• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Right ski/left ski

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not sure I am posting in the right forum. I have been told that there is no such thing as a right/left ski(although there may be exceptions). When I leased my ski, the company put a sticker with its name and a big R on one of the ski. So I started putting that ski on my right foot all the time. I am not sure if it matters but I've had a couple of tune-up since then. Today I switched the skis and I had a terrible time skiing. When I switched them back I skied a lot better. When I told my instructor he said it should not matter and it is all in my head. So what do you think? If your right ski is on your right foot does the edge change and gets used to that leg? or I am imaging things?

Jilly

Staff member
I have one ski that has a sticker on it. At lunch I make sure that ski is on the other foot. Sounds like you are not wearing your edges at the same rate. After your next tune, try switching them up during the day.

lucine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is not in your head. It is on your feet.

If I am having a tough time and/or catching an edge frequently, I change my skis feet. One pair I have NEVER had to do it. The other pair I have to ski with them on the right feet, they came that way from day one, and during tunes......My skis just seem to like it better that way.
Some people tune them that way on purpose. Some ski it that way.
Have fun

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The skis are stickered for the following reason: the bindings were specifically adjusted to the right or left boot. For new boots this shouldn't matter at all. For older boots, uneven wear on the boot sole can (but usually does not) affect binding settings like toe height or forward pressure. Basically, the shop is just covering their butt.

As to having problems using them on the opposite feet: your edges wear and become less sharp as you use them. If you use the same set of edges as your inside edges, they will wear at a faster rate than the other set of edges. This will help them skid more easily but will make them skittery on ice. If you're catching the edges when you switch them, it just means that either the newer edges have burrs on them that haven't been taken care of, or you're skidding your turns rather than carving and the sharper edges are tripping you up. Really, you should be alternating right and left skis every day so all four edges wear evenly.

Racers do the right/left thing on purpose......they train on one set of edges then race on the other so they always have fresh and super-sharp edges for racing. Sometimes they even tune the edges differently with different edge bevels for training and racing or for different types of racing.

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks. I will have the tuning shop check my edges. My husband thought that one of them, the one I have problem turning on, is duller than the others. The thing that is weird is that the edges that I use turning right(dominant leg) is sharper than the others. Shouldn't they be duller as I press more on these edges. I will experiment today on the bunny hill.

CAdreaming

Certified Ski Diva
Ummm...
My skis don't have right or left.
However, my DH's skis are designated right or left. He was told by the ski shop where he bought his skis that his skis are designed with right and left concept.
His skis are at least 6 years old now. So, maybe it has something to do with it. They are Volki Carver Xcape.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope, there is no real right or left.

This general concept does not apply to skis whose graphics require a right and left, though. Skiing with those on the wrong feet is just not very Diva-ish!!! :becky:

GrenobleSkier

Certified Ski Diva
I have the Rossi Bandits with the wings (which I adore BTW) and ALWAYS where them on the proper side. I am a an aspiring DIVA and don't want to be caught out not being "diva-ish"...:wink: Would I notice if I put them on the wrong foot? Not sure about that.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope, there is no real right or left.

This general concept does not apply to skis whose graphics require a right and left, though. Skiing with those on the wrong feet is just not very Diva-ish!!! :becky:
Seriously! The first time I skied on my Lady Harts, I accidentally put them on the wrong feet and didn't notice until the lift ride up. I didn't want to stop to switch them when it really doesn't matter, but it drove me nuts that the graphics didn't match up until lunchtime when I could fix it! :becky:

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The skis are stickered for the following reason: the bindings were specifically adjusted to the right or left boot. For new boots this shouldn't matter at all. For older boots, uneven wear on the boot sole can (but usually does not) affect binding settings like toe height or forward pressure. Basically, the shop is just covering their butt.
Well not always. The shops I dealt with in VT always asked for only one boot to do binding checks & what not. Yet they still put those stickers on, which I have always just ignored & just randomly put whichever ski on whichever foot. So this year I brought a pair to REI to be adjusted and they got all bent out of shape that I didn't have both boots with me. What you said was the reason - possible uneven wear. Well the boots are only 2 year old boots and I had brought the right boot, which if anything has more wear, so they finally gave in & just did it. New concept to me!

altagirl

Staff member
Personally - I just get used to the feel of my skis when they're on the "right" foot. (Just meaning, I have stickers on them and am consistent about which is which, not that it mattered when they were new). And I generally only leave one boot when they're getting bindings mounted and set up so that's not an issue.

I don't tune my skis very often, so it's mostly a matter of being used to how they feel. If I put them on the opposite foot, they feel weird. If I was actually concerned about ice performance I can see swapping them regularly to maintain edge life. But since I'm not, I just go with what feels consistent.

The only time I've made a switch is with rock skis when I have so much unrepairable edge damage that I need to put it on the side the won't get used as much.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a left and right, but I admit it's purely psychological. Had a couple of bad runs? Skis must be on the wrong foot, switch skis and performance magically improves.

:eyebrows:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga