• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: pain in shin - first hour of skiing

helsbels

Diva in Training
Hi all,
I'm a relative beginner (picking it up from childhood some 20 years later) and I'm experiencing really sharp pain from the front of my ankle up my shin. It happens for the first hour of skiing, and I have to rest quite alot and take my boots off, then it seems to get a bit better. Its making me dread the mornings when I really want to get out there!:confused:
Any ideas on what this is, and how I could avoid this in the future?
Thanks

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Most often caused by imprecise fit at heel pocket/ankle/boot cuff. Ski shop boot fitter would be able to quickly assess. When you flex your ankle in a ski boot, if the fit isn't close enough, your ankle will move, and subsequently your lower leg, independent of the boot. Bang, ow. It's supposed to all work together, when the "stars are aligned." Get it checked out asap, for your own comfort. Hoping that your boots aren't too large, but kind of sounding like it. Good luck.

Suzanneski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
X2- my boots have a heel lift adjustment- ramping up the heel made a big difference for me and stoppped this pain.

helsbels

Diva in Training
Thanks to you both, I thought they were pretty tight, but perhaps I need a little tighter. I have rather large calf muscles in relation to the size of my feet, so I'll go in and explain. I'm glad its not just me and that there is something I can do. I'm ensuring I'm stretching well too to make sure its not an ache from muscle use in the morning.
I live in the UK and I'm skiing in France so I'll get my French dictionary out now to explain that!
Thanks again, much appreciated.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Calf may not necessarily need to be tighter. Problem could well be right at the heel/ankle. That's where your problem seems to be originating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna