• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

One huge jump....one small step for womankind?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Liberec, Czech Republic » Lindsey Van of Park City nailed a perfect second jump to become the first women's ski jumping world champion Friday, almost exactly a year after a serious knee injury nearly ended her career.

Van was fourth after the first round but soared 97.5 meters through heavy snow in the second -- by far the longest of the competition -- to finish with 243 points and edge first-round leader Ulrike Graessler of Germany.

"I feel like I'm a pioneer in the sport now," said Van, who started jumping at 7 after a hill was built near her home in Park City. "I feel like I've been at the front of the sport for so many years. So at this point, it feels like I've kind of

Women's ski jumping is debuting at this year's Nordic skiing world championships, and the sport hopes to be part of the 2014 Sochi Olympics. It failed to win approval for next year's Vancouver Games despite lobbying from Van and other jumpers.

A small group is suing the Vancouver Organizing Committee in an attempt to get around the International Olympic Committee's decision. The lawsuit contends that excluding women from an event that men have been competing in since the first Winter Games violates Canadian law against gender discrimination. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Link to full story:

https://www.sltrib.com/wintersports/ci_11749001

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Cool! Ski jumping is constantly on TV here, and I've often wondered why I never see women jumping. They give equal time to women's alpine and nordic skiing...good to know it's now legitimate.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cool! Ski jumping is constantly on TV here, and I've often wondered why I never see women jumping. They give equal time to women's alpine and nordic skiing...good to know it's now legitimate.

except for 2010 Olympics, apparently.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I saw it too on TV ... I think its time women start with Skijumping.
Its none of my favorite sport but if they want to fly like an eagle why not?!:becky::becky:

Beli_Grrl

Certified Ski Diva
YES!

Hearing about more athletic opportunities for women makes me so happy! Thanks for sharing this story. What great news. :clap:

Squaw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great news. Exciting to hear of a moment like this.

Jen

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna