but it's not great at either
  • The North Face at Mt Snow can be a lot of fun. I like it more than the more challenging parts of Stratton
Overall, the mountains are somewhat similar. If you have friends at one area, that would surely be an advantage. I have fun skiing alone, but more fun with others.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga