• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Poll- Northeast Ladies- I need your input!

How do you feel about educating yourself for backcountry skiing safety?

• I have zero interest in backcountry skiing or touring

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I am interested in backcountry skiing or touring, but wouldn't be interested in a women's only intro

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I am interested in backcountry skiing/touring and a women's only intro course.

• I would be more likely to take a intro backcountry skiing/touring course if there was a women's only

• I don't care about the gender of course participants, but I would take the course to support SheJump

• Total voters

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Ladies only backcountry education is becoming a thing, but we don't really have a lot happening in that department here in the Northeast. In the Daks, the first weekend of March, there is a Backcountry Ski Fest.

I would LOVE to see one of the clinics be an introduction to backcountry skiing for women only. But maybe that's just me. So I would love to get some input from women in the northeast about how interested you are in getting into backcountry terrain/ski touring and if you would be more or less likely to do a clinic if it was women's only.

Also, I'd love to do the clinic as an event for SheJumps, so if you would be more likely to take the clinic to help them out, let me know that too!

I would like to get into backcountry/touring a little bit but slowly and with someone who knows what they are doing so they can show me. I'd love a women's only clinic. I am not sure what SheJumps is but I'd be willing to do what I could.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The problem that I am having with this question is that it seems to downplay the importance of backcountry education, which is designed to save lives and can be the difference between coming back home after enjoying a day out in the wilderness and not, and turn it again into a gender issue. Ladies, if you are interested in backcountry skiing/touring then get yourself educated and do whatever course is available to you in your area. It's your own participation that matters, not who else is participating with you. The only real segregation in backcountry is not gender-based, but between people who know what they are doing and those who don't, so learn any way you can. It takes time, so no point wasting it on waiting for some gender-specific courses if you can already start learning. It's too important, so don't let your focus shift away from it to things that are secondary at best.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I love that you are taking the time for the poll @climbingbetty - I will be interested to view the results! I could easily check a couple options, but sigh, will need to choose just one.

As I see it, there are women who may be interested in trying backcountry, and want to get themselves educated, but feel intimidated in a co-ed class; as a result they may not get educated and then never venture into the backcountry. Women's only courses, whether it's a ski lesson/clinic or a fitness class, are offered for a reason. If a women's course allows some women to venture where they may not otherwise, it's all good as far as I am concerned.

SheJumps is an organization with the mission to help women/girls participate in more outdoor/adventure activities:
https://www.shejumps.org

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a difference though between ski courses and backcountry safety education. While the purpose of ski courses is to get more participants in the sport by making this sport more accessible and enjoyable, and women are a large potential market, nobody really wants to get more participants in backcountry skiing. Maybe gear manufacturers will do these sort of things on a time-to-time basis around the world or maybe NA because they can sell more gear and it's good for their image and good for the safety, but generally they will get enough attendance even if the course is not gender-specific, backcountry education is valuable enough that most who ski backcountry we'll take it in any form when they can. Also manufacturers are just selling products, they don't care if their backcountry products will never see backcountry. Resorts are interested in increasing safety - they are the ones who often retrieve bodies, but not in increasing participation by anyone especially if some conditions are met. There is a demand for safety education but the capacity to meet it is limited too so it's good enough in most cases when quality avalanche awareness and safety courses are provided on a regular basis without segregation by sexes.

Lmk92

Angel Diva
This sounds interesting to me, too. It's definitely something I don't know much about, but as my ski fever worsens, I'm open to more and more experiences. I do like the idea of women's only, but a mixed group wouldn't really be a negative for me.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I expect SheJumps may be interested in women participating in pretty much anything they set their sights on. Who cares if more women participate? The women that are interested, organizations that support women just because, and yes of course, the gear manufacturers.

When I read the original post it was about an introduction to backcountry skiing - to me that is a what is it, what training you need to take, what gear is required so you can understand the financial investment, and the such. After an introduction to the sport, if you want to participate, you then take the safety/avi courses. The title of the poll is "...educating yourself for backcountry safety" which does indicate a different course than I responded to. Since I read the post first, I ran with the spirit of the text rather than the title of the poll.

I would personally love to attend an introduction to backcountry skiing, even if my aspirations currently stop at backside skiing at a New England resort. If there is one that supports SheJumps, even better. I think I may have to go buy that SheJumps Skida hat now...just because.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
@lisamamot thanks for reading the post exactly- you got it!

The Backcountry Ski Fest is a weekend event. On Saturday there are demos of all kinds of backcountry-specific gear and on both days there clinics that go out. The clinics are lead by certified ski guides. There is a beginner and intermediate clinic each day. There is also usually some sort of avy refresher course offered, a beacon park, etc. In years past, they have offered AIARE1 during the weekend, but I didn't see it on the list of clinics last year.

FWIW, Lyndsey Dyer IS running a women's only AIARE1 course in Idaho this season, January I believe. There are some popping up. I do think a women's only format is appealing to some women; it may be the the thing that finally gets them to take an AIARE1 course if they have been on the fence. Especially since a lot of times these become the center of a whole retreat- yoga in the morning, then AIARE1 course information, then skills practicum later.

But I digress. This clinic would be an introduction; an initial ski tour for a woman who has been skiing at the resort and is a fairly competent skier, is interested in getting in the backcountry, but is either intimidated by it or doesn't know anyone else to go with. Before making the substantial invest in gear, or in an avy course, she's like to try it out and see if its enjoyable, potentially meet some new partners who are interested in touring as well. It might also be for a woman like myself who has taken AIARE1 but hasn't gotten a lot of opportunity to put that information to use and so is still a little hesitant to get out in the backcountry as much she'd like.

There is a lot to learn when backcountry skiing. Avy safety is a huge part of it, but it is still just a part. What to pack, how to pack, how to layer for movement, how to skin efficiently, how to read a map & plan tour, how to make sure you're beacon is on and working correctly, how to move in a group, how to ski narrow, tree lined trails- all of that stuff could be covered in a one day tour, giving a valuable insight into the experience of backcountry skiing. If the participant enjoyed and wanted to learn more, it would be emphasized that AIARE1 would be the next step. If a participant however, found it wasn't really for them, well they still got a super fun day of skiing with the girls, has a new experience and grew a little.

By the way, for ladies who are interested- I contacted a really awesome IFMGA guide (she hold the highest level certifications to guide rock, alpine and ski) about this and she is stoked on the idea! So stay tuned! We still have a lot of hurdles to overcome to get this clinic going, but I will be post updates here as it is hopefully coming together so you can get in on the fun!

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I think you need to add an option: "already pretty experienced and don't need a clinic." That might tell you if such a clinic is even necessary.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I think you need to add an option: "already pretty experienced and don't need a clinic." That might tell you if such a clinic is even necessary.

Yes, its not the most scientific poll ever, but I'm working off the premise that I still see 10 guys to every one gal, on the trails, in the rags, and on the forums. So either the ladies aren't talking about it that much or they aren't there. Or both. Also, if a gal doesn't need a clinic, then she's not really the demographic I'm trying to reach with this course. My goal is to have something I could show the organizers of the fest where I could say, "hey look at this, there are women interested in this. Field of dreams- if you build it they will come."

Maybe I'm interpreting the some of the posts here wrong (easy to do with internet forums, admittedly) but what is with the resistance to women's only backcountry ski trips or avy education? I mean, are we not on a ski forum that is only for women? Is skiing such a different experience for men and women that we need a whole separate forum? Couldn't we all talk about the stuff we talk about here on Epic Ski or TGR??

In theory we could, but we have all chosen to be here over those options. Why?

If you loved skiing and were interested enough, you probably would hang out on Epic Ski or TGR. But one bad experience with a troll might put someone off. There was the other thread where a woman described a bad experience with a dad that showed up for a mommy & me ski clinic that was all women and how it changed that dynamic. Not for the positive.

Should a lady put off getting educated about safety in the backcountry just because there aren't women's only AIARE courses? Heck no. But my goal here is to anchorage more women to try it and be more well represented in backcountry skiing. I think one way to do that is through women's only courses. Less intimidation. Less trolls. It has the same appeal for the same reasons as a women's only ski forum, no???

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm going to do an AIARE 1 course this season, but honestly I just don't really feel the need or want to make sure it's a women's only course. In real situations when I'm likely to start venturing into the back country I know my group will have both genders, so actually I'd probably rather have that dynamic from the get go.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
@climbingbetty - I love the idea that on a women's only forum you are thinking about women's only opportunities. If there is demand to make this happen, and you can help with supply, it's all good.

I would jump at the chance to take a women's only intro to backcountry skiing. I love hanging out with women, and learning their stories inspires me to get out of my comfort zone and try new things. Once I was past an intro and hooked on the idea, a women's only AIARE course would not be a preference of mine. @MissySki has a good point - in most situations I expect I would be in mixed gender group for trips, and that is the group I should be comfortable with.

That said, once I was hooked and trained, I would absolutely be on board to go on a women's backcountry trip :thumb:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga