• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Osteoporosis and skiing

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
Everything I’ve been told is about preventing bone loss, but I believe it’s relevant anyway— lift weights. Get a trainer; build up your ability and lift as heavy as possible. Lifting heavy is incredibly good for skiing in many ways, and this is one of them. (I had never lifted anything before 2 years ago— last summer I worked my way up to a 200lb deadlift at age 40. It is very possible for anyone to start lifting at any age, I was certainly not an athlete.)

lehrski

Diva in Training
Groomers can do more damage due to high speed and wipe outs?
The high speed partially. Biggest risk is collisions, either with a solid object or another skier. I broke my collarbone when I was hit by a straight-lining teenage snowboarder. I was thrown up into the air and came down on my shoulder.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
The high speed partially. Biggest risk is collisions, either with a solid object or another skier. I broke my collarbone when I was hit by a straight-lining teenage snowboarder. I was thrown up into the air and came down on my shoulder.
Totally agree on the high speed crashes......That's the main thing I think about. . Actually I try to avoid fast groomers for that reason.

PollySid

Certified Ski Diva
For those of us who are older, what is the state of your bones? A recent scan at the age of 69 showed my bones to be a mix of normal, osteoporosis, and osteopenia. I have no intention of slowing down my skiing, but I already skip the moguls and the black diamonds and the trees at this point in my life.

I am probably about to start on meds, fosamax, but I am not sure...what are your thoughts about protecting bones, fracture risks, medications, etc for those of us who love the snow???:ski2:
Did you read my mind???? I took my first weekly tablet last nite. Alendronate Sodium. Dr said that even lifting 5lb weights will help build bone density.

PollySid

Certified Ski Diva
Everything I’ve been told is about preventing bone loss, but I believe it’s relevant anyway— lift weights. Get a trainer; build up your ability and lift as heavy as possible. Lifting heavy is incredibly good for skiing in many ways, and this is one of them. (I had never lifted anything before 2 years ago— last summer I worked my way up to a 200lb deadlift at age 40. It is very possible for anyone to start lifting at any age, I was certainly not an athlete.)
Super impressive.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Soon after I had my first bone density test, I researched approaches to building bone density. I put the most useful info into my blog for 50+ skiers. When I do weights, it doesn't take long. I worked with my personal trainer to determine the heaviest weight that made sense. I do 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps at the heaviest weight that I can do with good form for a few exercises. I prefer kettle bells, but can use other forms too.

First posted April 2016

First posted October 2018

My mother paid close attention and took calcium/VitD regularly after around age 75. She was not sporty, but kept taking short walks deliberately for exercise in her 80s. In her 90s, she got a hydraulic stepper to use in her apartment (independent retirement community). She did 100 steps a day quite regularly. Must have worked. She fell hard twice . . . on a hip, and didn't break any bones.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna