• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

posterier knee pain

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a new one, for me, at least. So, I after a few runs today (which included less than stellar liftie buffering the blow of the chair into the back of my legs...), I got off the lift and immediately noticed the back of my knee hurting like I had hyperextended it or something, which was particularly curious because I hadn't even lost control or anything in the earlier runs. So, nothing even mildly resembling traumatic happened, but it is, of course, the knee that I've had the ACL repaired with a hamstring graft.

What I did notice earlier is that my ankle in the leg had been cramping up just by being in the boot. Soon I'll take off the tights, contort myself and see if there's any bruising there....this'll be fun.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
How are you feeling? Any bruising? Worried, as I'm mom to a 2-knee acl surgery son. Did you get ice on it right away? Could never hurt. HOPE this is just a bruise from the chairlift debacle and nothing worse!! Keep us posted...

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bakers Cyst? This sometimes happens with use of a knee that has been previously injured, the knee overlubricates itself and the excess causes pressure back of knee. I have had one for ummm 10 years maybe more. The best I can say besides RICE, is that sometimes I will trick it into thinking it's more stable by wearing a simple lycra knee brace, works. I also did something with my running shoes that helped alot.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I didn't see any bruising, but I sat around in the office yesterday with an ice pack under the knee and took ibuprofin to reduce swelling and pain, especially since I noticed I was favoring the leg....which caused overuse on my other leg. Anyway, it's feeling much better today - much less pain (it's probably more like soreness), and I'm optimistic, esp. after speaking with a friend who is in the know about these things. :smile: Yay.

It was just so weird...

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
How'd I miss this thread?????

Hope you're doing better by now. If not, maybe you should see a doctor. After all, it's ski season -- I wouldn't mess around!

How'd I miss this thread?????

Hope you're doing better by now. If not, maybe you should see a doctor. After all, it's ski season -- I wouldn't mess around!

Ditto! I don't mess around with health things.....you gotta get a doc's opinion....however....don't take it as the END ALL BE ALL FOR WHAT IS GOING ON!!! :nono:

(I only trust docs SO much! Some can be a little loco! :loco: )

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
(I only trust docs SO much! Some can be a little loco! :loco: )

Lol. Thanks for the concern. :smile: I'm pretty sure it was a muscle strain, after my consultation with an MD pal, mostly because the other options were way too freakish. Anyway - I'm feeling back to 100% and am going for a run in an hour (we get out early from work today -- woot!).

robynb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bakers Cyst? This sometimes happens with use of a knee that has been previously injured, the knee overlubricates itself and the excess causes pressure back of knee. I have had one for ummm 10 years maybe more. The best I can say besides RICE, is that sometimes I will trick it into thinking it's more stable by wearing a simple lycra knee brace, works. I also did something with my running shoes that helped alot.

Yep, have a baker's cyst too. Weird thing with my knee. Had been tricky for years and finally gave out on me when I was running one evening. Completely fell on my face. Pretty embarrassing. Ended up in rehab for 3 months and found out I had an old tear in one of the ligaments that had healed on its own. Been compensating with my hamstrings since and had absolutely no strength in my left quad when they measured it. Luckily, pt fixed it me up with no surgery necessary. Amazing I could ski at all.
Would love to know what you did with your running shoes that helped. I can't seem to get mine right.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, have a baker's cyst too. Weird thing with my knee. Had been tricky for years and finally gave out on me when I was running one evening. Completely fell on my face. Pretty embarrassing. Ended up in rehab for 3 months and found out I had an old tear in one of the ligaments that had healed on its own. Been compensating with my hamstrings since and had absolutely no strength in my left quad when they measured it. Luckily, pt fixed it me up with no surgery necessary. Amazing I could ski at all.
Would love to know what you did with your running shoes that helped. I can't seem to get mine right.

Oops, I missed this last month. I have had this thing for almost 20 years now and w/o going into great deal had reached a level of frustration and researched a bunch of crap. Anyway, two things have helped significantly, one, the cheap rubber drug store brace, I will run in it to prevent swelling, it actually tricks the knee into thinking it's more stable and then it produces less fluid. I just wasn't getting answers or relief so I researched alot which kept leading to heelstriking, which I didn't use to do, but the next few times I ran I was really surprised because I was heel striking. Anyway, evidentially within the past 5-10 years or so most of the shock absorbtion has been taken out of the front of running shoes and alot of focus has been put into beefing up and really making the heels super comfortable and absorbtive. Evidentially this causes people with joint problems to heelstrike. So....I did alot of research and found a handful of shoes that had equal padding under the ball of the foot and heel of the foot and went on a day long misson to acquire a pair. It took a few days of concetration, but I no longer heel strike and I had about 3 really good strong pain free, swell free months on my knee. And then it snowed. I will look tomorrow and PM you with what my shoes are and see if I have the list or can send you some links. I would have never guessed, but there was a ton of info out there. Trainers evidentially called BS when they first started manufacturing shoes this way and have been following it for years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga