• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Riding the T-bar with Children or with Someone with a Large Height Difference

starrynights

Diva in Training
Survey: https://forms.gle/BE3TPWVHWpdhS6Px8

Hi! I am currently a year 12 student from NSW and for my HSC Design and Technology major project, I am thinking of solving the problem of riding the T-bar with children or with someone with a large height difference by making an quick-adjust t-bar where you can change the heights of either side (not finalised!), which can accommodate for the height difference (and would not slow down the lift operator). I would like this to be implemented on beginner slopes (where people are learning how to ride the t-bar, especially kids) and possibly on slopes which can only be accessed via t-bar. (p.s. there are a lot of t-bars in Perisher, which is where I am basing my project on). If anyone could respond to my survey (above), it would be much appreciated!!

Motivation for my Project Idea:
During a recent snowboarding trip to Perisher with a family friend and his 5-year-old daughter, I observed a challenging situation involving the T-bar ski lift. Due to most lifts being on wind hold, the T-bar was the only available option for ascending the mountain without the need for hiking.
The inherent issue lay in the substantial height difference between the 5-year-old child and the adult. In this particular scenario, the adult had to bend uncomfortably low and apply considerable force on their side of the T-bar to prevent the child from being lifted into the air on the other side. Simultaneously, they had to maintain their own stability while ensuring the safety of the child throughout the ride. Unfortunately, despite their best efforts to avoid these challenges, the journey was marred by discomfort and, at times, even resulted in the child falling off the T-bar, posing a genuine risk of injury.

Reactions: AJM

Jilly

Staff member
I taught children at a local hill that only had T-bars. Now the ride was short, but steep. The instructor usually ended up with the bar at the top of their boots. It's what we did to get the kids up the hill.

So, you idea just might have merit.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Done

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our local hill is mainly T bars and when my son was little we were standing in line and one the instructors who was a lot shorter than me called out to Sam (My son) "hey jump on with me" which was a huge relief for me and my calves then some guy who had 2 children asked me if I would ride up with one his as he couldnt take them both up so my relief was very shortlived :laughter:

Jilly

Staff member
Anyone taking up really small kids.....Have the kid straddle your outside leg/ski. Putting your knee against their back. So, your outside ski is between their skis. Outside as the side of the path that the T's are not returning on.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone taking up really small kids.....Have the kid straddle your outside leg/ski. Putting your knee against their back. So, your outside ski is between their skis. Outside as the side of the path that the T's are not returning on.
As an experienced skier with very limited Tbar experience (apx 10 rides in my life), that sounds positively scary to me and like a lawsuit waiting to happen as I loose my track and run them over. LOL. Different if it is a friend's child or your own.

I had to ask my relative and colleague to please let me ride alone the very first time I tried one last year! I grew up with pomas, but the T Bar is quite a steep learning curve, especially with my mild attention deficit challenges.... He looked at me very perplexed but honored my wish, only on the first go around.

Jilly

Staff member
I would agree, you have to comfortable with your own ability. We had so many kids that advanced past the handle tow, we ask CSIA, and that was their response. I've also used it on a handle tow. The handle placed behind my knee.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga