• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Power of the mind !

snowsparkle2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got back from a great days skiing, and what for me is a really weird experience. For the last couple of weeks I've been skiing sooooo badly, it all started when I went out on a powder day, which i couldnt resist even though I was still recovering from a really bad bout of flu. That day I couldn't find my balance & i kept falling over & losing my skis etc etc. And since then I've completely lost my confidence & any ability i ever had to be able to ski has gone out the window!

So today - another powder day - snow 50cm and still coming down, and I still couldnt ski. Awful, I kept thinking, any minute now i'm gonna fall over & that kept going round in my head. So my OH said "well why not imagine instead that you're a brilliant skier & see yourself skiing down like a star". So I closed my eyes on the lift back up and imagined myself skiing down the run like my best ski mate does. And amazingly - it actually worked ! I skied the rest of the day like a real trouper - better than i've ever skied before. OH couldn't even keep up with me. Now how bizarre is that ???! I only hope I can do it again tomorrow :smile:

Christy

Angel Diva
Isn't it amazing how that works? Confidence and attitude are everything. Something that often works for me, when I'm skiing badly and dwelling on it and thus making it worse, is just deciding my next run to not think about anything but having fun. Voila I always ski better.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:clap: Living up to your screen name, snowsparkle2? :wink:
How bizarre is that, you ask? It's the perfect example of a technique called "visualization." And application of the principle of "the power of positive thinking!" How and why does it work? You're the proof! Our minds exert such an influence over us. You visualized what you wanted your skiing to be, and you made it happen.

There are competitive athletes who probably pay huge prices to coaches who try to help them attain this mind set. Congratulations on having done it all on your own!!
:yahoo:

snowsparkle2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I find it amazing though that just seeing something in your mind's eye can actually make it happen - seems too good to be true :becky: Gotta practice this visualisation if it's so important - odd that nobody's ever told me about it before.

Must confess that today's visualisation didn't go quite as well :( . The 'powder' has all warmed up in the sun and set into a solid mass of concrete. There were bodies lying all over the place, with people buried upside down with skis sticking up in the air - chaos partout !!!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
perfect! I'm going to try that if I ever get out again. Glad it got better for you, today not included!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga