• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: P90X

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone tried this? I was talking to one of my friends at work today. We are both in our mid 50s and he has been an aggressive skier since he was very young and has dealt with knee issues for a long time. He started this execise regime about 6 months ago and this has been the first season in a long time that he has skied pain free.

I know there is no silver bullet but am curious about this...especially if you have integrated it into a gym workout. I am really focused on building my quads after surgery and at my age that doesn't come easy :(

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My 42 year old neighbor has been doing this for 9 weeks. He said it relies on muscle confusion like Boot Camp training. He takes a lot of good-natured ribbing from his friends about it, but has remained faithful to the program.

He's a strong, well-built guy anyway, but he has resisted putting on his Speedo to show off the six pack yet.

mountainxtc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
so many people here are hooked and it and say it really does work like nothing else. and they are all ripped!! you just need to have the mental willpower to stick to it, it's hard!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I spoke with my friend today. He says that he believes it really helped his skiing this year. He credits the jumping and lunging in the program for explosive edge to edge moves on skis. He says that he only missed 4 days out of the 70 days he has been doing the P90X program. He lost 6-7 pounds, but he says that he did not follow the diet that goes along with the P90X. He believes that he lost fat and gained muscle mass. He recommends it to women as well as men.

If you have any specific questions, ask me and I'll pass along his answers.

Jilly

Staff member
This came up in chair conversation yesterday. Our downstair neighbour has just started it. And he said many of the same things as 2ski2morrow's friend. Finds is great, offered me the video. Ah, I'll stick with the Y for now!

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The biggest reason P90x works is the diet, not the exercise part.

I think the program is okay as it is balanced in terms of muscles worked (unlike most boot camps), but I have spoken to a lot of other strength coaches and physical therapists who dislike it because they have seen high overuse injury rates from it, which is also common from boot camps.

Elsbeth

BlueBomb

Diva in Training
The biggest reason P90x works is the diet, not the exercise part.

I think the program is okay as it is balanced in terms of muscles worked (unlike most boot camps), but I have spoken to a lot of other strength coaches and physical therapists who dislike it because they have seen high overuse injury rates from it, which is also common from boot camps.

Elsbeth
Well, I bought my copy last September, I work half time at the Calgary Fire Department Hazmat office, so the guys were embarking on this program, as they get to work out as part of their job. So, I had just come off of old lady soccer season and a 2/3 marathon clinic (which defeated me at 28 km) and decided to try the yoga. Well, it was so fast, and so hard, and I thought I was in pretty good shape at the time, but I couldn't move for a week after I did it. So, it sits in its pretty box on my dining room buffet beckoning me. I keep ignoring it and sign up for a chiseled class or 10 km clinic instead, to keep me in shape for skiing. At Christmas time, I went to my girl friends for a party, and she does the P90X faithfully with her boyfriend. She is ripped, but she always has been. Anyways, she told me that after doing it for a year, it is too easy now, but her girlfriend followed the diet and program, and did achieve that ripped look minus 30 lbs in six months. I looked at her and said, you can do those 1 armed pushups??? She told me, yep, no problem. I found it too hard, and that stopped my dedication. It is not like skiing, where you get to do more fun or tougher terrain as your reward, at 48 years old and two kids, I may get a six pack but it would still be wrinkly....ewww. Bluebomb

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Ouch!! ( the cost)

That puts what I am doing into perspective. DH and I have been taking functional fitness/ski conditioning at a local sports training/physical therapy facility. Our classes are taught by all CSCS/ NSCA certified trainers, overseen by PTs. The work we do is similar to the cross fit/boot camp etc routines, except it is supervised and modified as needed. It's heavy on plyometrics, balance, core, muscle confusion and but with professional supervision. That's the part I like: our trainer makes sure we've got correct form, or makes modifications as needed. If we have certain goals, she works with us on that to.
I was thinking our class was very reasonable, and now I am sure.

kanajb

Certified Ski Diva
The P90X program ranges from $120 - $400 depending on how many extras you want with it. I personally could not do this program, but have done the P90 program with success. Lost a lot of inches and about 15 pounds. I am starting the Rev Abs program as soon as it gets here!! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna