• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Pitch on Typical NASTAR Course

BitchHound

Certified Ski Diva
I am not overly familiar with most NASTAR courses (tried one at Taos). What is the typical pitch for a GS type layout (blue, black, etc.)? We do recreational racing at Taos, but not on the NASTAR course. Thanks.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I believe the NASTAR program suggests that all public races are held on a blue run to encourage participation from a wider range of ages and abilities. What the pitch is varies, though, as a blue run is only classified within that particular resort and not between resorts. Our course is super flat and very short although it is on a blue when compared to the greens at our resort. I've also raced at places like Steamboat and Beaver Creek where their "blue" race sets were more like our blacks and that scared the bejeezus out of me.

Our league night, which is timed using the NASTAR software and posted to their website, is a closed (private) race so we have 2 nights on our hardest hills (blacks) and one night of downhill/super G while the rest of our nights are spent on our usual NASTAR hill.

BitchHound

Certified Ski Diva
I believe the NASTAR program suggests that all public races are held on a blue run to encourage participation from a wider range of ages and abilities. What the pitch is varies, though, as a blue run is only classified within that particular resort and not between resorts. Our course is super flat and very short although it is on a blue when compared to the greens at our resort. I've also raced at places like Steamboat and Beaver Creek where their "blue" race sets were more like our blacks and that scared the bejeezus out of me.

Our league night, which is timed using the NASTAR software and posted to their website, is a closed (private) race so we have 2 nights on our hardest hills (blacks) and one night of downhill/super G while the rest of our nights are spent on our usual NASTAR hill.

Interesting. That sounds a bit closer to what our corporate cup races are like. The NASTAR course at Taos is extremely flat. We race there on a solid Taos blue. Both Red River (solid blue) and Santa Fe (blue/black) are good courses as well. Angel Fire course is weak (blue/green at best). Everything is setup GS with the Taos course exceeding 20 gates I think. Thanks for the response.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check the NASTAR website FAQ section for some really interesting info on "what a NASTAR course should look like". Really intriguing is the part about straight-running the course in a certain amount of time. Cool.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna