• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Peter Lougheed Provincial Park

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
While Banff and Lake Louise get all the attention here in the Canadian Rockies, our favourite summer place to retreat to is the mountains just south of the big national parks, in an amazing area called Kananaskis Country. K-Country has many provincial parks and almost none of the crowds that the parks do in the summer. A new graduate student of mine arrived from Italy last week, so my darling SO, 2 friends of ours and I decided to take him to the mountains for a short hike. We decided to go to Ptarmigan cirque, a lovely glacial cirque in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park to do a relatively easy hike to the cirque and then a short scramble up the back of the cirque, between Mts. Rae and Arethusa. The weather was amazing, and the views incredible! Because you start from a high pass, most of the hike is in the alpine. It only takes about 200 m in elevation before you break through the treeline, and then it's glorious views in all directions for the rest of the hike and scramble.

IMG_2607.JPG
This is from the beginning of the hike - we started by the road, which is right next to the long horizontal light green stripe in the middle/right of the photo.

IMG_2613.JPG
The views start to open up once the trees begin to thin!

IMG_2621.JPG
Here we've gotten up to the meadows and have begun our hike towards the back of the cirque. Me and SO on the left, our friends on the right.

IMG_2673.JPG
We arrive at the beautiful waterfall in the back of the cirque. We eventually scrambled up to the top of the waterfalls and a headed towards the saddle in the middle of the photo.

IMG_2633.JPG
SO and my grad student enjoying the view from the scree fields above the waterfalls.

IMG_2661.JPG
A panorama of the cirque on our way out.

That is by far the most beautiful scenery. I really think I need to move to the Canadian Rockies. I'm mobile, I can work anywhere. Such pretty pictures....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna