• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Random Musings on Last Day of (resort) Skiing

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At mid-day, spontaneously, we decided to head up to Brighton for last of of skiing (LDS) craziness. Random observations:

Plenty of weird outfits (and lack thereof).

Warm temps and mashed potato snow at 10,000. Actually, the steeper bowls were soft and a blast, the flatter stuff was crappy).

endofseason2009066.jpg

The requisite beach (spared everyone the beach attire, letting the youngsters show their stuff)

endofseason2009068-1-1.jpg

And cops with new toys, I guess on alert for drunk sliders? Bad outfits?

endofseason2009067.jpg

Bye bye 2009 season------it was a good one---didn't even count the days, not living by the numbers but by the memories......:thumbsup:

And, we heard (and saw the cops at) Solitude (which closed last week and apparently trying hard to outlaw local fun) had the sheriff posted at their entrances and was ticketing those hiking up/sliding down. Definitely not like the good ol days.

Kara79

Certified Ski Diva
I love the "beach" picture! Looks like you had a great day!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I had no idea that the police out there had snowcat-style cop cars. How bizarre.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had no idea that the police out there had snowcat-style cop cars. How bizarre.

That's what we were thinking....thus the picture. I have never seen this before, at first thought it was a joke (the downhill dummy race was coming up).

I think cops have too much money to spend on contraptions like this, just to nab a few drunks?

:noidea::noidea:

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting little cop car. Maybe the Sheriff's dept. used some of their "National Security" money to buy it. I could see it having some usefulness when avalanches happen on the Cottonwood Canyons roads (crawl over debris to get further up the canyon).
If Solitude is anything like Park City on closing day, there is plenty of drunken debauchery on the slopes to warrant close proximity to some law enforcement people. I mean, our lift supervisor told us about people trying to haul KEGS up the hill!!! In the last 3 weeks, Park City put up signs at each lift, making sure folks knew that consuming alcohol in the lift lines or on the lifts was prohibited. Nothing about drinking while skiing/riding, though... I did kid with some people about I couldn't let them on the lift because we didn't allow SUI/RUI. A few actually believed me!!!

altagirl

Staff member
Interesting little cop car. Maybe the Sheriff's dept. used some of their "National Security" money to buy it. I could see it having some usefulness when avalanches happen on the Cottonwood Canyons roads (crawl over debris to get further up the canyon).
If Solitude is anything like Park City on closing day, there is plenty of drunken debauchery on the slopes to warrant close proximity to some law enforcement people. I mean, our lift supervisor told us about people trying to haul KEGS up the hill!!! In the last 3 weeks, Park City put up signs at each lift, making sure folks knew that consuming alcohol in the lift lines or on the lifts was prohibited. Nothing about drinking while skiing/riding, though... I did kid with some people about I couldn't let them on the lift because we didn't allow SUI/RUI. A few actually believed me!!!

Back in the "good old days" (ha - like say 5 years ago) I remember watching the ski patrol hauling kegs to the party at the top of the mountain in a rescue sled. What amazes me more than anything is that I can't recall anyone actually getting hurt, despite the fact that the vast majority of skiers were extremely intoxicated by the time they were skiing down their last run.

I haven't been to a closing day in several years though - it coincides with the Sea Otter Classic MTB race...

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At PCMR, we were told there was a group of folks that were going to have a on-hill wake for Sean McConkey on closing day. We were told to not allow any "snow saucers" (those round plastic things to slide on) with anyone on the lifts. Sean's nickname was "Saucerboy", so they were planning on some sort of frivolity with them, like sliding down McConkey's on them. Saw a lot of people with climbing gear on them skiing up to my lift (supposedly the costume of the McConkey's folks), but no saucers.
We actually had 2 closing days - the original April 12 date, and the April 19 date after Corporate decided on April 9 at 5pm to stay open an extra week. Since most closing day activities had already been planned ahead, the traditional stuff was done on the 12th and the 19th just gave more time for just fun time.

I've waterskied with a can of beer before. It was something we did when we used to go to Lake Mead (when I lived in L.A.). Take a can, stuff it in your lifejacket cleavage, get up on your ski, take out the can, pop it open and drink as you watch the scenery go by...

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back in the "good old days" (ha - like say 5 years ago) I remember watching the ski patrol hauling kegs to the party at the top of the mountain in a rescue sled. What amazes me more than anything is that I can't recall anyone actually getting hurt, despite the fact that the vast majority of skiers were extremely intoxicated by the time they were skiing down their last run....

right! in 40 years of last days, I've seen lots of partying and silly antics, but don't remember anything remarkably bad, except the outfits or speedos. Thus, I'm wondering why the clamp downs this year. Is the reason to avoid injuries--and if so, where's the data to back up the cop action? I think it's due to the lawyers at the resorts---lawyers ruin everything fun.

Solitude had cop action---and it was closed, it was not the last day, to keep 'trespassers' from hiking up the runs.

At Brighton, it was hilarious, because the undercovers were so obvious by their lack of sliding skills. The cop-mobile was all shiny and new, likely a new 'toy'. What was interesting is that it was so mellow for the last day of skiing and the real fun parties/bbqs were out of bounds outside of the resort.

One employee story went like this: a lone 'boarder' (undercover) approached a group of boarders in the trees and said, 'hey, got some weed?' They split and left the cop in the dust (or snow).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga