• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Resistance Pants

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
In my never ending search for leg support, I read today about resistance pants. They have resistance bands imbedded in the legs and add a new dimension to your walk, run, or leg exercises.

Has anyone tried these?

I purchased a pair of Sweetflex capris today:

Here's why I selected Sweetflex:

1. They look like regular yoga pants.

2. You can order the pants with 4, 6 or 8 bands in the leg. I went with 6 because I'm not sure if I have enough leg strength to benefit from 8.

3. Of the 3 brands I reviewed, Sweetflex is the only one that sells a capri length. Since I am height challenged, ankle length pants just don't work well for me.

4. They have pockets. I need pockets.

The other brands I looked at were Agogie and Skinnify (did I mention that they claim to aid in weight loss?)

I will provide a review in a couple of weeks.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Following so that I don’t miss your update!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I am also very curious to hear how these feel. Never heard of this concept before.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never heard of this concept before either, but am not in favor. Wearing multiple resistance bands on each leg will definitely stress the muscles, so it's logical they would also stress joints.

Edit: Above article summary says "Talk to your doctor first before you buy wearable weights, especially if you have back, joint, or balance problems. ".

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I realize I sound like a Delilah Downer. OK, let me backpedal my response. I'll ask my physical therapist the next time I see him, what he thinks. If he think they're great for me, I'll give them a try.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I realize I sound like a Delilah Downer. OK, let me backpedal my response. I'll ask my physical therapist the next time I see him, what he thinks. If he think they're great for me, I'll give them a try.
Yes please

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I walked in my new pants yesterday. They did make it seem like my muscles were working harder. Today I will wear them to do my exercises.

At the suggestion of @VickiK I texted my physical therapist today to ask if he thought the pants could do any good, and even more importantly if they could do any harm. I will post his reply.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I will be interested in hearing what he say. Any PT I’ve done has always included resistance bands.

Mine as well. But I think the concern is that wearing them might have a different effect.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is a more thought out video review on these pants.

I'm totally in agreement this woman's review, and going beyond her conclusion, something tells me there is potential for risk involved. Maybe a physical therapist can weigh in on this, so I'm glad that you, @skibum4ever , asked your guy.

My position:
a. wearing uncomfortable clothing does not inspire me to workout [except for ski boots]
b. wearing clothing that impedes my movement might make me move less or move slower, thus expending less energy and fewer calories in the process
c. wearing clothing that compels me to work and push harder, to put more force into my movements, could cause unexpected injuries somewhere along the line

Thank you for bearing with me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga