• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Reality check: as a beginner, how good will I get eventually?

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started at the ripe age of 37. I have 2 left feet & the worse balance (I fall hiking downhill). One instructor told me I was hopeless. It took me forever to pass the intermediate stage. The best thing that happened to me was rockered skis cuz I had fun in soft stuff with little technique. I made it to "double diamond without style".
Stick to it. Yes you can make it

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I have been thinking about this through the evening:
So after 2 years I am still at the point of "turning with start snowplow end parallel" kinda level.
@Kissmark … I got back on skis in a similar situation as you in the 2020-21 winter. And last year (2022-23) I still had some really ineffective turning skills. I’ll tell you what I was doing in hindsight…Especially when turning right, I would basically fling my upper body uphill and pick up my inner ski to turn. Heads up - you have really CRAPPY balance if you do that.

I took a 2 hour lesson with a really great instructor. In the span of that lesson, she told me what I was doing wrong, gave me several mechanical things to anchor my body while skiing and really, my skiing has been so much better since, and I can also ski longer as a result of the better mechanics - so you know it’s better for my body.

I say all this as a consideration. Maybe investing a little in your growth is worth it? It will reap dividends over time. It’s so hard as a mom of littles to prioritize yourself, but maybe you can for some good results?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Now with work and kids, at most we can do is 3-5 ski days each year. So after 2 years I am still at the point of "turning with start snowplow end parallel" kinda level.
I am just wondering, given my age and the frequency we are going, will I ever each that point where I can do parallel and go down a green comfortably? how long would it take? or am I gonna stuck here for awhile?
The short answer is "yes, you can do it."

Paging @liquidfeet .

What region do you ski in most?

My friend learned when her kids started (ages 4 and 6) at our home hill, Massanutten in northern Virginia, where a long run for a beginner on the greens takes 5 minutes at most. They only went during the two holiday weekends. Took a few years, but she was able to ski easy blues by the time she and her kids joined me for a spring break trip out west. She took group lessons during that trip. The longer runs helped her improve.

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At the base of all good skiing is balance. Any exercise that improves moving balance will improve your skiing. Also, time spent doing warmup drills will also increase your ability to move up to parallel more quickly. Do stay on terrain where you are comfortable to do your drills.
PSIA offers some good beginner videos and drills On YouTube, if you cant afford a lesson. The best thing about a lesson is that you get FEEDBACK.

Lesson prices at resorts on the Big Two passes (ikon and Epic) are steep and that saddens me. Instructors at those resorts are being paid much better than before, but I worry that the lack of affordable instruction will kill the sport.

BTW where do you normally ski?

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BTW @Kissmark — I was a ski instructor for almost 20 years. I had a stroke and am now re-learning to ski. I am currently skiing like you—wedge to parallel. Giving up is the only failure you can’t come back from. See ya on the greens!

Last edited:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As everyone else has said - boots + lessons if you want to progress more quickly. I've been lucky to have a lot of days on skis but the wrong size boots for many years, and not a huge number of lessons particularly early on. You can progress that way - I got better in that I could ski more of the mountain, and I always had fun - but lessons will make things easier and more efficient - efficiency is a big thing if you're a bit older. I've had a lot more tuition over the past 3 or 4 years and it's been very helpful.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I only learned 13 years ago at age 40 and now I'm the one who loves it the most and gear our winter vacations around skiing. So much depends on equipment, snow conditions and your desire. One thing I'm grateful for is that my family embraces it too and youngest kiddo was a high school ski racer. As long as you're having fun, even as a beginner that's what it's all about. Try group lessons as that'll cut down on costs. (I posted on another thread about travel hacking---when you can save $$$$ on travel, you can justify lessons). Good luck and don't give up!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thank you for the advice and your friend's experience is very encouraging! Since this is only my 2nd season I just did season rental this time. Next year I will look for a pair of boots!

Now with work and kids, at most we can do is 3-5 ski days each year. So after 2 years I am still at the point of "turning with start snowplow end parallel" kinda level.
I am just wondering, given my age and the frequency we are going, will I ever each that point where I can do parallel and go down a green comfortably? how long would it take? or am I gonna stuck here for awhile?
@Kissmark, I am going to make some guesses about how your skiing life has been going. Let me know what I'm getting right and what I've gotten wrong.

--It sounds like your family started skiing two years ago. Your husband takes the kids out to ski and you spend your time on beginner terrain by yourself working on building confidence and getting rid of that snowplow. Maybe you spend time waiting for the family in the lodge as well.

--You've been out on skis 5 days so far in these two years. I don't know how much of each day you spent outside working on your turns during those days. You've been using rental gear and you've taken some (maybe two?) beginner lessons. Those lessons taught you to make wedge (snowplough) turns.

--You thought that by now you'd be skiing parallel. You are disappointed with your slow progress. You're wondering if you'll ever get to ski greens with confidence since you are starting to ski later in life. Many here, myself included, started late in life. I started at 53 and others have posted their age when they started. So YES, you definitely can improve. Age is not an issue. And you need to know that skiing parallel takes longer than 5 days of skiing for many skiers, no matter when they started.

--How close to accurate am I? Please correct what I've gotten wrong.

Several things can speed up your improvement from this point onward.

#1. Boots that fit properly are the most important requirement for steady improvement. Most recreational skiers out there (not the members on this forum) are in boots that are too big. If boots are loose in any dimension - length, width, height over the foot, cuff size, and so on, the skis won't do what your feet and lower legs tell them to do. Your turns will be difficult to control.

What constitutes good boot fit is not intuitive. To improve steadily without hitting dead ends, you'll need your own boots. Rental boots are notorious for not fitting. Buying on the internet or at a big box store may get you into boots on a budget, but those boots will probably not fit properly. Since you are a beginner you won't be able to tell if the fit is off. The solution is to work with a qualified bootfitter to select boots for you and adjust them to the anatomy of your feet.

Members here can give you tons of information on what to look for when you visit a bootfitter If you tell us where you are we may be able to recommend a particular bootfitter to go see. Who fits your boots matters. We may be able to help you find a bargain as well.

#2. Instruction that addresses your particular needs is the second most important factor for making steady improvement. Not all lessons are created equal. If you have had instruction for skiing in balance and with parallel skis, but that instruction did not help, you'll need to try a different instructor who can address your particular needs. A private lesson with an excellent instructor can work wonders. A private lesson doesn't have to be at an exorbitant price. You may be able to book a group lesson at a small ski area within driving distance during the week. Sometimes those weekday group lessons are taught by full time instructors with years of experience, and often the group lesson can end up having only one student. Such a lesson could get you getting parallel with better balance. It might be attainable at a bargain price. *Do not let your husband teach you. No-No-No! Do not go down that road.

#3. Deliberate practice, lots of it, is needed for real learning to happen. Change doesn't happen in a lesson itself. It happens when you do "homework" on snow by yourself. You'll need to practice what your instructor has taught you. You'll need to practice what you've been taught on easy terrain frequently and with regularity. More than 5 days per season may be needed.

You can do it! Skiing together is a great family activity in winter.

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
@Kissmark I looked back at your posts from last year when you had just joined. I see you started with snowboarding. How long did it take you to learn to snowboard? And how old were you when you learned?

Hi! I started when I was 25. It's quite interesting because it was right before grad school when I took a year off to live in Japan. My friends in Japan taught me to snowboard. That year I went quite a lot, I would say every other weekend during ski season, and in the end I was able to link my turns and do some carving etc. After that I did not go as frequent, so I never got really good at it.

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
This is my 6th year skiing, at age 44. And it is the first year where it didn't feel like I was starting over completely the first few times out. My first few years I maybe averaged 10-12 days a year. The last couple were closer to 20. Boot the fit made a huge and immediate difference in year 3. Lessons helped a lot. Learning to side slide was a game changer-- I could push myself more because I knew how to get out of (mild) trouble! But I still have REALLY HARD days where I just want to cry!
oh wow I just googled side slide/slip and it's so useful! thank you!

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
@Kissmark, I am going to make some guesses about how your skiing life has been going. Let me know what I'm getting right and what I've gotten wrong.

--It sounds like your family started skiing two years ago. Your husband takes the kids out to ski and you spend your time on beginner terrain by yourself working on building confidence and getting rid of that snowplow. Maybe you spend time waiting for the family in the lodge as well.

--You've been out on skis 5 days so far in these two years. I don't know how much of each day you spent outside working on your turns during those days. You've been using rental gear and you've taken some (maybe two?) beginner lessons. Those lessons taught you to make wedge (snowplough) turns.

--You thought that by now you'd be skiing parallel. You are disappointed with your slow progress. You're wondering if you'll ever get to ski greens with confidence since you are starting to ski later in life. Many here, myself included, started late in life. I started at 53 and others have posted their age when they started. So YES, you definitely can improve. Age is not an issue. And you need to know that skiing parallel takes longer than 5 days of skiing for many skiers, no matter when they started.

--How close to accurate am I? Please correct what I've gotten wrong.

Several things can speed up your improvement from this point onward.

#1. Boots that fit properly are the most important requirement for steady improvement. Most recreational skiers out there (not the members on this forum) are in boots that are too big. If boots are loose in any dimension - length, width, height over the foot, cuff size, and so on, the skis won't do what your feet and lower legs tell them to do. Your turns will be difficult to control.

What constitutes good boot fit is not intuitive. To improve steadily without hitting dead ends, you'll need your own boots. Rental boots are notorious for not fitting. Buying on the internet or at a big box store may get you into boots on a budget, but those boots will probably not fit properly. Since you are a beginner you won't be able to tell if the fit is off. The solution is to work with a qualified bootfitter to select boots for you and adjust them to the anatomy of your feet.

Members here can give you tons of information on what to look for when you visit a bootfitter If you tell us where you are we may be able to recommend a particular bootfitter to go see. Who fits your boots matters. We may be able to help you find a bargain as well.

#2. Instruction that addresses your particular needs is the second most important factor for making steady improvement. Not all lessons are created equal. If you have had instruction for skiing in balance and with parallel skis, but that instruction did not help, you'll need to try a different instructor who can address your particular needs. A private lesson with an excellent instructor can work wonders. A private lesson doesn't have to be at an exorbitant price. You may be able to book a group lesson at a small ski area within driving distance during the week. Sometimes those weekday group lessons are taught by full time instructors with years of experience, and often the group lesson can end up having only one student. Such a lesson could get you getting parallel with better balance. It might be attainable at a bargain price. *Do not let your husband teach you. No-No-No! Do not go down that road.

#3. Deliberate practice, lots of it, is needed for real learning to happen. Change doesn't happen in a lesson itself. It happens when you do "homework" on snow by yourself. You'll need to practice what your instructor has taught you. You'll need to practice what you've been taught on easy terrain frequently and with regularity. More than 5 days per season may be needed.

You can do it! Skiing together is a great family activity in winter.

OMG you are so good! lol
The only thing you guessed wrong is that my family started skiing 5 years ago when my oldest started taking ski lessons. For the first 3 years I just snowboarded though, and 2 years ago, I decided to try skiing. The rest, you are spot on and yes I've had exactly 2 group ski lessons so far!
Thank you for all the great advice!

Kissmark

Certified Ski Diva
Hi ladies,

Thank you so much for all of your replies and I've carefully read all of them!
The experiences and stories your shared, and your advice are all incredibly helpful to me. I'm sure I will be coming back to this thread to re-read your messages often.

This past weekend we went skiing again at a near by family-friendly mountain. This time my friend also came with us. She use to be a good skier, but she has not skied in several years due to an injure. This time she wanted to take it slow to get back into the sport, so she stayed on the beginner slope with me. She gave me lots of great advice and even took a video for me. I can definitely feel that I've made improvements this time, although it's still a long way to get to where I want to be.

Next time we go, hopefully in February, I plan to take a lesson, And as your recommended, get my own boots during the spring sale!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Next time we go, hopefully in February, I plan to take a lesson, And as your recommended, get my own boots during the spring sale!
That sounds perfect. Call ahead to book that lesson, and if you are going for a private lesson, be sure to get a seasoned experienced high level instructor. Ask for a Level III certified instructor. Pay extra if necessary. Yes, it matters.

DEFINITELY start a new thread here asking for advice on how to shop for boots before you go purchasing something. There's a lot to know about choosing boots and boot-fitters. Doing this properly is not intuitive, and the stakes are high. First, ski boots will never feel like snowboard boots. There is a way to get snug (aka tight) ski boots to feel comfortable. Choosing boots for comfort alone results in poor skiing because they are performance tools. The ski is an after-market attachment to the boot.

TheGreenOne

Angel Diva
Note I did take a few beginner lessons but private lessons are so expensive I can't do it too often. My husband usually stays with the kids and is busy teaching them that I am left by myself most of the day.

Thank you

You will get better! It's all just matter of time, and that timeline is unique to us all.

As Christy noted, I've had luck getting a "private" lesson when I sign up for group lessons. Very often, especially mid week, at resorts that do not cap ability level to only beginners and never-evers for group lessons—I've gotten assigned to instructors just on my own because of specifics of what I want to work on was above what other students needed. I think my last few group lessons were group but private. I just tip well so the instructor isn't missing out because it's just one person.

I'm comfortable on greens, can do some easy blues (and learned last season I can get myself out of ungroomed blues...oops) also switched from SB to skiing. Switching was due to a spine surgery, which I joked I'd crumble my knees(skiing) instead of putting my spine at risk and... voila! I did blow my knee.

I went back after my acl/mcl repair and went through the baby deer stage of skiing twice. Not fun but, I got out-of that.

You will get there too. Just go with your own pace and get as many days out on slope, as you can. Even bad weather days would give you exposure on how to handle different visibility and surface.

-

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been skiing for 11 years now and what I've learned that's helped me the most are clinics. I need the repetition of learning with a regular instructor. Last season I had a game changing instructor at Butternut for the women's clinic. This season she's moved on to Jiminy so I'll be taking a private from her one of these days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna