• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Pink all mountain skis for aggressive 8yo girl

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas, My daughter is very attached to her outgrown Luv Bugs (pink and orange with panda bears on them who have been named Rose and Lemon). She is a pretty solid skier skiing mostly blacks and comfortable on double blacks at Winter Park and Steamboat. She’s super tall and is in the middle of 130s/ 136s size wise. She struggles in powder (only weighs 70 pounds). I’d like to try her on something a little wider and burlier than the love bugs. I am so not a gear head. Any suggestions? Especially pink or with animals on them (I have promised she can sticker them if we don’t find graphics she likes.)

I can find her old skis on clearance online- but I think they are more groomer skis. How much does this matter with kids?

We ski mostly at Mary Jane - so bumps and trees. Honestly she does rock those s!

Thanks!

mustski

Angel Diva
Hi. It seems a bit of a conundrum because she is an advanced skier but you are not looking for race skis. I went through this with my son because most junior skis are for beginner to intermediate skiers and yet he still needed a shorter length ski than was offered in adult skis. I wish I could help, but I don't know much about it anymore. If you are looking for something burlier, you might want to take a look at Volkl's junior offering. They are a burlier ski than most and the Mantra Jr has an 86 waist which should provide a wider platform for powder. I would let go of the need for pink and/or girly graphics. I hate to say it but most of the girly skis in the kids/jr sizes aren't going to be enough ski for you daughter, unless you are looking at race skis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My daughter was 11 by the time she was tall enough for 130-140 skis. She was an advanced skier thanks to Alta Ski School (Level 7/8 of 9). The 130cm skis were Roxy and 70 underfoot. Next pair were Rossi Fun Girl @140, which seem to be 67 underfoot. I bought both pairs used so didn't really do that much research. She didn't have any issues skiing in anywhere off-piste at Alta, including a powder day or two.

My daughter didn't have much choice when it came to colors for her ski boots or skis. Living in the southeast, if I found something at a good price that fit then that's what we bought. I let her apply her fashion sense to jackets and ski pants though.

By the way, DPS has come out with junior models. The DPS Wailer Grom 87 comes in 148 and 158 lengths. Maybe look for a used pair in a few years? :smile:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Check out J Skis - The Max. Comes in 140 length and has a 90mm waist width. The graphics are fun, but unfortunately not very girly. They do have little robot guys or something though. I think she’ll be able to really have fun on these skis and get a number of years of use out of them.

I ski the adult model (The Whipit) and have a lot of fun on them in mixed Vermont conditions... they do great going through crud and chopped up snow as well as a couple inches of powder.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks ladies! Her dad is 6’5” - and she is the tallest kid in her class- so luckily big for an 8yo!

136s are the edge of what I think she should be on- and ideally twin tips to make them ski a little shorter. 130s look a little small.

A friend has some outgrown Volkl Gotamas she thinks are the right size- so we will probably try them

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks ladies! Her dad is 6’5” - and she is the tallest kid in her class- so luckily big for an 8yo!

136s are the edge of what I think she should be on- and ideally twin tips to make them ski a little shorter. 130s look a little small.

A friend has some outgrown Volkl Gotamas she thinks are the right size- so we will probably try them
By the time I was buying used skis for my daughter instead of doing a season rental, I always bought them long. Meaning at her forehead. She was a strong enough skier as a tween to adjust in less than a day during early season. Since we would spend a few days at our home mountain the week before Christmas, including a day or two of ski school, she was all set by the time there was more terrain open in January. Her growth curve meant she could use skis for two seasons as a tween.

mustski

Angel Diva
By the time I was buying used skis for my daughter instead of doing a season rental, I always bought them long. ...Her growth curve meant she could use skis for two seasons as a tween.
We did the same and we bought recreational fit on ski boots so they would last 2 seasons.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We did the same and we bought recreational fit on ski boots so they would last 2 seasons.
Our local boot fitter knew exactly how to fit boots for a growing kid. So I didn't have to put any thought into that process. She wasn't keen on the color of the first pair of new boots but that was touch.

Her first non-rental boots were from a ski swap. Had to drive two states away but we could stay with a friend that weekend. I made sure we arrived 30 min before the sale started and got lucky. We got appropriate boots, skis, and poles for $185. Got $50 in trade from our local ski shop when she was done with them, mostly because the skis were in good shape. Volkl Tiger Shark Jr, 120cm, 86-66-102, radius 3.7, with integrated Marker bindings.

Still paying some attention to gear for tweens because of my friend with two kids. We've managed to find used gear for her son who is an advanced skier at this point at age 11. Did a season rental for his little sister for the first time last season. The kids rented during the spring break trip to Alta. Although the boy had trouble finding a decent fit for boots. He doesn't quite ski enough to justify buying boots for a little while longer though.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By the time I was buying used skis for my daughter instead of doing a season rental, I always bought them long. Meaning at her forehead. She was a strong enough skier as a tween to adjust in less than a day during early season. Since we would spend a few days at our home mountain the week before Christmas, including a day or two of ski school, she was all set by the time there was more terrain open in January. Her growth curve meant she could use skis for two seasons as a tween.

I’m curious what your experience with ski school was at that age. Did you do group lessons? The last two years we’ve done a 5 week program (every Sunday same instructor, same kids) but my daughter and her 9yo friend have been in the highest group and placed with a lot of 14yos. She isn’t too keen on doing it again. It seems the other more advanced younger kids do the 15 week comp center program- but I don’t want to make that commitment or lose that much time with her- since I work during the week. I would only get one day with her and she would be exhausted.

If you do daily drop in are there other kids their ability and age? I’m curious about Alta since we have IKON passes so might head over there (last time she was there she was 11mo old and we traded off in the lodge as it was a massive powder day.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m curious what your experience with ski school was at that age. Did you do group lessons? The last two years we’ve done a 5 week program (every Sunday same instructor, same kids) but my daughter and her 9yo friend have been in the highest group and placed with a lot of 14yos. She isn’t too keen on doing it again. It seems the other more advanced younger kids do the 15 week comp center program- but I don’t want to make that commitment or lose that much time with her- since I work during the week. I would only get one day with her and she would be exhausted.

If you do daily drop in are there other kids their ability and age? I’m curious about Alta since we have IKON passes so might head over there (last time she was there she was 11mo old and we traded off in the lodge as it was a massive powder day.)
Our situation is quite different than at big mountains. Massanutten is a tiny hill in northern VA but has a very strong ski school. The full day ski school is from 9:30-2:30 for ages 4-12, but few kids do ski school after age 9 or 10. Many parents (or grandparents) don't ski. My daughter is very social, so group lessons worked well. After age 7, I would have my daughter do a 90-min clinic once or twice for adv. beginners/intermediates at the beginning of the season. Just enough to keep her from developing bad habits. Did the same for my friend JF's son who was skiing Mid-Atlantic blacks by age 8 (third season), partially because he played ice hockey since age 4.

There was one season when my daughter had a ski buddy her age and same ability level. That winter I didn't bother with ski school as much because the girls had more fun just skiing together. They were nine. One advantage of a small mountain is that it's perfectly fine for tweens who are intermediates to ski a friend and without a parent. The other mom was a non-skier who stayed in the lodge all day and was very happy her daughter had a ski buddy. They lived an hour from Massanutten. My daughter and I did ski weekends (4 hour drive away). Unfortunately, they moved away after that season.

As for Alta ski school, it's wonderful for kids and adults. JF's daughter was not keen on Massanutten ski school at all. (Her brother loved Mnut ski school.) After the girl's first experience at Alta in 2017, she had to admit to me that Alta ski instructors are wonderful. That family only skis a couple long weekends a season. The boy was Level 7 (of 9) in April 2018 and his younger sister became a solid Level 6. Meant my ski buddy Bill and I had a good time taking them over to Snowbird one day.

Back when my daughter was a tween, we made friends at Alta Lodge with a family who were from DC. Three different kids, three different personalities but all loved Alta ski school and learned a great deal. The brother and sister are both competitive ice hockey players so only ski one week a season during at stay at Alta for spring break. All three kids were Level 7 by age 11. The boy pushed into Level 8 when he was 11 and my daughter was Level 8 when she was 12.

A relatively unusual aspect of the Alta Ski School is that no reservations are required or possible. They always have enough very experienced instructors on hand. That means a parent can make a last minute decision based on how the kid(s) feel and snow conditions. Does pay to arrive towards the beginning of the check-in time to do the registration process. Especially on a powder day when more parents are dropping off kids before going skiing themselves. The age range only goes up to 12, so no worries about having teens in with tweens.

Note that my Alta Ski School experience is during late season, meaning late March or April.

marzNC

Angel Diva

The recommendation I got from someone I know who is a Volkl rep was the Mantra Jr. Looks like it's 86 underfoot, full rocker, and available in 118, 128, 138. He's a parent of a racer in the northeast, as well as a L3 instructor. Took his son out west several times before high school.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Moonrocket

The Gotamas would be an awesome ski! DD had those are around that age.

The answer would be the Volkl Pyra they are either pink or purple or have animal print in the prior years. Similar to the Mantra @mustski mentioned which is the newer version - similar, but not symmetrical. The Pyra's last year was 16/17 They are great in the trees, groomers, park and anywhere on the mountain. REI has the 138 for $120 (model from 2 seasons ago) Just buy them ;)

Oh and as far as that dilemma about lessons/ groups and having them be paired with older kids b/c ability wise they match? I had same dilemma and yes, then you do end up in the more committed program b/c that is probably the best match. Doesn't mean you have to go every weekend.....or be on the full time team..... or buy a condo.....or home school or ..... :rotf:

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The recommendation I got from someone I know who is a Volkl rep was the Mantra Jr. Looks like it's 86 underfoot, full rocker, and available in 118, 128, 138. He's a parent of a racer in the northeast, as well as a L3 instructor. Took his son out west several times before high school.

We are getting her a pair of the Mantra Jrs. Last year’s version and will let her cover them with stickers.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna