• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Rear view mirror for skiing?

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I have seen a number of comments from skiers who are afraid of being hit from behind. I often wish I had eyes in the back of my head.

The other day I noticed a bike rider with a small rear view mirror attached to each side of his helmet. It got me thinking...

Would a single rear view mirror attached to the side of my helmet give me "eyes in the back of my head"? Or would it be too distracting? I have no doubt that it would look "dorky", but that's not the question. Would it help?

Has anyone tried this or seen anyone on the slopes using such a device?

Help, I'm about to buy one but need some affirmation... or not. :ski:

altagirl

Staff member
FWIW, I tried one on my road bike years ago and found it utterly useless. Too small, image shakes, and you need to focus on where you are going. Used once ...

Randi M.

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband rides an electric scooter and tried fitting his helmet with a mirror once. It didn’t work. I asked him why and he wrinkled his nose and said the mirror was too small. But I get the idea that there’s more than that, too.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I thought it might be distracting, and not provide adequate feedback. Too bad... I thought I was onto something, but it sounds like I would have just wasted my money.

Thanks.

Jilly

Staff member
FWIW, I tried one on my road bike years ago and found it utterly useless. Too small, image shakes, and you need to focus on where you are going. Used once ...

My thoughts too. Really couldn't see much.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On a bike you are only looking out for people in a very narrow corridor. Skiing though, you have potential hazards coming at you from pretty much 180 degrees, and I have even been hit by someone who came out from below and turned fast and far up hill. While I am super aware of who is above and below all the time, I also imagine a protective bubble around me, and it has kept me safe 100 plus days a year for 18 years, with the exception of 2 students that took me out hard.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga