• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Quick! What to see/do in Madison, WI for a day

alison wong

Angel Diva
Epic EMR software company campus tour

I suggest go to Verona, WI. Just outside of Madison, take a tour of Epic campus. It is a software company for EMR (electronic medical records).

Below is the YouTube video about Verona, at time 1:20, it covers Epic campus. It opens to public, self guided 10 am - 3 pm. Free of charge.

Discover Wisconsin: Verona Epic campus tour at time 1:20.

You'd think software company has boring decors, it is the total opposite. Campus has different buildings w/ different themes, e.g. Alice in Wonderland, Galaxy; classrooms have different themes, movie theme, song theme, sci fi theme etc. One building has an indoor slide, instead of taking stairs, you can use the slide.... also has a tree house, where meetings are held.

I have been to Epic 3 times for work related training. Visiting their buildings on campus is the thing to do. I promised you won't be disappointed.

Founder of Epic is Judy Faulkner, quite an interesting person. She has an eccentric personality (from what I heard). It was rare for women to major in math.,computer science during 1960's. Epic is a major player in EHR here in the U.S. now. Has expanded its growth to: Singapore (government public health systems use Epic), The Netherlands, Great Britain in the past 10 years. She refuses the company to go IPO, wants to keep it private so she can steer the course and have a say in how the company should run and focus.

Don't forget to get some cheese curds if you like that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Thanks for the suggestion! My DH actually has a cousin who works at Epic and I’ve seen their HQ about 7 years ago. You are correct they are a very unique software company.

Edit to add the cousin is out-of-town and somewhat incommunicado. Hence my quick question.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What ever you do, please have some frozen custard for me…….:yahoo:
and maybe a spotted cow....

@Ski Sine Fine What are your interests?
some quick thoughts.....
Many museums and gardens, and the lakes……
The Manona Terrace or the University of Wisconsin Memormial union Terrace
Frank Lloyd Wrights Taliesin Estate or House on the Rock.
Olbrich Botanical Gardens
Take a drive up to the Dells?

Paging @Backtoskiing91 and @Iwannaski

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva

some quick thoughts.....

I won’t have a car, so either taxi/rideshare or public transportation will have to do. I’ll be staying near the University of Wiscosin-Madison.

Prefer museums over gardens, architecture over gardens, anything over gardens. But if there’s nothing else, gardens will do. I like to take pictures of architecture and landscape.

What’s a spotted cow?

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny, I arrived in the Wisconsin Dell's today. Starting a week long bicycle tour tomorrow. Riding a loop that ends in back in the Dell's on Friday. Love The House on the Rock. You will be bombarded with amazing sights and sounds. The Infinity Room is unbelievable. Haven't been to the Taliesin Estate but have spent the night and biked around Spring Green. It's a charming town.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Oooooooh, husband and I are going next weekend.

Things to do with a free solo day.

You could rent a bike and ride around Lake Monona…
You could just go sit with a book for a few hours drinking beer (or not) at Memorial Union Terrace (on the UW campus) - and people watch while you’re at it.
You could go check out the State Capitol, which is really beautiful
There’s a lot of really good food in Madison
There’s a GORGEOUS nationally renowned theater company called American Players Theatre… you could zipcar out there and check out a play - but that’s 90 min of driving each way… probably less fun solo.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

some quick thoughts.....

If you get as far south as Racine you can look at the Hardy House that Frank Lloyd Wright designed. I lived there from age 3 to age 9! And my father worked at Johnson Wax which was a Frank Lloyd Wright building as well! Weird and useless information from my life!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I ended up taking a tour of the capitol then went to the Memorial Union Terrace. Both were excellent. I was impressed by the variety and beauty of the marble used in the capitol’s construction — Italian, German, French. Afterwards I had lunch listening to a band outside the capitol. Later in the day I met up with my DS and had ice cream at the Daily Scoop and did some people watching. Oh, and I had cheese curds beer-battered with Spotted Cow.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Perfect. Glad to hear it. We’ll be sitting on the terrace after a bike ride tomorrow!!! ;)

All WI 4th graders get to go and tour the Capitol and it’s really something. We also happen to be lucky enough to know our rep very well. It was spectacular to take kids who knew their rep to meet her at her “office”

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Perfect. Glad to hear it. We’ll be sitting on the terrace after a bike ride tomorrow!!! ;)

All WI 4th graders get to go and tour the Capitol and it’s really something. We also happen to be lucky enough to know our rep very well. It was spectacular to take kids who knew their rep to meet her at her “office”
Apparently the kids really enjoy themselves for the star fish and other fossils in the marbles and the ghost soldier in the house chamber, not to mention rubbing the badger’s nose outside the governor’s office.

Have fun with your bike ride!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna